Being Sued By Ex

TonyFinnsFinlay

Ok heres a good one got married Last February, all legal at Bangkok Amphur office.

Since being married I found out my wife had hiddent debts, first debt solved as sold her car that was still being paid off and she came out with 5k in change.

Now in the past year no matter how hard I have tried to get her on her feet by giving her money to get sorted ie start a little business etc she is once again third time in a year, back in debt for 100k and of course wants Mr ATM (moi) must bail her out. Well wrong this time as had enough, Now she is saying she will sue me. I am want to know how can she do that and for what?

There is no financial committments between us no house, no car motorbike nothing and no children apart her son whom I have not adopted and has no mention in any paper and have never met.

She wants a divorce too but must pay her debt, I ask myself why I must pay this sort of money when its done nothing but cost me since we got married.

Any advice? can she sue me and if so for what?

When I enter Thailand again can I be arrested at the airport with a warrant out for my arrest over her trying to sue me?

thanks to all

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean this in a nice way mate, but to me it sounds like she's been watching too many movies.

I appreciate it's a difficult time for you. No doubt you'll get solid advice from lads,on here though.

Hope you get this resolved quickly and move on with as little hassles as possible

TheMarriage between us has been all about money and how much she can get out of me, I am only relieved I am getting out of it before all my money was gone. I love Thailand and my only worry is I will have problems on entering Thailand, obviously by the sounds of things there is nothing she can sue me for as there are no assets would I be right in saying that.?

When you divorce any assets and debt that were acquired during the marriage will be split 50/50.

Are the debts legitimate ones or ones that came through a loan shark ?

Her debts are from gambling, being lazy not working and all from loan sharks

Lets hope she has not told them you are the guarantor for the loans.

Edited by Spoonman

When you divorce any assets and debt that were acquired during the marriage will be split 50/50.

Lets hope she has told them you are the guarantor for the loans.

Why would you want that?

My bad. I missed the "Not"... post has been edited.

Last I heard she was blacklisted from the sharks but even if my name was use as guarantor I am sure they are not holding there breath for me to pay up??

Lets hope she has told them you are the guarantor for the loans.

Why would you want that?

My bad. I missed the "Not"... post has been edited.

I edited my reply mate

Last I heard she was blacklisted from the sharks but even if my name was use as guarantor I am sure they are not holding there breath for me to pay up??

They will want their money back and not care who it comes from.

I agree mate. Might be an idea for the guy to make plans to relocate and not let her or any of her friends know where to

TheMarriage between us has been all about money and how much she can get out of me, I am only relieved I am getting out of it before all my money was gone. I love Thailand and my only worry is I will have problems on entering Thailand, obviously by the sounds of things there is nothing she can sue me for as there are no assets would I be right in saying that.?

Us blokes are easy marks for such women. We should have training courses in "How Not to Become a Walking ATM" as soon as we reach puberty.

I think in Thai law you will be partly responsible for any debts during marriage - but these are debts such as car and house loans, not gambling debts to loan sharks. Try to find a good local lawyer, and use him/her to help negotiate a way out of marriage. That is, wife signs divorce papers, you give her some money to send her on her way. Not too much money. Just a parting gift. If she gets too greedy then play hardball and tell her you will reduce what you originally offered each month that goes by without her signature. This tactic does depend on her desperation for cash, but it sounds like she is a bit desperate. And I'm sure that I'm being overly cautious - but make sure she knows that everything you own is already left in a will to relatives / friends.

As to entry to Thailand, I don't know your personal situation, but if you are over 50 and have a few dollars in the bank you can play with - or an income stream of over 65,000 thb per month - you can get a retirement visa. There are a number of threads on here that give information and advice about retirement visas. They (RV) are better than a marriage visa, as they mainly have the same provisions, but are not dependent on having a wife! Good luck. And be careful once you are back in the relationship game.

If OP was not present at any of the money borrowing meetings, he has nothing to worry about coming from the loan sharks.

They ain't stupid to accept someone's word as someone else is a guarantor without getting guarantors approval .

As said above why take any risks - you seem to be a target so perhaps avoid Thailand? I know others who had such issues that made Philippines there new home but that is up to you as they say. But in Thailand you could be a target of her at some point if pressure is put on her to get the money it could get nasty for everyone - suspect best for all without you in the picture.

As said above why take any risks - you seem to be a target so perhaps avoid Thailand? I know others who had such issues that made Philippines there new home but that is up to you as they say. But in Thailand you could be a target of her at some point if pressure is put on her to get the money it could get nasty for everyone - suspect best for all without you in the picture.

Do not need to change the country, change phone number and the city, problem is solved

I agree mate. Might be an idea for the guy to make plans to relocate and not let her or any of her friends know where to

As I dont know any of her friends and never been to issan where she lives I think her loan sharks will keep onto her if in fact she does owe money, she is so deceitful its possilbly just a figure her and her boyfriend have come up with as the 100.000 baht was the amount she wanted for a divorce not necessarily what she owed, although she says its to pay off her debt

I will just visit as Thailand and keep away from her, not even mention I am coming to Thailand or in Thailand. Its just as well I have not settled in Thailand, I will keep going to the popular areas in the south!!

The bottom line is can she sue me for these debts from a loan shark, its not an official loan with my signature on it and make any sort of a problem for me legally or at immigration?

OP ... do you plan on marrying again? If not..... forget it.... walk

Dump her from your phone and other comms things you may use.... ie: viber, skype tango etc

If you do want to get married again.... divorce is pretty simple.... we are talking 100K here.... it's not a huge price to pay.. maybe it is better to pay and be done with her... who knows? I guess this is a question only you can answer

as for Immigration, I don't know the answer to that... others will.

Edited by winnerinsix

As I dont know any of her friends and never been to issan where she lives I think her loan sharks will keep onto her if in fact she does owe money, she is so deceitful its possilbly just a figure her and her boyfriend have come up with as the 100.000 baht was the amount she wanted for a divorce not necessarily what she owed, although she says its to pay off her debt

I will just visit as Thailand and keep away from her, not even mention I am coming to Thailand or in Thailand. Its just as well I have not settled in Thailand, I will keep going to the popular areas in the south!!

The bottom line is can she sue me for these debts from a loan shark, its not an official loan with my signature on it and make any sort of a problem for me legally or at immigration?

You will have zero problems coming Into the country.

Legally I think you are ok.

I would be more concerned those debts though as you don't want them knocking on your door at 5am and smashing your knee caps.

If you do want to get married again.... divorce is pretty simple.... we are talking 100K here.... it's not a huge price to pay.. maybe it is better to pay and be done with her... who knows? I guess this is a question only you can answer

The 100k is what she wants for a divorce, and yes I do want to marry again but not in Thailand. The only worry is immigration, Yes I will walk away have no contact with her but I want to know if she can legally make waves at immigration. Remember no house no kids no finances tied up anywhere that she would be demaning 50/50 on.

The 100k is what she wants for a divorce, and yes I do want to marry again but not in Thailand. The only worry is immigration, Yes I will walk away have no contact with her but I want to know if she can legally make waves at immigration. Remember no house no kids no finances tied up anywhere that she would be demaning 50/50 on.

Tony, Personally, I think she is "trying it on"... and if there is nothing with your name on it about debts, I think it would be doubtful that you are responsible. If on the other hand there was a CC or bank loan involved, you would be in for about 50%.

I think you have little to worry about, in a legal sense.... but as others have said, might be worth touching base with a half decent lawyer...

I wish you well

You married the wrong woman... stop whining about your situation (which solves nothing)...

Sit her down and say you will give her 100,000 baht the day the divorce decree is signed and choke the 100K up to experience...

If you are still sleeping with her... As Judge Judy says... "Get out of my courtroom!..."

She can't do squat except make idle threats. Imagine if in your country you could just meander down to your local immigration and say," so and so owes me money so arrest him at the airport when he comes in".

You married the wrong woman... stop whining about your situation (which solves nothing)...

Sit her down and say you will give her 100,000 baht the day the divorce decree is signed and choke the 100K up to experience...

If you are still sleeping with her... As Judge Judy says... "Get out of my courtroom!..."

The guy is asking for advice. He's not moaning.

The loan sharks usually have collateral and it isn't the rich farang husband. It's a wicked business loaning money to these women for gambling and most often involves land and houses. Don't ask me how, but it can even be land they don't own. Example: Mothers land.....Cars sometimes but doubt often.

She can't do squat except make idle threats. Imagine if in your country you could just meander down to your local immigration and say," so and so owes me money so arrest him at the airport when he comes in".

Good way to put it. If girls could cause issues at immigration there'd be a lot less people here haha

Plus I doubt she has the cash to make a problem at immigration. I've been "told" it's about 100k to do that

Not whining buddy just getting some thai marital law advice and yeah can jpay 100k and move on, but when you have coughed it up every time she has gone into debt then its like having sand under your foreskin, rather irritating. I am sure judge judy would understand and she would be telling my ex to walk the plank not me!!

This is a scam. You have passed your sell by date. She thinks she has you by the balls, but you hold all the cards. Truth be known she badly wants a divorce so she can move on to the next poor bastar'd.

Play it cool. Tell her you will only communicate by email in the future - refuse her calls. Tell her you don't love her anymore. Tell her you have no intention of granting her a divorce. Tell her that you are not responsible in anyway and that her bf can pay. Tell her you are moving to the Philippines and don't want to meet her ever again. As soon as she realises you have flown and have no intention of providing further funds, she will beg you to sign divorce papers. IMO.