Nine students injured by self- accelerated car: Samut Songkram

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were some incidents/accidents in Canada with stuck gas pedals on some Toyota pickups, after which there was a huge recall.

Logically you would shut off the ignition and hit the breaks, but people panic and don't act logically.

You write about skilled (Canadian) drivers, and acting logically... but this story is about Thailand, so... (Maybe not even something wrong with the accelerator pedal, but with stuck carpets, or even a clumsy right foot, and no brains in control...

time for thais to design, engineer and build their own cars... these foreign cars (including japanese and malay) cannot be trusted to function properly...

I guess you mean with Thais behind the steering wheel? Let them build Thai ultra-light cars, with a set of pedals but no engine, we would call it a (covered) bicycle, but better to use a posh name (ego) otherwise they won't buy it (Pentlay? Wolls? Nersedes? Morschi?), and make sure they're convinced to have invented it by themselves (pride)...

You cant expect thai's to multitask. Turining of the engine or hitting the brake will only cause more confusion.

Never two things at the same time in the LoS, I was taught that at arrival, very usefull to know... But then it means they need to have especially adapted cars, like the disabled people in our countries, is it?

There were some incidents/accidents in Canada with stuck gas pedals on some Toyota pickups, after which there was a huge recall.

Logically you would shut off the ignition and hit the breaks, but people panic and don't act logically.

Not only in Canada. My car was one of those re-called due to a floor mat being designed so that on occasion, it would prevent the accelerator from returning to it's home position.

It happened to me twice, but was easy enough to step on the brake to stop the car

Did it have to happen twice before you changed the floor mats, or, you didn't at all?

Aaah, self-accelerated Thais, what a dream that'd be, no need for Burmese and Cambodians anymore to do the hard jobs, productivity like in S.Korea, zero-error like in Japan, the tiger of ASEAN would be born... Didn't I tell I sometimes have fantastic, weird, dreams? Oh, sorry then... LOL

The driver does not know how to turn off the ignition?

I had a stuck accelerator pedal once while driving and killed the engine by turning off the ignition (via the key) and then cruised to a stop by the side of the road.

And besides that, how about using the brakes?? Don´t work too?

I had a stuck accelerator pedal once while driving and killed the engine by turning off the ignition (via the key) and then cruised to a stop by the side of the road.

May not necessarily be safe because you'd lose braking and possibly steering. Safer to shift into neutral (though you may blow the engine).

I think my Suzuki was designed by Microsoft.

To stop the engine I press the "Start" button. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Note the blue racing alloy's. self accelerated car. " driver to car STOP when I tell you" or you will be sold.

What's the significance of your comment about the car having alloy wheels or the colour of them? Millions of cars have them, even TV posters. They are not "racing" alloys.

Edited by Zeegator

He said he chose to steer the vehicle into the wall, not realising it would break through.

Translation - I thought this was Cookie Run and the car would jump over the wall if I pressed this button on my smartphone.

Note the blue racing alloy's. self accelerated car. " driver to car STOP when I tell you" or you will be sold.

What's the significance of your comment about the car having alloy wheels or the colour of them? Millions of cars have them, even TV posters. They are not "racing" alloys.

What rattled your cage--nothing wrong in what I said and I agree with you many people do have them,

Usually young minded sporty people, looking for faster looking motors, I have mags black /silver to match the car. They are not racing alloy's BUT are meant to look like them. Argue for what---?? Did you comment on the thread or are you just wanting to put the knife in using me for your outlet.

Strange a simple comment can bring the darker side of a person out-----lighten up--just a comment.

cobolt blue on a white car, makes it look a boy racer -that's all.

Note, on 2 pages you have not contributed to the topic, ONLY to pick up on a silly little nothingness observation on my post -why ??

Edited by ginjag

And besides that, how about using the brakes?? Don´t work too?

You do not want to do a sudden stop in flowing traffic. My method allowed my car to stop by the sidewalk driving from the outer lane.

Should one need to stop like in this case, cut the engine and apply brake.

A few years back seems like I remember Toyota had this problem world wide and there was some recall for this defect.

Had it happen one time in a toyota sedan in bkk, was in flowing traffic on the main road,

I remember just putting my left foot on the brake to control the speed and stamping on the gas pedal a few times and it came back up, but it never did it again.

its the time it takes for the percieved problem to first register in the brain followed by the 5 minutes or so pondering what action to take to in order to deal with the problem that is the issue. you see a 10 car pileup on the road because it takes them half a day to realise that those red lights getting bigger in front of them are in fact, stopping cars................"BANG!"

the only time that thought registers quickly is when its time to 'RUN'

I think you've hit the nail on head, not everyone reacts as some previous posters have commented when this kind of thing occurs. Panic can set in very quickly and logic goes out the window.

I was a Ford line tech in the States for nine years, Ford investigated a number of "self accelerating" vehicles during that time, they found that most out of control accelerations were caused by the fuel pedal becoming stuck under the floor mat.

• Like 1

Could trigger a massive global respons.........without naming the brand...in the US a ca manufacturing company had to pay millions of US dollars in order to settle lawsuits on 'out of controle' cars causing deaths.

Bit of a risk turning off ignition as normally would lock the steering as well

One click to turn off ignition, and two clicks or more will lock the steering wheel.

But you'd lose power steering too, some vehicles would be practically impossible to steer without it.

• Like 1

I was a Ford line tech in the States for nine years, Ford investigated a number of "self accelerating" vehicles during that time, they found that most out of control accelerations were caused by the fuel pedal becoming stuck under the floor mat.

Should be taught as part of defensive driving, like how to handle a skid.