Street resistance: Bangkok vendors say new sidewalk rules hurt business

webfact

Actually they are just trying to turn it back into thailand. 45 years ago there were few street vendors and those that did had to carry their goods and keep moving to sell..Wooden pole with two baskets full of goods which by rights should have not been put on the ground but actually were for short periods before the seller moved on for fear of getting caught. Every moobahn..district had a market however usually within 150 metres or so reach of everyone which sold local fresh goods and also had stalls for itterent vendors to sell their wares. The idea for putting them back into local off street spaces is just turning it back to Thai.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares? i mean really. i live on lower sukhumvit and can not think of one instance where i was genuinely delayed or inconvenienced.

So you never try to walk from Soi 1 downwards towards Asok? I do not believe you.

I do everyday and I agree with him, you might get stuck for few seconds by some oblivious to the fact there are other people around but so what?

It's hardly the end of the world and we do live in a city. You go to MBK, Pantip, Pratunam and it's every bit as bad...........all part of city life my friend.

Yes, everyday, but you never mentioned night, MBK, Pantip etc are meant for shopping, sidewalks are meant for walking. You obviously don't know the difference.

who cares? i mean really. i live on lower sukhumvit and can not think of one instance where i was genuinely delayed or inconvenienced.

So you never try to walk from Soi 1 downwards towards Asok? I do not believe you.

sure i walk sukhumvit, if im out for a drink or showing friends around. I live on 11 as i have for the last 15 some odd years and i went to Vasu on 13 twice last week to exchange cash.

there are very few imperative services on that stretch, sorry i chose this area for its convenience and that has not changed.

if i have to get anywhere quickly im generally on the back of a bike. in a cab or on the train. the yellow route from 1 to askoke is quite efficient thank you, sukhumvit can be avoided completely.

but then as i said, i have lived in the area for the last 15 years, and i have accepted it as what it is. the vendors were there when i got here, and i accepted them as part of my new neighborhood

far more inconvenient is the more recent invasion of the vw bars on 11, and the population increase caused by the 5 or 6 new condominiums and hotels as they stop car and bike traffic as well.

So, as i said, i could not care less. it doesn't bother or inconvenience me AT ALL.

sure i walk sukhumvit, if im out for a drink or showing friends around. I live on 11 as i have for the last 15 some odd years and i went to Vasu on 13 twice last week to exchange cash.

there are very few imperative services on that stretch, sorry i chose this area for its convenience and that has not changed.

if i have to get anywhere quickly im generally on the back of a bike. in a cab or on the train. the yellow route from 1 to askoke is quite efficient thank you, sukhumvit can be avoided completely.

but then as i said, i have lived in the area for the last 15 years, and i have accepted it as what it is. the vendors were there when i got here, and i accepted them as part of my new neighborhood

far more inconvenient is the more recent invasion of the vw bars on 11, and the population increase caused by the 5 or 6 new condominiums and hotels as they stop car and bike traffic as well.

So, as i said, i could not care less. it doesn't bother or inconvenience me AT ALL.

That's fine, if your happy then that's all that matters, if I want to go from Nana to Asok, or vice versa, I always walk it, and I resent that I cannot walk without all the inconvenience of vendors on BOTH sides of the sidewalk, and have to walk on the road.

• Like 1

About time that people in wheelchairs will get equal access to the sidewalks. In Thailand handicapped people are being discriminated by not providing any facilities on public areas. Street vendors are the worst!

I'm for that but to those that can walk have a hard enough time walking on some of these sidewalks. I wonder what shape these are in if the vendors are removed?

That's fine, if your happy then that's all that matters, if I want to go from Nana to Asok, or vice versa, I always walk it, and I resent that I cannot walk without all the inconvenience of vendors on BOTH sides of the sidewalk, and have to walk on the road.

the other side is not nearly as congested, as you should well know. perhaps we can arrange the authorities clear the sidewalks on days you decide to go walkabout.

personally, i find sukhumvit rather dismal on vendor free days

Hoohaa, I am trying to debate with you in a civil manner, there is no need to be sarcastic. I will finish this debate by saying that the vast majority of TV members who walk between Nana and Asok and according to the amount of posts here, are greatly inconvenienced by vendors on BOTH sides of the sidewalk, and you seem to be about the only one who says he is not. as I said if you are happy about it then that is fine. Debate finished.

• Like 1

Or make a nice fee for using the sidewalks. So for all the hassle some funds come in.

Um, the local constabulary do in fact make a nice fee for allowing the chintz vendors and the sidewalk bars to operate.

That's the root of the problem.

Most of the police units here are underfunded, and the cops are underpaid. They are expected to, and pretty much have to, make up the difference in other ways. Charging for the use of sidewalk space is one of the more benign ways in which that can be done. If the government wants to get rid of corruption in the ranks of the police, step one should be to adequately fund the units, and to pay the cops an adequate salary.

Vendors say new sidewalk rules hurt business

How much tax do they pay? how many actually registered as a business?

You haven't been here long have you.

They pay about 10,000 b a day 'tax'.

now you are making things up

• Like 2

I would say vendors are technically breaking the law by using sidewalks in this manner. They only remain there through tea money to those who are supposed to maintain the law. Now they are being asked to move back, I wonder if police are also complaining about his as it hurts their extra income laugh.png . Why not have areas set aside for vendors and have them (officially) pay a fee to use the space. I bet none of them are paying tax even though some would be earning over the minimum threshold.

I do not see the Junta making jobs , I do see them killing off a lot of jobs......

Most of the people you see are just workers , the bosses own the stuff and pay off the cops to use the street ,

if the Junta wants to start something than go after who is charging the vendors for the sidewalk space , I doubt any of that is going to the city ,

then put signs up saying walk single file , maybe like the airport , one lane to walk and one for baby carriages , stopping to buy anything or even look, etc

I can stand most of the shops , but I buy very little from the ones around Sukhumvit .....

And then we can kill off the Africian street bars...... who is in charge of those and how full are their pockets !

I see the realisation that the 0.01% inflation rate is a bit of a myth when so many people are working in unlawful or illegal jobs.

Street vendors are a nice quaint part of thailand, sometimes.

Or make a nice fee for using the sidewalks. So for all the hassle some funds come in.

Um, the local constabulary do in fact make a nice fee for allowing the chintz vendors and the sidewalk bars to operate.

That's the root of the problem.

Most of the police units here are underfunded, and the cops are underpaid. They are expected to, and pretty much have to, make up the difference in other ways. Charging for the use of sidewalk space is one of the more benign ways in which that can be done. If the government wants to get rid of corruption in the ranks of the police, step one should be to adequately fund the units, and to pay the cops an adequate salary.

Well now you have explained the circle of corruption that exists in Thailand. There isn't the money in the coffers to pay the police becasue a huge percentage of businesses pay no taxes.

You cannot pay the police with money you don't have forever.

These parasites give no thought to the peoples businesses that they set up in front of and i suggest that none of them pay any taxes or contribute in any way to the maintenance of services...ie rubbish collection etc.

• Like 2

I wonder if the electricity supply for the lights in that photo is legally provided.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif If you believe in Santa Clause you will believe they pay for electricty

Don't worry about "who", some one is paying. Or do you think that the electricity suppliers are giving it away for free?

Good move! I agree with this policy as it is a real pain in the ass walking and stumbling between this illegal squatters.... but i doubt it will last that long.... soon back to normal as the high (rip off) season is approaching.

So i just enjoy the moment as is :-)