Immigration Bureau told to be flexible with 'visa runners'

Current Topic

Since this topic is riddled with speculation, think it wise TV members sit back and await the next spell-binding announcement, which hopefully rattles the well protected patched domains of the self-appointed Farang/Thaihood, who will feel even more threatened, if things are made easier for newcomers or even past 'dare I say it ' OVERSTAYERS !!!

It is truly AMAZING that these reprobates get so uptight at things that don't really concern them given that they have NO POWER - NO RIGHTS - NO VOTE !!

Where does it state that Thailand 'is at its best' and more open to accepting (spendthrifts- LOL) senior citizens before any young guns!!!! Pray tell me, do these old codgers contribute more than these poor despised Teachers who help children in their droves to learn to speak other languages. I think not. SO why, do they attack them so furiously with loathsome hateful spite? What harm are they doing? Are you really suggesting they are of the criminal division? I admire them. Leave them alone your only jealous.

Ever so vigilant decrepit One Foot In The Grave aged men.

Socially incorrect in behavior, standing on their TV Soapbox, entering the arena masquerading as some strong force you should not be reckoned with, both guns blazing full of furor, with exaggerated zeal embroiled by discontent, thus pouring scorn on others for their personal vendetta against anyone not having the much adored and respected - pension plans & savings club entry. Thus, regardless of others being too young to be in this pension circle cannot take onboard’ many younger people have much more money, nevertheless not reached the retirement age as yet and should be thrown out the country for committing such a monstrosity. That, as far as they’re concerned’ is an effrontery and should not be adequate to allow them to stay in Thailand.

Time all this longstanding garbage was cleared and thrown out. Out with the OLD and in with the NEW….

I’ve become accustomed to their constant verbal abuse and no longer take it to heart. Particularly, whether I’m ridiculed with their constant vile verbosity posted as some disdainful reply or subjugated at every given moment for daring to offend these elderly parasites. However, one should remember. If it was not for their obnoxious input, TV would not be what it is in the forum stakes since, these elderly grumpy old barstewards keep the topics alive and kicking although, unfortunately, can’t say the same for their limited time here on earth.

I suppose they don’t have much else to do after moaning at their wives or after kicking the dog up the**ehole then getting prepared to join their sewer rat pack for the current day’s events. Thus, to see who they can patronize, including beating them to pulp with help from the other cronies with the usual line of unadulterated abuse. It’s incredible, they are so damn hostile and never ever relent.

Anyway, Morning ALL !!!!

.......... cheesy.gif

I am an old bastard... and I too, often wonder about the vitriol/venom that is posted against people, who really have no impact on my life... or on the lives of the other cranky old bastards around the place...

Live and let live I reckon.... Life is too short to worry about what the "other" bloke is doing.... worry about what you are doing, I reckon.

ScotBkk..... an enjoyable post.... made me smile... but man, there is a lot of truth to it.

Thank you for your true feelings and personal portrayal.

I am not anti elderly -people - just ant-abusive with ALL shiite served up by these moronic elders giving off the Big - I AM .. BS !!!

So much truth also in what you've said albeit shorter than my own Post however my friend, we are on the same level and going in the same direction..

Cheers ....... clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

in circles

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The most vitriol I have found on these various topics comes from those who ask why the Thai officialdom does not accommodate those who want to work online as sole practitioners and add nothing to the Thai IT infrastructure online capabilities by virtue especially of providing jobs for Thai citizens within that industry and then -- when you try to answer that question -- heap a bunch of abuse on you as to why YOU don't want them here.

Why do all the white people expect, demand, want Thailand to bend over and let anybody into the country for any reason??? I'm extremely befuddled at this attitude. Why in the hell do you think your are entitled to anything in this country? Its not your country its theirs and you are a GUEST. You get the square root of zero say-so in the matter, quit your GD bitching and whining all the time. Do your home countries allow foreigners in your country as easy as here? NO! Most of the time you people make me sick with expecting Thailand to bend over to your foreign desires. Give it a faaking break.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

U need get laid mate
  • Like 1

"So, this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides," he said during his weekly TV programme.

How about enforcing the schools to adhere to the law and providing work permits instead of keeping teachers semi-illegal.

That would be a good idea if only the process for getting a work permit wasn't so ridiculously complicated and expensive! Maybe an overhaul of the whole system followed by such an enforcement would be a better solution.

Getting a work permit is not difficult nor expensive. The reason schools don't get work permits is one of two reasons, either they don't qualify or they don't want to pay the taxes on the teachers salary. Schools give excuses it's expensive and difficult. More or less the teachers are working under the table and no taxes are being paid. The cost for a work permit is a little less than 3000B.
True that the fees for work permit are 3,000 B, and true that some places are concerned with dodging taxes, but the costs and difficulties associated with this ridiculous system are huge indeed. I'm not making it up: I have just received my own work permit and the total cost was close to 40,000 B, and that figure does not take into account all the time, hassle and stress involved!

40k is nothing for the company getting farang

U need thai employees. U need pay tax and social for them

U need pay tax and social for farang

Need pay his account

Thats where real costs..

Thats a lot all together..

Edited by mataleo

The most vitriol I have found on these various topics comes from those who ask why the Thai officialdom does not accommodate those who want to work online as sole practitioners and add nothing to the Thai IT infrastructure online capabilities by virtue especially of providing jobs for Thai citizens within that industry and then -- when you try to answer that question -- heap a bunch of abuse on you as to why YOU don't want them here.

Just maybe, this particular issue will be addressed as and when the recent or should say last TV offer of putting to bed relevant matters to some people living/working/residing in Thailand whenever this information comes back from their meetings

But then again, I wouldn’t hold my breath. rolleyes.gif

Righto. My young niece, recently graduated as a beauty/health therapist in the UK. She applied for a job with a local THAI Beauty/Thai massage shop. She was concerned that she hadn't heard from the owner for some time after her interview, as the Thai owner had told her she would let her know 'one way or the other' whether her application had been successful. This of course set off bells with me, a Thai actually bothering to call to say 'sorry we've hired another Thai' which is what had actually happened of course, (can't push an English native around, they don't understand 'patronage'). But, the UK has Equal Opportunity laws and therefore the THAI business owner had to advertise the vacancy to all, regardless of ethnicity. Something you'll never see here.

So enough with those of you who've lost the plot and 'oh, but we must provide work for the poor Thais'. Pah! That's what the Burmese and Cambodians are for. Ask your THAI neighbours.

• Like 2

Why do all the white people expect, demand, want Thailand to bend over and let anybody into the country for any reason??? I'm extremely befuddled at this attitude. Why in the hell do you think your are entitled to anything in this country? Its not your country its theirs and you are a GUEST. You get the square root of zero say-so in the matter, quit your GD bitching and whining all the time. Do your home countries allow foreigners in your country as easy as here? NO! Most of the time you people make me sick with expecting Thailand to bend over to your foreign desires. Give it a faaking break.

U need get laid mate

Laid-out more like (when he passes) lol ..... cheesy.gif

U need get laid mate

you find death funny?

haha what a joke, seriously this system is a giant joke. It's as if drunk children and making decisions each day and changing them the next. Amazing Thailand where the ride never stops

I have to agree.

Having been involved in policy implementation planning in Australia I just cant understand why the implications of this policy werent thoroughly considered before being implemented.

OK, all govts stuff up and unimagined results often come about from even the most well prepared policies in all countries. And most govts all over the world are guilty of hasty and ill considered policy implementation.

But this was an obvious result of the crackdown policy, and many people predicted it immediately it was announced.

What a huge loss of face for those in govt involved!

And what a lot of needless pain and disruption for those whose only offence is to be employed by a bodgy school who cant be arsed to get them a work permit (and similar situations).

U need get laid mate

you find death funny?

Pray tell me, what's the matter with you my mate. Have you no humour. I noticed your posts are usually lets say' not of the comical nature .... are you saying that all posters in here must very Polite and others don't appreciate any banter .... even if it doesn't meet your approval .... Get a life my friend ....Life is so short even shorter still for some ..... cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Being a native English speaker, who majored in English, minored in German and who is in his 2nd work permit - that's the experience of a friend who taught at our local secondary school for a year before taking a slot at a bigger school in a city. He visited again and news of his visit brought a buzz of excitement among the teachers. He was liked by staff an students alike, and is missed. He was one who did prepare for classes... and made it interesting. thumbsup.gif

Observing teachers and certifying their effectiveness sounds to me like one interim step to keep him and others - longer..

The thing is, he's not sure he'll be allowed another work permit. As he's seeing the rules, he's only allowed two work permits before he either takes teacher courses or needs to cease teaching. (Currently, his only teacher's course is TEFL.)

The confusion as to what is required or not - that alone may force him to plan to leave the country. How many others are also caught in this? unsure.png

A degree would be nice. Just like we need in Farang world. Unqualified teachers should not teach.

Insult to the profession. Go practice law. Why not. This is Thailand

He has a degree - a Bachelor of Arts in English, his minor is German (so he has studied linguistics.) He has taken courses in Thai while here and can read and write in Thai after only a year (something my eyes and hand-eye co-ordination as a retiree have failed to accomplish) He speaks Thai in the precise manner of a student rather than with the fluidity of a person who uses it constantly, but his studies have given him a better vocabulary and control of tone in conveying complex concepts than I manage after 7 years of picking it up around the village.

What many here are missing is the opportunity to keep the young adventurous types who have the youth allowing them to acquire the skills I just mentioned. Neural patterns of listening to tones (as in Thai) are very different than listening to the endings on words (needed for European languages) and those who have studied in England, the USA or Australia to be teachers are unlikely to be the same set of people wandering the planet and looking for staying awhile to explore a culture.

Once the requirements mount for native speakers - beyond the basic one of a bachelor's degree - then these young, culturally attuned wanders are basically told to wander elsewhere. whistling.gif

NOTE: In my post I described his expression of confusion. It is that the rules are stated differently in different places, and the uncertainty of what will be the governing rules as his case draws near is a sufficient uncertainty that he's thinking of just looking elsewhere.

Westerners like to have some plans - maybe not multiple years at a time, but a year or so out is where at least this one friend is desiring a bit better certainty, even if it means he becomes certain to move elsewhere. wai.gif

Pray tell me, what's the matter with you my mate. Have you no humour. I noticed your posts are usually lets say' not of the comical nature .... are you saying that all posters in here must very Polite and others don't appreciate any banter .... even if it doesn't meet your approval .... Get a life my friend ....Life is so short even shorter still for some ..... cheesy.gif

i'll take that as a yes. no surprise there

Visa rules to be relaxed

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has been told to be flexible with "visa runners", junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday.

In his weekly televised address yesterday, Prayuth said those going on visa runs can register with the bureau, which will then find a way to resolve the problem.

Foreigners have been exploiting tourist visas and visas on arrival to work illegally in Thailand, mostly as English teachers. When their visa is about to expire, they go to a neighbouring country for a new visa and return to continue with their illegal jobs.

Upon taking over, the junta decided to tighten the rules, deciding not to re-issue visas and threatening those who overstay their visa with deportation. However, Prayuth admitted that this crackdown had considerably affected certain groups.

"This is a problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and tour guides," he said

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Visa-rules-to-be-relaxed-30241597.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-08-23

I find this AMAZING

Especially for a Thai

to do something than to see it was wrong and admit it was and reverse themselves.

Usually they would just not enforce it. and let it go without saying anything

Edited by phuketrichard

Being a native English speaker, who majored in English, minored in German and who is in his 2nd work permit - that's the experience of a friend who taught at our local secondary school for a year before taking a slot at a bigger school in a city. He visited again and news of his visit brought a buzz of excitement among the teachers. He was liked by staff an students alike, and is missed. He was one who did prepare for classes... and made it interesting. thumbsup.gif

Observing teachers and certifying their effectiveness sounds to me like one interim step to keep him and others - longer..

The thing is, he's not sure he'll be allowed another work permit. As he's seeing the rules, he's only allowed two work permits before he either takes teacher courses or needs to cease teaching. (Currently, his only teacher's course is TEFL.)

The confusion as to what is required or not - that alone may force him to plan to leave the country. How many others are also caught in this? unsure.png

A degree would be nice. Just like we need in Farang world. Unqualified teachers should not teach.

Insult to the profession. Go practice law. Why not. This is Thailand

He has a degree - a Bachelor of Arts in English, his minor is German (so he has studied linguistics.) He has taken courses in Thai while here and can read and write in Thai after only a year (something my eyes and hand-eye co-ordination as a retiree have failed to accomplish) He speaks Thai in the precise manner of a student rather than with the fluidity of a person who uses it constantly, but his studies have given him a better vocabulary and control of tone in conveying complex concepts than I manage after 7 years of picking it up around the village.

What many here are missing is the opportunity to keep the young adventurous types who have the youth allowing them to acquire the skills I just mentioned. Neural patterns of listening to tones (as in Thai) are very different than listening to the endings on words (needed for European languages) and those who have studied in England, the USA or Australia to be teachers are unlikely to be the same set of people wandering the planet and looking for staying awhile to explore a culture.

Once the requirements mount for native speakers - beyond the basic one of a bachelor's degree - then these young, culturally attuned wanders are basically told to wander elsewhere. whistling.gif

NOTE: In my post I described his expression of confusion. It is that the rules are stated differently in different places, and the uncertainty of what will be the governing rules as his case draws near is a sufficient uncertainty that he's thinking of just looking elsewhere.

Westerners like to have some plans - maybe not multiple years at a time, but a year or so out is where at least this one friend is desiring a bit better certainty, even if it means he becomes certain to move elsewhere. wai.gif

Good Post

People in here are too quick of the mark ready to judge, condemn, until or even proved innocent with a follow up reply. Nobody, in this den of constant abuse is immune to attack, whether with good intent or not. There are some excellent scholars and fellow academics alike who give their penny's worth on TV. However, its all in vein and a complete and utter waste of time or pent-up energy unless of course your part of the hang em' LYNCH MOB .. that patrols these topics ..

Well thats my view my friend.. ......

• Like 2

Getting a work permit is not difficult nor expensive. The reason schools don't get work permits is one of two reasons, either they don't qualify or they don't want to pay the taxes on the teachers salary. Schools give excuses it's expensive and difficult. More or less the teachers are working under the table and no taxes are being paid. The cost for a work permit is a little less than 3000B.

True that the fees for work permit are 3,000 B, and true that some places are concerned with dodging taxes, but the costs and difficulties associated with this ridiculous system are huge indeed. I'm not making it up: I have just received my own work permit and the total cost was close to 40,000 B, and that figure does not take into account all the time, hassle and stress involved!
Why did it cost you 40,000B? Did you pay someone to get it for you? Your company is suppose to pay the fees for it. Dont know why it cost you 40K my staff have been taking care of mine for years and the cost is 2700B. To get the WP you need to have you B visa which you need to show you paid your taxes.

For the last few days I have been putting together a breakdown of the real costs of getting a work permit, and I will post them on this forum as soon as the lengthy, complicated process is finished. But here's a sneak preview: yes the FEE for a work permit is 2,700 (actually 3,000 at the office where I am applying), but there's so many more costs associated, the biggest of which is one you already mentioned: the B visa. A return flight to Singapore, hotels, expenses etc, plus the visa fees is close to 20k already. (Singapore is the only one of the neighbouring embassies that will process the visa without a WP3 form - ie Laos is not an option)

Then there's the fact that I live in a different province from where the company is based, so have to travel a long way to go to the WP office (twice). Another 10k.

Plus the fact that the company I work for has never done this before, that meant a lot of messing around trying to arrange the absurdly thick stack of documents required (this is hard enough for a farang - Thais should know better than to ask their fellow countrymen to be this organised!) No direct costs of this but a lot of time needed which upped the living and travel expenses.

Medical exam and drug test another 2k.

WP has 2 additional locations where I am authorised to work - another 2k in fees.

3 pages of stamps in my passport - the cost of renewing a UK passport is so astronomical that I value each page at 1,000 THB. So another 3k there.

That's already 40k and doesn't take into account the huge amount of time (working days lost), stress and hassle. And the process is still not over!

So please don't tell me the work permit is not difficult and not expensive! Sure a renewal is a lot easier but first time application is what we are really considering here isn't it?

Why did it cost you 40,000B? Did you pay someone to get it for you? Your company is suppose to pay the fees for it. Dont know why it cost you 40K my staff have been taking care of mine for years and the cost is 2700B. To get the WP you need to have you B visa which you need to show you paid your taxes.

For the last few days I have been putting together a breakdown of the real costs of getting a work permit, and I will post them on this forum as soon as the lengthy, complicated process is finished. But here's a sneak preview: yes the FEE for a work permit is 2,700 (actually 3,000 at the office where I am applying), but there's so many more costs associated, the biggest of which is one you already mentioned: the B visa. A return flight to Singapore, hotels, expenses etc, plus the visa fees is close to 20k already. (Singapore is the only one of the neighbouring embassies that will process the visa without a WP3 form - ie Laos is not an option)

Then there's the fact that I live in a different province from where the company is based, so have to travel a long way to go to the WP office (twice). Another 10k.

Plus the fact that the company I work for has never done this before, that meant a lot of messing around trying to arrange the absurdly thick stack of documents required (this is hard enough for a farang - Thais should know better than to ask their fellow countrymen to be this organised!) No direct costs of this but a lot of time needed which upped the living and travel expenses.

Medical exam and drug test another 2k.

WP has 2 additional locations where I am authorised to work - another 2k in fees.

3 pages of stamps in my passport - the cost of renewing a UK passport is so astronomical that I value each page at 1,000 THB. So another 3k there.

That's already 40k and doesn't take into account the huge amount of time (working days lost), stress and hassle. And the process is still not over!

So please don't tell me the work permit is not difficult and not expensive! Sure a renewal is a lot easier but first time application is what we are really considering here isn't it?

and when you have done this go and do a comparative cost of doing the same thing for someone going to work in the US or UK as a non citizen/PR

dont know what the direct costs are now, but when I worked in the US, early 2000's, the cost, exluding your incidentals passport/travel costs etc, came to nearly USD 7k and took nearly 3 months to sort out before I was allowed in the country legally to work.

having worked legally in 20 odd countries over the course of my career, I can assure you, Thailand is neither complicated or expensive on the work visa/work permit stakes, in fact its one of the easiest and cheapest, the cheapest and easiest funny enough was mainland China in the late 80's/early 90's simply because there wasnt a work permit/visa per se, but you did have to do a goverment medical, primarly becasue they were paranoid about HIV and we also had to do a political interview as well...laugh.png

so please dont tell me Thailand's WP system is difficult or expensive....its not, it one of the easier systems to work in

and when you have done this go and do a comparative cost of doing the same thing for someone going to work in the US or UK as a non citizen/PR

Yeah that would be fine if the topic was US and UK working permits.... but it's not.

I agree, but the poster is making a statement about something is expensive and complicated, but to make a statement like this, one needs to compare the complexity and cost with it with something comparable, agreed ?

a 3 series BMW is expensive in comparison with the cost of a Ford focus, but is cheap in comparision with the cost of an Aston Martin.

I agree, but the poster is making a statement about something is expensive and complicated, but to make a statement like this, one needs to compare the complexity and cost with it with something comparable, agreed ?

a 3 series BMW is expensive in comparison with the cost of a Ford focus, but is cheap in comparision with the cost of an Aston Martin.

I guess, it is all in the perception of the person who is doing the "run round" to obtain the permit...... as to how expensive/ time consuming it is. I take the point tho

I guess, it is all in the perception of the person who is doing the "run round" to obtain the permit...... as to how expensive/ time consuming it is. I take the point tho

and perception is the operative word, perceptions about something and what is real are rarely the same thing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In fact all governments, banks, corporations, courts etc were foreclosed last year. Legally you dont need to ask anyone for a visa. You are free to travel anywhere you want on this planet. The oppt foreclosed the UCC and therefore all laws under the UCC (where under everyone is being traded like a comodity). anyone tries to bother you just show them a courtesy notice. You are within your rights.

Well that's a whole new topic. The one in which humans can go anywhere without a passport. Madness? Meh. It will happen. It really will. Only those in suits with vested interests will continue to stop it. Your arguments against it are retarded. So don't bother. Top of the food chain eh? A worm can crawl between two nations and not get asked for its papers.

I consider myself a world citizen.

That will happen when police forces from every country have a shoot to kill policy for anyone they suspect has done anything wrong.

Don't think borders are only inconveniences put in place for tourists...................wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes , I have noticed that approximately 50% of resident expats leaving Phuket in the last few months as a consequence of this crack down , in my opinion the only looser is the Thai economy , which get considerable income from Visa runs ,not to mention all the money spent by falang in 7/11 , food outlets, hotels ,transport, bars, restruants, etc., etc.,By all means crack down on those working illegally and not possessing a valid visa , but maybe better to review work permits now and make the rules more flexible for both employer and employee and far less costly for all concerned.

If this is not addressed now ,there will be a huge shortage of expat workers , as they would have shifted to neighbouring countries where working is more friendly to expats.In 2015 when the borders open up is too late to address the problem.Good luck Thailand I hope you see the light ,this is a wonderfull country , I have been enjoying for 25 years legally on the correct visa .

Well Bobbyboy, if you have lived there for 25 years there is a fair chance that you do in fact know approximately 50% of resident expats there.

But how come that 50% of resident expats are there illegally in the first place? As far as I am aware, at least where I am working, any changes or tightening of the rules have zero effect on workers in possession of the correct paperwork.

50% of resident expats? I think you doth exaggerate a tad ............................wink.png

IMHO, the percentage of illegal workers vs tourists won't affect the local economy as much as you think.

Yes , I have noticed that approximately 50% of resident expats leaving Phuket in the last few months as a consequence of this crack down , in my opinion the only looser is the Thai economy , which get considerable income from Visa runs ,not to mention all the money spent by falang in 7/11 , food outlets, hotels ,transport, bars, restruants, etc., etc.,By all means crack down on those working illegally and not possessing a valid visa , but maybe better to review work permits now and make the rules more flexible for both employer and employee and far less costly for all concerned.

If this is not addressed now ,there will be a huge shortage of expat workers , as they would have shifted to neighbouring countries where working is more friendly to expats.In 2015 when the borders open up is too late to address the problem.Good luck Thailand I hope you see the light ,this is a wonderfull country , I have been enjoying for 25 years legally on the correct visa .

Well Bobbyboy, if you have lived there for 25 years there is a fair chance that you do in fact know approximately 50% of resident expats there.

But how come that 50% of resident expats are there illegally in the first place? As far as I am aware, at least where I am working, any changes or tightening of the rules have zero effect on workers in possession of the correct paperwork.

50% of resident expats? I think you doth exaggerate a tad ............................wink.png

IMHO, the percentage of illegal workers vs tourists won't affect the local economy as much as you think.

If thats the case, my learned friend ... is there any valid - Point To This Topic ???????

Edited by ScotBkk

tell that to the thai hospitals that end up treating indigent farangs

'Hospitals in Thailand will often not operate without insurance or cash upfront.' - http://www.bangkoktimesonline.com/will-planning/

Quite so. Any foreigner can be treated at any Thai hospital - as long as they can pay.

There's no 30 baht or free treatment for foreigners here, or didn't the OP know that?