The new SR 400 - availability and prices

WonnabeBiker

A friend was offered a black one for 45,000 B more than list price. And it has been months since the local dealer promised delivery "next month".

What's the real price? What about availability? Anyone got a SR yet?

I've had 6 SR over the years, bought 3 of those new. 2 were "30 years' / 400 made" Limited Edition bikes with a drum brake up front.

post-108440-0-13421300-1408844111_thumb.

Ouch!

Yes, quite!

If I was into new retro, I"d consider one of the new RE Continental GT"s (for a little bit more cash)

or a enfield bullet for 233 k thb. and it comes with more grunt and looks imo. definitely more history than a yamaha sr400.

Enfield are just opening a branch in Bangkok, many pics on farcebook.

They do have more HP, but I am not sure they are fast than an SR400, anyone ridden both, a new SR and Enfield?

I like the idea that the frame of GT has been designed by Harris engineering,UK but I've no idea what's fastest. It is the lightest and fastest RE ever but People who like retro cafe racer style bikes are more interested in how they LOOK when getting there and NOT how quickly, I'd suggest.
  • Like 1

That was fun!

Just watched with captions turned on and google translate, that was weird, so the ROI Lenfield Coffee Maker is his preferred bike of the two, I think that translate from Google into the Royal Enfield being the preferred bike.

Wow... 45,000Bt. over list price. It was already marked up 20,000Bt. to 285,000Bt.

Gives me a bad feeling towards Yamaha and kinda sours me, even on the white one at 265,000Bt.

Do I want to deal with these people?

I saw the black SR400 Anniversary bike. Not so impressed. Especially at 330,000Bt. (think I'll wait on a Ducati Scrambler)

What's so special? A little bit of black paint and a sticker?

The paint job is all over the place too. Satin black rims, flat black side covers, flat black forks and a gloss black tank.

Edited by khunjamesjohnson

They do have more HP, but I am not sure they are fast than an SR400, anyone ridden both, a new SR and Enfield?

I rode several SRs, but all were made in the 1970s and 1980s and 1990s. The last of the European SR 500s had a weak engine (24 hp? I forgot). Night and day vs the 1978 SR which had grunt.

Even with EFI, forget it if you want a performance bike.

The SR is a beauty and will be good for bimbling along 3rd rate country roads. Would love one - but for less than 200,000 Baht, please.

• Like 2

i rode an older model sr400 - but they are same for years - and enfield bullet 500 before.

I can say bullet 500 has more grunt than sr400. cannot comment about top speed etc of course but when i check the specs i think enfield gt continental might be faster than sr400 but maybe not the bullet still close to each other.

now Enfield bikes are not the same. They updated their engine with unit construction, twin spark plug for better combustion and EFI so they are more reliable now.

Is it financially worth buying a well-maintained 'grey' SR and going through the rigmarole of the emission tests etc; to make it legal rather than shelling out 200k plus for a new one?

In a nutshell

No, the days of 2nd hand imports seem to be long gone.

Is it financially worth buying a well-maintained 'grey' SR and going through the rigmarole of the emission tests etc; to make it legal rather than shelling out 200k plus for a new one?

In a nutshell

No, the days of 2nd hand imports seem to be long gone.

That's what I thought but getting hold of an SR with its import taxes paid and then going through the process to register it properly / emissions tested etc; to get a legal Green Book has got to be more financially viable than shelling out for a new one, surely?

265,000 baht!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you give it a second glance? Pretty bike bike but never worth that much surely.....

I have a feeling these sr's will hold their value better than lets say a kawa 650

No as the customer base at 265k is very limited. They are not selling very well and id be surprised if the price doesnt come down or they stop selling them here.

265,000 baht!!!!!!!!!!! Why would you give it a second glance? Pretty bike bike but never worth that much surely.....

I have a feeling these sr's will hold their value better than lets say a kawa 650

No as the customer base at 265k is very limited. They are not selling very well and id be surprised if the price doesnt come down or they stop selling them here.

About a month ago, a Yamaha dealer told me they had 10 pre-sold.

On Saturday another dealer told me Pattaya was allocated 5 and only sold one so far.

just look at the prices of grey import sr400's with a genuine green book, around 120-160k. (and even higher sometimes)

If you compare to a kawasaki er-6n which can be bought for 150 these days, I expect the new sr 400 to hold its value better since they will always be higher in price then grey imports.

Edited by pokerkid

The standard one is listed at 265k, the black limited edition at 285k.

I have an SR500 cafe in Italy and a 400 tracker (with green book) here,..love them both. If I had money and garage space to spare, I would get a new one, even the limited edition, and keep it completely original. It's a collectors bike and imo it would be a sacrilege to put hands on it.

• Like 1

The standard one is listed at 265k, the black limited edition at 285k.

I have an SR500 cafe in Italy and a 400 tracker (with green book) here,..love them both. If I had money and garage space to spare, I would get a new one, even the limited edition, and keep it completely original. It's a collectors bike and imo it would be a sacrilege to put hands on it.

seems a lot of money for a 400cc single (with no electric start ?).

Sure, they're not cheap.

Fitting an electric starter would go against the "SR philosophy" of keeping the bike as it was designed 35 years ago. The FI was a necessary step imposed by strict environmental laws, otherwise it would still have a carb.