Calculating the impact of job loses in Phuket

Bulldozer Dawn

Take a look around you BD, nobody needs to steal food or money to eat here in the tropics, food grows everywhere! Bananas, coconuts, jack fruit, mangoes, papaya etc.

Then there are frogs, lizards, snakes bugs etc. all considered to be delicacies here in S.E. Asia. My wife regularly collects Morning Glory and other plants to make a meal. Seafood is there for the catching.

My point - nobody is starving!

Do you even live in Thailand? I ask because you don't seem to have any idea of the realities of living here.

Wow..what a genius you are. Pray tell where are all these hunter gather opportunities in Phuket. Seafood is there for the catching....LOL...that is why 90 percent of the catch displayed in front of restaurants in Patong is farmed. And tell me more oh sage...where do these hunter gathers get money to pay for the kids schooling? So the reality for you of living in Thailand is wandering through a garden of Eden, plucking ripe fruit at your leisure to eat. Being able to steal an occasional roadside papaya does not feed a family you numptie.

As usual, diversion tactics.

My point was nobody will starve or needs to steal to eat as you so dramatically suggested. State education is free. I wonder why the fishing boats bother going out to sea if, as you say, 90% of the fish is farmed. (Where did you get that information from?) Many Thais go fishing here in the lakes and the sea, as I do sometimes.

I'm convinced that you don't live in Thailand, and probably have never been here as you seem to have no idea of the reality of living here.

You really are making yourself look ridiculous trying to paint a picture of Phuket which only exists in your own biased mind.

Do try to calm down and stop making up false statistics to justify your nonsense class war agenda. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

EB you are the photographer. Next time you are in Patong can you please walk past any of the seafood restaurants in the vacinity of No. 6 and take a snap of their {seafood} on ice out the front. And then post it here for Pain Bore to see. The prawns are all farmed. The fish is banquet Talapia and snakehead from Makro. If lucky one will see some local squid and a few crabs...most of which is shipped in from Phang nga. Occassinaly a protected seafish such as a reef shark or parrot fish will appear. Oh and Pain Bore, PM me if you want to meet in Phuket Town this afternoon for coffee...

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look around you BD, nobody needs to steal food or money to eat here in the tropics, food grows everywhere! Bananas, coconuts, jack fruit, mangoes, papaya etc.

Then there are frogs, lizards, snakes bugs etc. all considered to be delicacies here in S.E. Asia. My wife regularly collects Morning Glory and other plants to make a meal. Seafood is there for the catching.

My point - nobody is starving!

Do you even live in Thailand? I ask because you don't seem to have any idea of the realities of living here.

Wow..what a genius you are. Pray tell where are all these hunter gather opportunities in Phuket. Seafood is there for the catching....LOL...that is why 90 percent of the catch displayed in front of restaurants in Patong is farmed. And tell me more oh sage...where do these hunter gathers get money to pay for the kids schooling? So the reality for you of living in Thailand is wandering through a garden of Eden, plucking ripe fruit at your leisure to eat. Being able to steal an occasional roadside papaya does not feed a family you numptie.

As usual, diversion tactics.

My point was nobody will starve or needs to steal to eat as you so dramatically suggested. State education is free. I wonder why the fishing boats bother going out to sea if, as you say, 90% of the fish is farmed. (Where did you get that information from?) Many Thais go fishing here in the lakes and the sea, as I do sometimes.

I'm convinced that you don't live in Thailand, and probably have never been here as you seem to have no idea of the reality of living here.

You really are making yourself look ridiculous trying to paint a picture of Phuket which only exists in your own biased mind.

Do try to calm down and stop making up false statistics to justify your nonsense class war agenda. jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

EB you are the photographer. Next time you are in Patong can you please walk past any of the seafood restaurants in the vacinity of No. 6 and take a snap of their {seafood} on ice out the front. And then post it here for Pain Bore to see. The prawns are all farmed. The fish is banquet Talapia and snakehead from Makro. If lucky one will see some local squid and a few crabs...most of which is shipped in from Phang nga. Occassinaly a protected seafish such as a reef shark or parrot fish will appear. Oh and Pain Bore, PM me if you want to meet in Phuket Town this afternoon for coffee...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To keep BD/BTB and Eblair48 in the loop, There have been many reports in other news outlets reporting that all of those that lost jobs will have help to find new jobs, and or assistance. BTW BD/BTB, parents don't have to pay for school, as the gov't covers the cost.

Your're joking right...do I really have to google and paste here all of the links to the articles from the Phuket gazette that appear every year at the commencement of school showing the masses of Thais crowding the Government pawn shops using their gold jewelry to borrow money. Jeesuz.

You're joking right? What does going to a pawn shop have to do with free education? I would think it has more to do with poor money management and not saving for a rainy day to make the car payments on the car they never really could afford. BTW, what is Jeesuz BTB?

To keep BD/BTB and Eblair48 in the loop, There have been many reports in other news outlets reporting that all of those that lost jobs will have help to find new jobs, and or assistance. BTW BD/BTB, parents don't have to pay for school, as the gov't covers the cost.

Your're joking right...do I really have to google and paste here all of the links to the articles from the Phuket gazette that appear every year at the commencement of school showing the masses of Thais crowding the Government pawn shops using their gold jewelry to borrow money. Jeesuz.

You're joking right? What does going to a pawn shop have to do with free education? I would think it has more to do with poor money management and not saving for a rainy day to make the car payments on the car they never really could afford. BTW, what is Jeesuz BTB?

Thais use their gold as a savings account, when they need money, they borrow on it as they get a much better rate from the gold shop then a loan shark…

• Like 1

...if education is free as you claim, why do the Thais hit the pawn shop just prior to the start of school each year.

Edited by LivinginKata
insut removed

...if education is free as you claim, why do the Thais hit the pawn shop just prior to the start of school each year.

As previously stated, poor money management, but feel free to stand in the queue and ask them BTB. BTW, I don't claim it's free, I know it's free after talking to many people that tell me this FACT.

Steelpulse. Here are four separate news articles about Phuket Thais using Pawn shops to fund back to school expenses. And yet you claim education for Thais is free. Best you pop down to your doctor and get him to change your meds.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/New-school-year-means-busy-Phuket-pawnshops/21054#ad-image-0

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Brisk-business-Phuket-City-Pawnshop-schools-reopen/14948#ad-image-0

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-pawnshops-busy-April/8753

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-pawnshop-bolstered-B130mn-students-head-back/29302#ad-image-0

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

Well if you have to go to a pawnshop for school supplies, once again I'll say that's poor cash management. Now if the Thais think they need to put their children in private schools, that's their perogative, but once again shows poor cash management. Why does anyone go to a pawnshop? Answer, poor cash management.

Remind me again how the thread is about job losses hurting the economy, yet your pawnshop links have nothing to do with this, especially since they predate the needed cleanup. Perhaps it's you BTB that needs some new meds, as I'm not the once switching nics and banging on about class war.

• Like 2

Well if you have to go to a pawnshop for school supplies, once again I'll say that's poor cash management.

That could be a bit too harsh. These people often don't have much cash to manage, barely enough to scrape by. Any unexpected setback like a child needing medical care lands them into trouble.

Well according to a poll on Phuket News, not many seem to agree with Bulldozer or EB.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/crime-not-a-big-issue-in-phuket-crackdown-poll-48037.php

Whoaaaaa there.

Ok. This might merit a letter to the editor for dismal math skills ( 101%) not to mention a piss poor survey in way of response framing.

28 %agree outright that crime will rise, 36 % say "neigh" and 28% claim they were already breaking the law so what's the difference .. and 9% say the army will mitigate the effects ostensibly of " .. a rise in crime," ( meaning the army will start behaving, well as they have been and forum rules prevent me from elaborating?)

28% yes + 28 "already were criminals so what's new...?" + 9% "Army will take care of it..." = 65 % vs. 36 % which equals er, 101%

The survery , and it is piss poor I admit, reads almost 2 to 1 believe crime will rise.

And even taking away the rather questionable and oddly framed 9 % of the Army will take care of it - 56% believe crime will rise.

SNIPPET

Most do not. Just 28 per cent agreed with the statement “I worry that there is going to be a huge rise in violent crime as people lose their livelihoods.”

Thirty-six per cent chose the option, “I don’t think so”, while another 9 per cent voted for “I trust the Army to mitigate the effects of unemployment.”

The remaining 28 per cent agreed with the statement, “The people encroaching, and the taxi mafia were already committing crimes, so what’s the difference?”

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/crime-not-a-big-issue-in-phuket-crackdown-poll-48037.php#sthash.MlQFbBUq.dpuf
Edited by EBlair48

^Some are resorting to personal attacks now, always a sign their argument is weak.

Yes I agree, have a word with your buddy BD, he seems to be a tad miffed as he's started name calling now.

BD is not my "buddy" I have no idea who he is except it has been posted BD used a different name at one time, (as probably about 75% of the forum roll.) I really don't see how it is relevant to this argument, or any other, we are all just names on a board..

But I do think when personal slurs are used , or the all too often rude emoticons ( the lazy writer's tool) and intrusive personality analysis is used to incite hostility, or posts are made simply to invite attack from others, the discourse suffers.

BD and I happen to agree that what is missing from all the sudden enforcement activity is questioning of local officials, much less indictments. To me, that shows this is not a real crackdown on corruption, but a show of power that is picking on those least likely to defend themselves. Bullying.

I have posted many times and no one has seen fit to answer me, but many laws are broken every day by many expats, namely prostitution and nominee companies. Would it be fair to suddenly round up those foreigners and prosecute them for what " everyone does...," for decades?

Edited by EBlair48

^Some are resorting to personal attacks now, always a sign their argument is weak.

Yes I agree, have a word with your buddy BD, he seems to be a tad miffed as he's started name calling now.

BD is not my "buddy" I have no idea who he is except it has been posted BD used a different name at one time, (as probably about 75% of the forum roll.) I really don't see how it is relevant to this argument, or any other, we are all just names on a board..

But I do think when personal slurs are used , or the all too often rude emoticons ( the lazy writer's tool) and intrusive personality analysis is used to incite hostility, or posts are made simply to invite attack from others, the discourse suffers.

BD and I happen to agree that what is missing from all the sudden enforcement activity is questioning of local officials, much less indictments. To me, that shows this is not a real crackdown on corruption, but a show of power that is picking on those least likely to defend themselves. Bullying.

I have posted many times and no one has seen fit to answer me, but many laws are broken every day by many expats, namely prostitution and nominee companies. Would it be fair to suddenly round up those foreigners and prosecute them for what " everyone does...," for decades?

I responded to many of those posts with factual information, yet you chose to ignore and keep posting the same redundant posts. Good luck with your "crusade!"

I responded to many of those posts with factual information, yet you chose to ignore and keep posting the same redundant posts. Good luck with your "crusade!"

The problem, my dear Jimi, is that you mistake your opinions as fact. And just because you keep posting the same opinions, it doesn't make them a fact.

Anyway, I was at Surin today, and the efforts to clear the businesses from the western side of the beach esplanade have now been rendered entirely facile. Because the storms have destroyed the road at the southern end and the remaining businesses on the landward side of the road are now beachfront anyway.

EB if you are in the vicinity you may like to get a snap and post it here.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

The problem, my dear Jimi, is that you mistake your opinions as fact. And just because you keep posting the same opinions, it doesn't make them a fact.

Anyway, I was at Surin today, and the efforts to clear the businesses from the western side of the beach esplanade have now been rendered entirely facile. Because the storms have destroyed the road at the southern end and the businesses on the landward side of the road are now beachfront anyway.

Yet you think your posts are factual? LOL! Good luck with that!

The sea will always reclaim land that that is taken from it. I've seen it many, many times in my lifetime, living at the beach.

Actually Jimi, you kinda avoided the premise of my question and ran with whether prostitution is legal or not .

So, I'll ask it again;

would it be fair if any buddies were rounded up with prostitutes and arrested? Or somebody with a nominee company, I'm sure we all know people with those, some owning land were suddenly stripped of assets?

In short doing whatever thousands of others are doing, illegal yes , but sanctioned through lack of enforcement.

Actually Jimi, you kinda avoided the premise of my question and ran with whether prostitution is legal or not .

So, I'll ask it again;

would it be fair if any buddies were rounded up with prostitutes and arrested? Or somebody with a nominee company, I'm sure we all know people with those, some owning land were suddenly stripped of assets?

In short doing whatever thousands of others are doing, illegal yes , but sanctioned through lack of enforcement.

I couldn't say. I know very few farang here and I see them rarely and they have been here longer than I and have Thai wives. I know a lot more Thais than farangs. You seem to know more about how prostitution works here than I, it would seem. Again, apples to oranges… Right?

Edited by Jimi007

>>BD and I happen to agree that what is missing from all the sudden enforcement activity is questioning of local officials, much less indictments.

I don't agree with BD or EB often, but I definitely agree that at some point ( maybe after public vs. private property boundaries are established), the local politicians that pocketed millions of baht need to be held accountable. Perhaps evidence is being gathered as we speak.

• Like 2

>>BD and I happen to agree that what is missing from all the sudden enforcement activity is questioning of local officials, much less indictments.

I don't agree with BD or EB often, but I definitely agree that at some point ( maybe after public vs. private property boundaries are established), the local politicians that pocketed millions of baht need to be held accountable. Perhaps evidence is being gathered as we speak.

How long does it take to compare banks accounts with monthly salary?

So, I'll ask it again;

I couldn't say. I know very few farang here and I see them rarely and they have been here longer than I and have Thai wives. I know a lot more Thais than farangs. You seem to know more about how prostitution works here than I, it would seem. Again, apples to oranges… Right?

Hmmm. You see farang rarely huh? But in your other posts you say you are a surfer, visit the beach regularly, and live at the beach. If you are a surfer then you are using the West coast beaches...and so then dear Jimi...tell me what west coast beaches in Phuket you can visit regularly and RARELY see another farang?

Please stop stating your opinions like they are facts.

So, I'll ask it again;

Hmmm. You see farang rarely huh? But in your other posts you say you are a surfer, visit the beach regularly, and live at the beach. If you are a surfer then you are using the West coast beaches...and so then dear Jimi...tell me what west coast beaches in Phuket you can visit regularly and RARELY see another farang?

Please stop stating your opinions like they are facts.

Just read this, It seems very plain that Jimi007 stated that he knows very few farang and only sees them (the people he knows) rarely.

He didn't say he rarely sees farang! He lives in Rawai <deleted>.

• Like 1

Just read this, It seems very plain that Jimi007 stated that he knows very few farang and only sees them (the people he knows) rarely.

He didn't say he rarely sees farang! He lives in Rawai <deleted>.

Best if Old Croc sticks to scrounging around trying to save a few satang on some drainage grates. How is the flooding in the last few days?

I agree with OC's interpretation of Jimi's comment. Sad that you (BD) feel the need to be sarcastic rather than just accept his clarification.

EB if you are in the vicinity you may like to get a snap and post it here.

My dear BD, I don't think he will, he told me he's not your buddy, so sad sad.png and after all the work you've done to keep us all informed about the 'class war'.

Pray tell us what we should do to prepare for the backlash from the 'poor' people. Should we be girding our loins in redness? - Sorry, I meant to say 'readiness' oops!