4 year old in Coma after self-strangulation incident at South Pattaya Nursery

Rimmer

4 year old in Coma after self-strangulation incident at South Pattaya Nursery

boy-7.jpg
PATTAYA:--A 4 year old child is currently fighting for his life in Hospital after he reportedly suffocated while waiting for his parents to pick him up from Nursery School on Friday Afternoon.

The disturbing incident occurred at the Chaimongkol Temple Nursery School off the South Pattaya Road and resulted in the boy, Khun Rapipat, being rushed to Hospital. Pattaya Police were made aware of the incident and an investigation into why the child was left unsupervised is also underway at the Nursery School.

The boy was waiting for his parents to pick him up and was carrying a Picnic Mattress which folds into the shape of a bag with straps. The boy placed the bag around his neck and began to twist the straps until he was seen to fall to the ground.

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/141120/4-year-old-in-coma-after-self-strangulation-incident-at-south-pattaya-nursery/#sthash.jjczwHWF.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-08-23

I really hope that this little lad recovers with no lasting effects from oxygen dificiency to his brain from this horrible incident.

The big question, is why the lad ( and probably others ) were left alone unattended to wait for his / their parents.

This incident has to rank up there along side the morons that have left several young children to die from suffocation in school mini-vans.

Teachers and minders, and School Directors, be ashamed of your dereliction of duty in protecting these young and innocent children, - be very, very ashamed.

• Like 2

I really hope that this little lad recovers with no lasting effects from oxygen dificiency to his brain from this horrible incident.

The big question, is why the lad ( and probably others ) were left alone unattended to wait for his / their parents.

This incident has to rank up there along side the morons that have left several young children to die from suffocation in school mini-vans.

Teachers and minders, and School Directors, be ashamed of your dereliction of duty in protecting these young and innocent children, - be very, very ashamed.

Do you know how many kids there are in each class? Usually there's 2 teachers per Kindergarten class and at least 20 kids, and you simply can't have an eye on every single one of them at all times, especially when it's time to go home. That's just the way it is. Things like this unfortunately do happen. Sad but true!

Why show how it is done?

What is the point of the photo of this guy?

Sad incident.

Actually a good idea to show the bag and how people are carrying them, my 5 year old has one of these sleepers and they all put them around their neck.

All the schools should make a picture and ban this method, warning all the children. There is likely other freak ways they could hang themselves with the straps.

• Like 2

I've seem many many kindergartens and nurseries. The first thing I spot is the adult to child ratio, if it's not satisfactory... then hell no for my child.

There are no regulatory standards and inspections in this country, therefore it's all up to the parents to use the thing between their ears to determine the welfare of their own children.

Want safer environments for children?..... first... regulate the automotive window tinting. No reason for vans to be so heavily tinted. Malaysia has a law and enforces it to the letter, if they can do it, surely Thailand can do it too.

Don't understand why?.... ask and i'll be more than happy to explain.

Do you know how many kids there are in each class? Usually there's 2 teachers per Kindergarten class and at least 20 kids, and you simply can't have an eye on every single one of them at all times, especially when it's time to go home. That's just the way it is. Things like this unfortunately do happen. Sad but true!
As an educator I can tell you thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard

You have no idea what you are talking about

With proper policies and procedures in place ONE teacher could properly supervise 20 4 year olds on site at school for pick up

They obviously just let the kids run out for pick up

Again; policies and procedures

Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 2

maybe but I am sure any responsible adult would not leave a 4 year old on his own waiting for their parents, my childrens school teacher makes them sit down in the class until the parents come and collect them, so this could have been avoided, it is all about educating the educaters

Why show how it is done?

Sad incident.

Actually a good idea to show the bag and how people are carrying them, my 5 year old has one of these sleepers and they all put them around their neck.

All the schools should make a picture and ban this method, warning all the children. There is likely other freak ways they could hang themselves with the straps

Good Idea Sailblue

Better still, get the parents to cut the straps off, shorten them and sow them back on as handles, only large enough for their little hands to fit through, not their necks.

With kids of that age, you have to have eyes in the back of your head (I know, as mine is 4 and does some really dumb things) as they have no concept of danger, nor the effects of their actions.

I hope the kid survives.

petedk are you a parent? if you are, I would have thought that seeing the pic, would give you a heads up on the dangers of this product.wink.png

• Like 1

Why show how it is done?

Sad incident.

All the schools should make a picture and ban this method, warning all the children. There is likely other freak ways they could hang themselves with the straps

Good Idea Sailblue

Better still, get the parents to cut the straps off, shorten them and sow them back on as handles, only large enough for their little hands to fit through, not their necks.

With kids of that age, you have to have eyes in the back of your head (I know, as mine is 4 and does some really dumb things) as they have no concept of danger, nor the effects of their actions.

I hope the kid survives.

petedk are you a parent? if you are, I would have thought that seeing the pic, would give you a heads up on the dangers of this product.wink.png

Yes, I am a parent and grandparent!

I agree that if the show the picture and write that is wrong then it is a good idea.

On the other hand if they just show the picture as is done here then kids will copy. It doesn't take much to wind the strap too tight and the kid may panic and not be able to loosen it again.

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, so I will... Does anyone think it odd/unlikely that a small child will tighten a strap around his neck over & over again until airflow is cut off? Seems like it would become both uncomfortable and difficult before it becomes actually dangerous, and the kid would stop. I hope they continue the investigation to make sure no one else -- whether child or adult -- was involved.

Why show how it is done?

Sad incident.

Good Idea Sailblue

I hope the kid survives.

Yes, I am a parent and grandparent!

I agree that if the show the picture and write that is wrong then it is a good idea.

On the other hand if they just show the picture as is done here then kids will copy. It doesn't take much to wind the strap too tight and the kid may panic and not be able to loosen it again.

petedk. I agree with you entirely, thumbsup.gif very bad reporting by the paper. However, most 4 year olds don't read that well and most Thai parents, not all, believe their sons can do no wrong and let them run riot, with never a word of warning that what they are is doing wrong, or just down right dangerous!

Safety on issues such as this, should be taught to very young children, both by the parents and schools, unfortunately, in Thailand, many teachers and parents are hopless at it. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

We only have to look at the death toll on the roads in Thailand to see that Thais don't seem to give a rats ass about their or other peoples safety.

Our sons book bag, issued by his school, has a safety device on the cord, so that when put under pressure, breaks. But we are in UK, not Thailand.

I'm hoping to be a grandparent one day, that is why our son will never go to a Thai school and recieve a crap education.

smile.png