Recording glasses (quality ones) cheaper in Bangkok or Canada?

hermespan

I am tempted to buy Pivothead (company now called Kudu due to copyright reasons they tell me) recording glasses to record my biking etc. But they are sooo expensive for plastic and a one hour maximum recording time. Company tells me that in October they are coming out with a new and improved version.

My hesitations are as follows...

1. No interchangeable lenbses included (contrary to Youtube reviews)

2. High price - $245 CAD with tax in BC

3. New model will presumably have more recording time Oprice unknown)

4. Although considerably cheaper in USA (e.g. B&H Photo in NY $199 USD), nobody has in stock.

I gues I am a dinosaur - I like to go into a brick and mortar store, discuss the product with a salesman, see it demonstrated, and buy for cash. Now retail seems to have gone online and credit cards/PayPal.

Anyway, aside that that issue, my question is whether this product and similar *quality* recording glasses are chaeper in Bangkok than say in Vancouver. Looked the product up on Craigslist and none available. A budy bought some 'spyware' devices at a kiosk at MBK and said it was garbage quality.

Definitely a cool gadget but I would be concerned with rain when riding.

I would think a sports action camera might be better.

Also any helmet visor might distort the recording of these glasses.

These would be great to expose fake police though.

I have considered GoPro. I will get that as well probably. Just bought a pair of the old Pivothead. Must say I am impressed with my test shoot. MUCH superior to similar products purchased fifteen years ago in USA.

Next question is because I have insufficient time to buy I cannot wait to get prescription lenses (same company does sell them). I am wondering how difficult it would be, or not at all, to just pop in a Bangkok optometrist and say pop *out* the lenses and say 'make these according to my prescription'.

if i see someone around me or my gf with a recording glass in bar or beach, i might create problems and many can do the samebiggrin.png dont like these kind of gadget as it is making us appear all over in youtube suddenly.

Andy Warhol's famous quote comes to my mind "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes" but i believe this will not be on TV but youtube!

Just get a sturdy and nice action cam, i believe much more flexible, good quality recording and more durable.

Edited by ll2

if i see someone around me or my gf with a recording glass in bar or beach, i might create problems and many can do the samebiggrin.png dont like these kind of gadget as it is making us appear all over in youtube suddenly.

Andy Warhol's famous quote comes to my mind "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes" but i believe this will not be on TV but youtube!

Just get a sturdy and nice action cam, i believe much more flexible, good quality recording and more durable.

I agree these should definitely be avoided in social situations, it's the equivalent of walking up to someone and sticking a camcorder in their face. I think the term 'glasshole' has been created for these types of people.

I can see the benefit for sports where you don't want much equipment e.g. rock climbing but I'd stick with a Go Pro or similar for biking. Better quality images, longer battery life etc. I don't really find glasses comfy under a properly fitting helmet either, they dig in at the side of my head.

• Like 1