You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Immigration Bureau told to be flexible with 'visa runners'

This is the first of many about faces to come. The Thai economy is now tanking and gaining downward momentum. Clearing bamboo huts off Phuket beaches does not an economy make.

I believe your interpretation of the situation is slightly flawed

The new PM knows that Thailand needs English teachers, what he has done is basically tell immigration to get the finger out and do a rethink and come up with a solution that will resolve the teaching issue, I don't see anything else changing

• Like 1

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Land of the FREE FREE FREE

Our COUNTRY does …. The UK, which is practically open to anyone wanting an easy system with benefits thrown in – free health system and much more free assistances for all and sundry.. hence the reason people leave in their droves ………… clap2.gif

thats not true

"So, this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides," he said during his weekly TV programme.

How about enforcing the schools to adhere to the law and providing work permits instead of keeping teachers semi-illegal.

You are exactly right, JesseFrank. I personally know of 2 schools who say they don't know how and if they did can't find the paperwork they would have to submit for a volunteer English teacher to go out-of-country at his/her own expense, purchase a B visa at his/her own expense, and purchase a work permit at his/her own expense. The epitome of Thainess . . .

Our COUNTRY does …. The UK, which is practically open to anyone wanting an easy system with benefits thrown in – free health system and much more free assistances for all and sundry.. hence the reason people leave in their droves ………… clap2.gif

thats not true

So everything you say .. IS ????

One thing positive you can say about our new PM (the General) is that he is willing to adjust his thinking based on facts rather than hold firm so not to loose face. I think there is hope for this country after all.

Another point is that decisions made by the new PM will be implemented quickly, without the need for discussion.

Edited by puanddavid

Oh really? Maybe you should read all those who post on here because they can't get visa entry clearance for their wives, girlfriends, children, relatives etc. before spouting off more nonsense. The rules on visas, ILR, Citizenship ain't easy at all.

Now, turn up as an illegal and claim asylum is a different matter,.

@ Baerboxer

Now ain't that the truth.

I think it would be quite simple for those to that want to stay long term to just do a police background check and/or get a qualified reference or sponsor locally to vouche for one's character, issue a "green card" and let people work where ever they can get a job and pay taxes. I don't understand why that would be so damn difficult. I just find it so offensive that if you're one of a certain race to can work here. Democracy starts with equality and all people should be recognized as people and not things such as "farang".

Really? So why you're not allow Thai to go to EU/US without hell of paperwork? Typical western double standards. Democracy is not kind of thing which will work only in one direction.

If I would have the power to change, well then Be It! i did not made the rules...and the political faults, stupid rules and some outdated laws of the country I have been born and lived in, and that is just one of the many reasons why I did not wanted to live there and contribute to and left many years ago, at a quite young age and ever since have lived and contributing to other countries... and continue doing so over the last 10 years in Thailand...

???? Really? So why you're not allow Thai to go to EU/US without hell of paperwork? Typical western double standards. Democracy is not kind of thing which will work only in one direction.

????

Really? So why you're not allow Thai to go to EU/US without hell of paperwork? Typical western double standards. Democracy is not kind of thing which will work only in one direction.

????

Before you spout off!!! Know your facts!!!! You think Thai go to Western Countries and need to do alot of Paperwork??? Maybe it because 80% of them disappear after Visa is expired and stay illegally it what ever Country they are in. This is a Fact! Want a List? Better yet just take my word for it! I do not want to be visited by some Fat, Drunk, Hitman elects Wanta-be's.

We have no trouble completing the stacks of paperwork and verifying "Loads of money" in the Bank (Seems like Thailand is assigning some one to try and Siphon if they can while we are here) Even to stay here, we have to do over and over again. If we are retired we need to do this every 90 days! Thai in Foreign Country subject to this??? No! Do they need to retain massive funds in a Bank Account to stay there?? No!

Working in one direction, Democracy?? I think your compass is faulty, or you holding 180 degrees wrong!! What normal Thai goes as example US/EU and has 800 thousand plus baht in Bank? and retains it? Are they even asked to show proof every year that it still available??? No (Because, contrary to what Thai Face shows, They would spend it! New Car, Lease, Rental, Spouse sponsered Bank Loan. Same with House, Business usually if they plan to stay illegaly in someone elses name...

Now don't missunderstand me... I love Thailand! All my Thai Friends love and protect me as I do them. If they need money or anything else and I can provide... They get without any need to repay! I think of it as a Gift! Those of you who have known me for years understand my reasoning here on this, I my whole life I could not repay....

So before you drag any Western Countries to the toilet to harass them... Get your words correct!!! You think Thai only one to have Face? "Boy... are you in Dark Ages!!!!"

Good thought! Danielle!!

""

gr8fldanielle, on 22 Aug 2014 - 22:18, said:snapback.png

I think it would be quite simple for those to that want to stay long term to just do a police background check and/or get a qualified reference or sponsor locally to vouche for one's character, issue a "green card" and let people work where ever they can get a job and pay taxes. I don't understand why that would be so damn difficult. I just find it so offensive that if you're one of a certain race to can work here. Democracy starts with equality and all people should be recognized as people and not things such as "farang".""

Edited by davidstipek
  • Like 1

I think it would be quite simple for those to that want to stay long term to just do a police background check and/or get a qualified reference or sponsor locally to vouche for one's character, issue a "green card" and let people work where ever they can get a job and pay taxes. I don't understand why that would be so damn difficult. I just find it so offensive that if you're one of a certain race to can work here. Democracy starts with equality and all people should be recognized as people and not things such as "farang".

If I would have the power to change, well then Be It! i did not made the rules...and the political faults, stupid rules and some outdated laws of the country I have been born and lived in, and that is just one of the many reasons why I did not wanted to live there and contribute to and left many years ago, at a quite young age and ever since have lived and contributing to other countries... and continue doing so over the last 10 years in Thailand...

???? Really? So why you're not allow Thai to go to EU/US without hell of paperwork? Typical western double standards. Democracy is not kind of thing which will work only in one direction.

????

????

Before you spout off!!! Know your facts!!!! You think Thai go to Western Countries and need to do alot of Paperwork??? Maybe it because 80% of them disappear after Visa is expired and stay illegally it what ever Country they are in. This is a Fact! Want a List? Better yet just take my word for it! I do not want to be visited by some Fat, Drunk, Hitman elects Wanta-be's.

We have no trouble completing the stacks of paperwork and verifying "Loads of money" in the Bank (Seems like Thailand is assigning some one to try and Siphon if they can while we are here) Even to stay here, we have to do over and over again. If we are retired we need to do this every 90 days! Thai in Foreign Country subject to this??? No! Do they need to retain massive funds in a Bank Account to stay there?? No!

Working in one direction, Democracy?? I think your compass is faulty, or you holding 180 degrees wrong!! What normal Thai goes as example US/EU and has 800 thousand plus baht in Bank? and retains it? Are they even asked to show proof every year that it still available??? No (Because, contrary to what Thai Face shows, They would spend it! New Car, Lease, Rental, Spouse sponsered Bank Loan. Same with House, Business usually if they plan to stay illegaly in someone elses name...

Now don't missunderstand me... I love Thailand! All my Thai Friends love and protect me as I do them. If they need money or anything else and I can provide... They get without any need to repay! I think of it as a Gift! Those of you who have known me for years understand my reasoning here on this, I my whole life I could not repay....

So before you drag any Western Countries to the toilet to harass them... Get your words correct!!! You think Thai only one to have Face? "Boy... are you in Dark Ages!!!!"

are you saying anyone can just decide they want to retire in america and show up and get a visa?

Since the original announcement of the crackdown, the evil genie is out of the Bia Singh bottle: the latent built-up resentment of foreigners by Immigration staff, from the regional heads, down to the IOs at the various entry points, has been released with permission from the top. Many of them couldn't even wait until the rules were official, and started refusing entry as soon as the press releases came out. Many reports of vicious behavior by IOs have been reported here and elsewhere.

No amount of mealy-mouthed waffling and vague pronouncements about 'registering' visa runners is going to solve the problem or re-bottle the genie. Only sacking a large percentage of the Immigration workforce, who were accustomed to being able to extort a purple or two from anyone they perceived as in a weak position, and who, as that practice has slowly been curtailed, have been quietly seething, will begin to address the problem. Secondly, the wide latitude in 'interpreting' the rules must be eliminated. Rules must be clear, training must be instituted, and a practical appeals process must be provided. And above all, new rules, reflecting the actual goals of the government of Thailand, must be thoughtfully written and rewritten until they make sense. Some examples would be eliminating 90 day reports, and substituting a secure data card with the visitor's (or expat's) visa status on it, the ability to apply for a change in status without the silly resort to a visa run to another country, etc.

Then, to stop illegal employment, the Labor Ministry must be responsible for policing schools and other employers, and impose fines and prosecute the owners of those businesses who allow, and even deceive foreigners into working without a work permit.

And on and on.

Doubtful in this lifetime.

There are different issues here.

Visas, and extensions of stay. People need to get the correct one for the reason they are here. 30 day visa exemptions are not intended for those that wish to stay here long term. Tourist visas are for tourists that's why they are called that, for those that think otherwise.

Teachers. Teaching is a profession and requires dedicated qualified professionals, Thai or foreign. The qualifications for teaching should be appropriate for the subject and level being taught and also relevant teaching experience and qualifications should be taken into account. Look at countries like Finland, South Korea and Italy (formative years) if you want some best practice ideas. Probationary supervised periods on initial appointment and regular classroom assessments are used to great success in Finland. Teachers are highly respected and remunerated accordingly. Not all teachers in the UK have degrees (although that may change) but that does not mean those with are necessarily good or better at teaching than those without, IME.

Schools. Thai, government and private, and international schools are all very well aware of the visa and work permit requirements foreign teachers require and the licensing requirements of the MoE. The fact that many don't bother with some or all of these requirements for their own agendas is an issue that should be addressed. If they break the law, or cajole an individual to break the law, they should be punished. They must be held responsible for their actions in illegally employing someone and advising someone to break the law. Tackle the schools, make them follow and adhere to the law and then there won't be a problem with individuals.

Of course, the rules and processes for all visas, extensions of stay, WP.s, 90 day reporting etc could be better, But which countries couldn't?

Edited by Baerboxer

1. a restaurant worker cheesy.gif

How many farang have you seen working in restaurants apart from owning or co owning them? How many farang work in 7/11? Literally all jobs apart from a very few and also companies who have outsourced here are closed to foreigners. It's kind of racist when you think about it, not many countries do this but it is their country and they make the rules

It's not racist in the least.

Thailand, like most countries, have protections for their own workforce.

Many countries do this.

It's difficult for many Canadians to get US green cards for that reason.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, Thailand has much on its plate ATM, make no mistake, the General knows how to chew gum and walk at the same time. He has the ability to make things happen, unlike some of those wobbly gum fools that were running around just a few months ago.

having seen a number of thai military governments, I'm not convinced they will run things well.

They have made a pretty damn good job of it so far.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, Thailand has much on its plate ATM, make no mistake, the General knows how to chew gum and walk at the same time. He has the ability to make things happen, unlike some of those wobbly gum fools that were running around just a few months ago.

having seen a number of thai military governments, I'm not convinced they will run things well.

They have made a pretty damn good job of it so far.

you call all these contradictions about visas a damn good job??

AYJAYDEE, on 23 Aug 2014 - 01:54, said:
jspill, on 23 Aug 2014 - 01:23, said:
AYJAYDEE, on 23 Aug 2014 - 01:21, said:

feel free to document how many are left to die on the hospital steps

Feel free to document how many farang are a burden to the thai state in public hospitals.

i love it when folks make it so easy for me!! lol

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-planning/travel-news/aussies-a-drain-on-phuket-hospitals-20130815-2rz0a.html

That story mentions ONE (1) person, not really enough for you to be correct, in fact the numbers, for ALL of Thailand, are low, so please, show us more realistic numbers, or are you once again trolling.

AYJAYDEE, on 23 Aug 2014 - 01:54, said:
jspill, on 23 Aug 2014 - 01:23, said:
AYJAYDEE, on 23 Aug 2014 - 01:21, said:

feel free to document how many are left to die on the hospital steps

Feel free to document how many farang are a burden to the thai state in public hospitals.

i love it when folks make it so easy for me!! lol

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-planning/travel-news/aussies-a-drain-on-phuket-hospitals-20130815-2rz0a.html

That story mentions ONE (1) person, not really enough for you to be correct, in fact the numbers, for ALL of Thailand, are low, so please, show us more realistic numbers, or are you once again trolling.

feel free to show us theyre low

Upon taking over, the junta decided to tighten the rules, deciding not to re-issue visas and threatening those who overstay their visa with deportation. However, Prayuth admitted that this crackdown had considerably affected certain groups.

"This is a problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and tour guides," he said

It looks to me the right hand doesn't talk to the left hand. The same problem was when Prayuth took over with his coup to scare the Cambodians and they left in the hundreds of thousands only to be asked to come back a few weeks later. Sorry but at times I feel the JUNTA doesn't really know how to make official announcements.

It is illegal for foreigners to be tour guides and teachers without a work permit is also illegal.

It looks like everything is the same except that the immigration are focusing on South American's, Russians and some South Koreans.

Thaivisa.com too is following to the confusions by posting announcements that seem to be recalled a couple of days/weeks later just for the sake of a couple of bugs more from Adsense.

Edited by MobileContent

No, I did not jumped on conclusions, it just is not that difficult to read in between your written lines....

My 'home country', the place where I was born and forced to live until turning 18 years of age being able to leave that country permanently and what exactly I did, has, whatever I think about this, my former country, always welcome people that would take care on them self financially and/or contributing with skills, money what so ever, as long as they accept and follow the law and rules. I have been living in various countries before I have chosen Thailand to be my home 10 years ago... the first 8 years running a real existing business with registered company, employing 5 to 8 Thai nationals constantly ..l I've paid more than the minimum wages, paid for health and social insurance, I paid tax of course and I had a WP to work myself. 2 years ago I sold the business and was in need of another visa since Non Immigrant B, was not my status anymore, I immediately returned the WP also. Not wanting to cheat the government, I decided NOT to go for any visa just for the papers, instead of misusing as ED, or marriage visa (would have been easy to marry a Thai just for a the papers to get that visa) I took the other, only available option which is the Tourist visa. Well it worked well, it was even approached and fully legal to travel out of the country all 90 days to return a few days later with a legally applied, paid for new Tourist Visa...To make a long story short, I am one of the GOOD ones that are f**ked by the system, and I have always contributed to Thai economy, community and society and I still continue doing so from day one, my business had been closed to today! But my time here soon will have an end, because I am not 50, not married to Thai and because I still refuse any illegal methods.etcmy home country has no seen me for ages, in fact my real home is here in Thailand, in my rented home, with my friends, neighbors, social life, my animals that have been born here, all belongings and assets that are a typical part of someone that has built a home, a life...not to mention the community 'work', that always has been a pleasure to provide, WITHOUT asking anything in return... I have chosen Thailand to be my home over 10 years ago and sorry for not being humble here anymore, I have only given I have never asked for anything and I have never, ever been a burden to my hosts! But I have to leave my home soon...

Nice story, However think you've came to the wrong place looking for sympathy on some of these - TV topics. These trumped up diciplinarains main aim is to confuse you, then rip you to shreds, eapecially once you don't accept their personal Thainess experiences which to them is 'written in concrete' as far as they're concerned.

I wish you well in your crusade to sty in Thailand now and in the future.......................

Yeah, what else to expect...

what a load of crap!!! Thank you very much for such a useful comment!

I am not at all whining, or looking for sympathy or support inhere and .... believe it or not, I am not on a crusade to stay, if it is time to leave, so be it.... I have not done anything different before I've arrived here in 2004. Yes, I love this country and its people, otherwise I would surely not be living here for 10 years.. .. yes, it is sad, but I am prepared to go ahead and I will certainly moving on. All I wanted to say is, that there are different stories behind those that are affected by what the entire topic is about: visa crack down, visa runners and the announcement that the new PM has made on TV... Oh, btw...has Thailand chosen you to to come and live in here? If so, and if you are not Thai, what is your reason /permission to stay, other than being retired or married to a Thai (should that be the case)?? As a last, let me answer your most recent question with another: What has your post about tourists milking the Thai Health system to do with the original post about a release on visa runs....However... I am out of here! Have fun mate!

• Like 2

Since the original announcement of the crackdown, the evil genie is out of the Bia Singh bottle: the latent built-up resentment of foreigners by Immigration staff, from the regional heads, down to the IOs at the various entry points, has been released with permission from the top. Many of them couldn't even wait until the rules were official, and started refusing entry as soon as the press releases came out. Many reports of vicious behavior by IOs have been reported here and elsewhere.

No amount of mealy-mouthed waffling and vague pronouncements about 'registering' visa runners is going to solve the problem or re-bottle the genie. Only sacking a large percentage of the Immigration workforce, who were accustomed to being able to extort a purple or two from anyone they perceived as in a weak position, and who, as that practice has slowly been curtailed, have been quietly seething, will begin to address the problem. Secondly, the wide latitude in 'interpreting' the rules must be eliminated. Rules must be clear, training must be instituted, and a practical appeals process must be provided. And above all, new rules, reflecting the actual goals of the government of Thailand, must be thoughtfully written and rewritten until they make sense. Some examples would be eliminating 90 day reports, and substituting a secure data card with the visitor's (or expat's) visa status on it, the ability to apply for a change in status without the silly resort to a visa run to another country, etc.

Then, to stop illegal employment, the Labor Ministry must be responsible for policing schools and other employers, and impose fines and prosecute the owners of those businesses who allow, and even deceive foreigners into working without a work permit.

And on and on.

Doubtful in this lifetime.

Good Post.

I’ve personally reached a stage where I no longer believe much of the so-called spontaneous, intuitive advice given by others, especially in this virtual den of diversity. Things are given serious heavy debate, then the hardliners clowns (even TV punters) feel/think they’ve contributed so much to the topic. Next thing, there is another announcement and back to square one. Nobody on here can seriously think whatever their view will change a single iota in the Thai system – do they? We are FARANGS no matter how we try to express ourselves our voices are NEVER HEARD !!!!

That’s all it is worthless - debate debate debate !!!!

Edited by ScotBkk
  • Like 1

No, I did not jumped on conclusions, it just is not that difficult to read in between your written lines....

My 'home country', the place where I was born and forced to live until turning 18 years of age being able to leave that country permanently and what exactly I did, has, whatever I think about this, my former country, always welcome people that would take care on them self financially and/or contributing with skills, money what so ever, as long as they accept and follow the law and rules. I have been living in various countries before I have chosen Thailand to be my home 10 years ago... the first 8 years running a real existing business with registered company, employing 5 to 8 Thai nationals constantly ..l I've paid more than the minimum wages, paid for health and social insurance, I paid tax of course and I had a WP to work myself. 2 years ago I sold the business and was in need of another visa since Non Immigrant B, was not my status anymore, I immediately returned the WP also. Not wanting to cheat the government, I decided NOT to go for any visa just for the papers, instead of misusing as ED, or marriage visa (would have been easy to marry a Thai just for a the papers to get that visa) I took the other, only available option which is the Tourist visa. Well it worked well, it was even approached and fully legal to travel out of the country all 90 days to return a few days later with a legally applied, paid for new Tourist Visa...To make a long story short, I am one of the GOOD ones that are f**ked by the system, and I have always contributed to Thai economy, community and society and I still continue doing so from day one, my business had been closed to today! But my time here soon will have an end, because I am not 50, not married to Thai and because I still refuse any illegal methods.etcmy home country has no seen me for ages, in fact my real home is here in Thailand, in my rented home, with my friends, neighbors, social life, my animals that have been born here, all belongings and assets that are a typical part of someone that has built a home, a life...not to mention the community 'work', that always has been a pleasure to provide, WITHOUT asking anything in return... I have chosen Thailand to be my home over 10 years ago and sorry for not being humble here anymore, I have only given I have never asked for anything and I have never, ever been a burden to my hosts! But I have to leave my home soon...

Nice story, However think you've came to the wrong place looking for sympathy on some of these - TV topics. These trumped up diciplinarains main aim is to confuse you, then rip you to shreds, eapecially once you don't accept their personal Thainess experiences which to them is 'written in concrete' as far as they're concerned.

I wish you well in your crusade to sty in Thailand now and in the future.......................

Yeah, what else to expect...

what a load of crap!!! Thank you very much for such a useful comment!

I am not at all whining, or looking for sympathy or support inhere and .... believe it or not, I am not on a crusade to stay, if it is time to leave, so be it.... I have not done anything different before I've arrived here in 2004. Yes, I love this country and its people, otherwise I would surely not be living here for 10 years.. .. yes, it is sad, but I am prepared to go ahead and I will certainly moving on. All I wanted to say is, that there are different stories behind those that are affected by what the entire topic is about: visa crack down, visa runners and the announcement that the new PM has made on TV... Oh, btw...has Thailand chosen you to to come and live in here? If so, and if you are not Thai, what is your reason /permission to stay, other than being retired or married to a Thai (should that be the case)?? As a last, let me answer your most recent question with another: What has your post about tourists milking the Thai Health system to do with the original post about a release on visa runs....However... I am out of here! Have fun mate!

Please believe me, I am on your side and maybe never came across so well as I should have. So accept my apology. I neither am retired nor do I have a Thai wife and I'm not of the usual run of the mill ilk that gets battered on here relentlessly for being in that catagory.

I like to comment where I think these people are being so unfair to others from time to time.......

Sorry again and have a nice day .........

I miss really a clear course of action.

Everyone interprets the laws here, as it just fits into their own populist agenda.

Unfortunately, there are so many antiquated business, visa and labor laws.

All ministries cook their own soup.

But a coherent overall concept is not present.

If every farang were to leave this country due to harassment by the government, this country would fall flat on it,s a**e ! It,s about time the thai authorities realized and appreciated the input and advantage gained by allowing educated and capable europeans to assist thais in their ability to speak reasonable english, and make it easier for them to do so. Without the presence of the lowly farang the bar entertainment business here would crash, and all sensible tourists would leave and find alternative holiday venues. I have seen english schools here where the head teacher was totally incapable of speaking english that any englishman could understand ! Lighten up and stop trying to s***w us all over. You want our money, then you threaten to confiscate any properties that we have bought for our thai wives, and then you expect us to come back for more of this reprehensible treatment !! What planet are you on ?

"...educated and capable europeans to assist thais in their ability to speak reasonable english."

​Many of the Europeans I met teaching English could hardly make themselves understood to other English speakers. Their enunciation sounded a lot

like a frog farting in a barrel, many had a speech impediment that prevented them from pronouncing final "R" (rhotic R). I always felt sorry for the Thai

students who were faced with the daunting challenge of learning to speak intelligible English from these "educated and capable" European teachers.

I know there is a lot of passion on this subject but really look at the big picture.

VERY easy to stay if you are married or have a kid. If not there are other cheap places with hot girls to live. I am back in the US and had planned to return to Thailand but now not sure.

Edited by BKKSnowBird

I believe part of the confusion has been this...(and I don't mean this is a 'flame' post, either): I've tried to keep up with the Junta's speeches. And, I do believe he seems to be a thoughtful individual, who is trying to do good. I do believe that.

However, his style is very different from from I've seen before: He doesn't read from scripted speeches. He just sort 'thinks out loud' for a while...he literally just mentions whatever problems he's noticed that week, and asks questions.

Like (paraphrasing the style here): "We need to address this issue...maybe, one solution might be like this, or maybe like that...we should work on this." And, I think that's a nice quality in a leader, actually.

However, this culture (and here on the forum, as well) have a way of taking each thought as a 'pronouncement', and then there's all this panic and confusion, and people down the chain of officialdom in Thialand are trying to show how willing they are to enforce each new 'rule' in the extremes....and then chaos ensues, because of that.

Did he really say this or was he quoted out of context and mistranslated? Are visa runners, illegal foreign teachers and tour guides now suddenly OK? I doubt it. He is probably going to try to make it easier for those that meet criteria to get work permits.

Otherwise he might as well also say he has realised the country is facing a shortage of corrupt politicians and lese majeste enthusiasts and declare an amnesty for them to come home.

• Like 1