Calculating the impact of job loses in Phuket

Bulldozer Dawn

I agree with OC's interpretation of Jimi's comment. Sad that you (BD) feel the need to be sarcastic rather than just accept his clarification.

Thank you OC and pagallim, at least your guys and most understood what I had written...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get some perspective on this 'poor people' nonsense.

A neighbour of ours had a beach chair 'concession' at Nai Harn which she had run with her husband (who died in the tsunami) and their 2 teenage children for a number of years.

Shortly before the coup she sold the concession for the sum of 14 million baht!

She had already accepted a deposit of 7 million baht and had arranged to receive the balance over the next 2 years but then the army arrived and everything changed.

Edited by Chainsaw

A neighbour of ours had a beach chair 'concession' at Nai Harn which she had run with her husband (who died in the tsunami) and their 2 teenage children for a number of years.

She had already accepted a deposit of 7 million baht and had arranged to receive the balance over the next 2 years but then the army arrived and everything changed.

14 million .... that's serious money. Oh well, lucky she got the 7 million before it all went pear shaped.

Actually Jimi, you kinda avoided the premise of my question and ran with whether prostitution is legal or not .

So, I'll ask it again;

would it be fair if any buddies were rounded up with prostitutes and arrested? Or somebody with a nominee company, I'm sure we all know people with those, some owning land were suddenly stripped of assets?

In short doing whatever thousands of others are doing, illegal yes , but sanctioned through lack of enforcement.

I couldn't say. I know very few farang here and I see them rarely and they have been here longer than I and have Thai wives. I know a lot more Thais than farangs. You seem to know more about how prostitution works here than I, it would seem. Again, apples to oranges… Right?

Do you not understand the mechanics of a hypothetical question? IF is the operative word. More likely you realize I have a point but find it difficult to concede and prefer use of obtuse comments.

You seem to know more about how prostitution works here than I, it would seem.

EB if you are in the vicinity you may like to get a snap and post it here.

My dear BD, I don't think he will, he told me he's not your buddy, so sad sad.png and after all the work you've done to keep us all informed about the 'class war'.

Pray tell us what we should do to prepare for the backlash from the 'poor' people. Should we be girding our loins in redness? - Sorry, I meant to say 'readiness' oops!

^ Is there anyone who can actually present a cohesive argument that the sudden evaporation of thousands of jobs will have no affect whatsoever on crime?

'cause the petty insults really aren't conclusive.

How about addressing the (incredibly flawed) poll in PN that "proved" most people think it will.

And if your story of 14 million is true , it actually proves the basis of the arguement that people are being hurt financially.

What has been achieved is the working class' ability to elevate their financial situation has evaporated. And many many of those workers are poor, and do have real concerns now about where will they get the rent. It truly is just... mean to discount their plight.

Ahem..

Well according to a poll on Phuket News, not many seem to agree with Bulldozer or EB.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/crime-not-a-big-issue-in-phuket-crackdown-poll-48037.php

Whoaaaaa there.

Ok. This might merit a letter to the editor for dismal math skills ( 101%) not to mention a piss poor survey in way of response framing.

28 %agree outright that crime will rise, 36 % say "neigh" and 28% claim they were already breaking the law so what's the difference .. and 9% say the army will mitigate the effects ostensibly of " .. a rise in crime," ( meaning the army will start behaving, well as they have been and forum rules prevent me from elaborating?)

28% yes + 28 "already were criminals so what's new...?" + 9% "Army will take care of it..." = 65 % vs. 36 % which equals er, 101%

The survery , and it is piss poor I admit, reads almost 2 to 1 believe crime will rise.

And even taking away the rather questionable and oddly framed 9 % of the Army will take care of it - 56% believe crime will rise.

SNIPPET

Most do not. Just 28 per cent agreed with the statement “I worry that there is going to be a huge rise in violent crime as people lose their livelihoods.”

Thirty-six per cent chose the option, “I don’t think so”, while another 9 per cent voted for “I trust the Army to mitigate the effects of unemployment.”

The remaining 28 per cent agreed with the statement, “The people encroaching, and the taxi mafia were already committing crimes, so what’s the difference?”

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/crime-not-a-big-issue-in-phuket-crackdown-poll-48037.php#sthash.MlQFbBUq.dpuf

14 million .... that's serious money. Oh well, lucky she got the 7 million before it all went pear shaped.

That's what I thought but I suspect the buyer is a tad miffed! sad.png

Not serious money...a lie.

We will work on 20 chairs in the concession and a 50 percent occupancy rate (to offset lowseason) and so the math pans out as follows:

20 chairs x 180 days x 100 THB per chair = 360,000 THB revenue per year

Less tea money to Nai Harn Or Bor Tor (estimated at 10% perhaps a lot higher) net 324,000

Less wages?

And so on to calculating the return period for the capital purchase.

14,000,000 THB / 324,000THB = 43.2 years

Tell me... who buys an illegal business with a 5 decade payback period?

Not serious money...a lie.

We will work on 20 chairs in the concession and a 50 percent occupancy rate (to offset lowseason) and so the math pans out as follows:

20 chairs x 180 days x 100 THB per chair = 360,000 THB revenue per year

Less tea money to Nai Harn Or Bor Tor (estimated at 10% perhaps a lot higher) net 324,000

Less wages?

Your 20 chairs is wrong to begin with. Most of the operators have 150-200 chairs( 5 rows of chairs, not the legal 2 rows). Throw in drinks and you're looking at a real good earner, not the peanuts that you calculated. Even local chair people know how to do the math and realize that they'll get their money back much quicker than 43.2 years.

• Like 1

Your 20 chairs is wrong to begin with. Most of the operators have 150-200 chairs( 5 rows of chairs, not the legal 2 rows). Throw in drinks and you're looking at a real good earner, not the peanuts that you calculated. Even local chair people know how to do the math and realize that they'll get their money back much quicker than 43.2 years.

Had...

Hasn't this thread been beaten enough?

Nobody can serious calculate job losses because nobody pays tax so it's incalculable.

I see hotels with signs for staff everywhere. Instead of complaining about being hard done by they should be looking for work.

Completely agree. Much much more than 20 chairs, plus the food & drink. Plus they don't pay any legal taxes.

Nobody can serious calculate job losses because nobody pays tax so it's incalculable.

I see hotels with signs for staff everywhere. Instead of complaining about being hard done by they should be looking for work.

Funny you say that as I look at my desk this morning I can see a huge pile of resumes from beach workers. Unfortunately beach restaurant workers aren't particularly suitable for a lot of other jobs. Most of them are not hotel trained so unlikely hotels will take them as you have suggested.

Funny you say that as I look at my desk this morning I can see a huge pile of resumes from beach workers. Unfortunately beach restaurant workers aren't particularly suitable for a lot of other jobs. Most of them are not hotel trained so unlikely hotels will take them as you have suggested.

Not likely trained? Are any trained in service standards? Unless you're a high end 5 star resort that matters but the Chinese and Russians aren't too picky as they just grunt and point their orders.
  • Like 1

Not serious money...a lie........ No it's not a lie, I leave the lies to you and your buddy EB.

No, WE won't. YOU will work on your (flawed) assumptions and, as usual, present them as if they were actual facts.

20 chairs x 180 days x 100 THB per chair = 360,000 THB revenue per year.

Less wages?

Where did you get these figures from? Evidence please or your statements are irrelevant.

Do you know any of the (ex) beach workers personally? I do, so please refrain from calling me a liar.

Edited by Chainsaw