Immigration clarifies new regulations for foreigners in Chiang Mai

Tywais

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I have seen several emerging industries that are initially encouraged and then crushed with bureaucracy.

The jewellery industry, arose and now its in its death rattles.

The film industry really got going but for the last five or more years is stagnating.

The IT business was a late bloomer, but the country attracted a bit of talent and few things started to happen. But its the usual story, a diminishing pool of talent and regulations that seem to "kick in", just when your making some headway. It's not a controversial statement to say that its just an uncompetitive place for the development of these kind of business's.

I've operated companies all over the world. The due diligence and effort required to keep a Thai company legal are horrendous and serve to discourage traders. There are exceptions, but its one of the last places, one would want to incorporate, from a competitive standpoint.

At first I used to think that the authorities must be crazy. Don't they see that they are strangling potential industries? Don't they see that surrounding countries are benefitting from their approach? But this didn't sit with the fact, that many Thais in powerful positions are amongst the most educated and worldly sophisticated people.

It then occurred to me, that perhaps the local oligarchy don't really want these emerging business hubs. They pretend they do, but they don't. Perhaps the development of a mobile, financially independent and educated emerging class of foreigners and locals are not in their interests. Perhaps they reckon they are more secure, if the vast majority of locals are dependant upon benevolence, rural activity and the lowly paid service sector. Certainly massage and related services seem to operate without hindrance.

If one looks at the distribution of wealth and the control of economic activity, it would appear closer to a feudal system than an emerging and competitive economy. And that is how certain sectors of Thai society may wish to keep it.

so now we are back on a life ban if you everstay by 10 years!!!

about turn yet again. No wonder people are confused.

Why do they not let one person do all the announcements and then let all the regional officers follow?

Do you really think that would make a difference? crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Absolutely correct! And the new govt does not seem to be shifting much from the Shinawatra greed is good tourism that wants to attract the "high end" so are knocking down the shacks and budget rooms. Australia offers much better value at the high end of tourism with better beaches and environmentally friendly resorts. So death to Thai tourism as it will price itself out of thearket except for the Russian and Northern European snowbirds who drop South for the winter. Local businesses also want the high end by simply doubling their prices. Good bye paradise,

Banning overstayers for more than ten years for life? Why aren't they regularizing their illegality to legal migrant and granting them citizenship like human rights groups are demanding for illegals in Europe and Australia? Thai elite does not want any Farang as citizens or legal long term residents. Thailand for the Thais and Australia for everybody or anybody?

He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited but that the person will need to get a visa to stay longer, currently there is no new visa for these kinds of people.

So how do we understand this message ?

I do online work , I receive my money in Europe. This means we can work online with any visa from Thailand.

"Currently there is no visa for these kind of people."

So is this only coming from Chiang Mai immigration or can anyone confirm this is the national view from immigration ?

From the article Post #1:

He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited but that the person will need to get a visa to stay longer, currently there is no new visa for these kinds of people.

So I guess the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will have to modify or amend its Tourist Visa Application Form where it states and then you declare in by signature:

You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

I'd like to understand this statement better. Is there an official policy/number regarding this?

Edited by getwilde

I would love if someone qualified could assist me, but I really dont think anyone will have a clear answer...

I have been granted a 1 year extension for language study by MOE as of September 1st, but I most recently entered Thailand on April 1st. According to my understanding of the new rules I will have to leave on April 1st, 2015 and apply for a new visa. Hopefully I'm wrong and my letter of approval from MOE will stand on its own and allow me until September 2015.

That being said, I know enough never, ever, to assume something that is common sense is common in LOS.

So how do we understand this message ?

I do online work , I receive my money in Europe. This means we can work online with any visa from Thailand.

"Currently there is no visa for these kind of people."

So is this only coming from Chiang Mai immigration or can anyone confirm this is the national view from immigration ?

From the article Post #1:

So I guess the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs will have to modify or amend its Tourist Visa Application Form where it states and then you declare in by signature:

You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

I'd like to understand this statement better. Is there an official policy/number regarding this?

If you are referring to the statement directly above you can read it on the Thai Tourist Visa Application Form at Item 6.:

http://dc.thaiembdc.org/form/1a001.pdf

He noted that online work for overseas companies that pay overseas is not prohibited but that the person will need to get a visa to stay longer, currently there is no new visa for these kinds of people

Some users wont like this one bit because this means young professionals can make a living in Thailand if they can get he right visa.. say marriage or others.

The spirit of the law in Thailand is to protect Thai workers from competition, this agrees with the spirit of the law though the actual letter might be different. Its nice to have this in writing but I would not trust this 100%

@JLcrab

Poor you you were one of those guys not wanting people to work online. You denied it but you seem to really dislike it. Still without a real visa for those guys unless they are married it wont be easy to stay here.

And about the other ministery amending stuff.. this is just something an official said.. its nice and encouraging and shows they will not go after online workers but still no rock solid proof and protection. So you can still tell people not to do it and hold moral grounds.. your day has not been ruined completely.

If they do that you and Ayadyayayaya (or something) will have to find a new hobby.

• Like 1

@JLcrab.

They could also mean that because you work online your not working inside Thailand (yea strange but stranger laws have been passed in countries) Anyway for many this is a real hopeful thing. For others it means that they will have to accept that young digital gifted people can make money legally while staying in Thailand.

(I would not go into a labor office or anywhere else proclaiming im doing this if I were because there still might be people seeing this otherwise. But its a good indication that there is no witch hunt for those people, but also no visa)

I've operated companies all over the world. The due diligence and effort required to keep a Thai company legal are horrendous and serve to discourage traders. There are exceptions, but its one of the last places, one would want to incorporate, from a competitive standpoint.

At first I used to think that the authorities must be crazy. Don't they see that they are strangling potential industries? Don't they see that surrounding countries are benefitting from their approach? But this didn't sit with the fact, that many Thais in powerful positions are amongst the most educated and worldly sophisticated people.

I would have to agree to some extent with what you are saying. Thailand really does not make it easy to come setup a business and utilize the citizens or infrastructure. They have this huge population and have made what appears no substantial effort to mobilize the workforce which would better suit Thai companies and foreign owned businesses if they could of course actually gain access to them.

And I mean that even right now, how do they expect to compete in the global market for trained and competent people if they do not focus now on getting the education right. A huge natural resource, just being left to waste, and what a waste to the people as well.

As for due diligence and compliance of Thai companies, I wouldn't say they are that bad, they certainly aren't good in terms of efficiency, accessibility or Utility for that matter. It is either a case of departmental silos and definitely a lack of modernization in their methods and information sharing I am sure being a unreliable to non-existent.

And just for fun an act covering the duties of Limited Private company directors.... where is that, Thailand companies that are tax resident for global income. Great, that is a real competitive move. Foreign ownership silliness, entirely missing the point that the companies value to the nation is in its turnover into the local economy which in most companies will dwarf share value by at least an order of magnitude if not several. The FBA is a PIA

Half the legislation is entirely designed to limit economic activity by limited foreign investment and just straight up protecting jobs for locals.

I could go on and on....... and looks like I already did.

Question please

If they make it so hard to open a business here in Thailand why do they have to have so many foreigners from Cambodia and Burma come here and work because with out them they can not operate. Seems to me to be an implication that they are doing OK when the population is smaller than the work force needed.

Just a question.

It is not hard to open a business here, it is consuming government services or providing to them that is not so efficient. The reason there is so many foreign workers coming into Thailand is based on a few factors, One is simply economic migration for the purpose of seeking employment and/or better pay.

I am not sure I want to get into the assumption that the workforce is smaller than what is required. Workforce productivity isn't exactly high, but then again neither are wages, and with the ability to bring in cheaper foreign labor, it would be partly suppressing Thais income growth. Otherwise the situation would usually progress to higher salaries due to competition for labor, and hopefully being offset with productivity gains through modernization and so on.

But Ideally, it is in Thailands best interests while it can socially and environmentally manage it, is to continue to grow labor demand in the country even if it requires foreign workers. That is great, there are huge benefits economically if it can be maintained long term until costs rise and off everyone goes to the new cheaper labour source. In the event of a downturn fortunately Thailand wont have to do much more than expel the foreign labor force and leave it to their home country.

.....Does my opinion answer your "question"

I would have to agree to some extent with what you are saying. Thailand really does not make it easy to come setup a business and utilize the citizens or infrastructure. They have this huge population and have made what appears no substantial effort to mobilize the workforce which would better suit Thai companies and foreign owned businesses if they could of course actually gain access to them.

And I mean that even right now, how do they expect to compete in the global market for trained and competent people if they do not focus now on getting the education right. A huge natural resource, just being left to waste, and what a waste to the people as well.

As for due diligence and compliance of Thai companies, I wouldn't say they are that bad, they certainly aren't good in terms of efficiency, accessibility or Utility for that matter. It is either a case of departmental silos and definitely a lack of modernization in their methods and information sharing I am sure being a unreliable to non-existent.

And just for fun an act covering the duties of Limited Private company directors.... where is that, Thailand companies that are tax resident for global income. Great, that is a real competitive move. Foreign ownership silliness, entirely missing the point that the companies value to the nation is in its turnover into the local economy which in most companies will dwarf share value by at least an order of magnitude if not several. The FBA is a PIA

Half the legislation is entirely designed to limit economic activity by limited foreign investment and just straight up protecting jobs for locals.

I could go on and on....... and looks like I already did.

Question please

If they make it so hard to open a business here in Thailand why do they have to have so many foreigners from Cambodia and Burma come here and work because with out them they can not operate. Seems to me to be an implication that they are doing OK when the population is smaller than the work force needed.

Just a question.

It is not hard to open a business here, it is consuming government services or providing to them that is not so efficient. The reason there is so many foreign workers coming into Thailand is based on a few factors, One is simply economic migration for the purpose of seeking employment and/or better pay.

I am not sure I want to get into the assumption that the workforce is smaller than what is required. Workforce productivity isn't exactly high, but then again neither are wages, and with the ability to bring in cheaper foreign labor, it would be partly suppressing Thais income growth. Otherwise the situation would usually progress to higher salaries due to competition for labor, and hopefully being offset with productivity gains through modernization and so on.

But Ideally, it is in Thailands best interests while it can socially and environmentally manage it, is to continue to grow labor demand in the country even if it requires foreign workers. That is great, there are huge benefits economically if it can be maintained long term until costs rise and off everyone goes to the new cheaper labour source. In the event of a downturn fortunately Thailand wont have to do much more than expel the foreign labor force and leave it to their home country.

.....Does my opinion answer your "question"

Perhaps it is more relevant to wonder if the new government will be able to standardize variances in immigration procedures at the many consulates and borders. Seems local officials have a lot of leeway in how they follow Guidance/Procedure Issues endorsed verbally/published in Bangkok. For example.... many posters claim that Savannakhet is more user friendly than the south. Seems to me that all consulates and borders officials could be centrally trained, and follow similar guidelines.

@JLcrab

Poor you you were one of those guys not wanting people to work online. You denied it but you seem to really dislike it. Still without a real visa for those guys unless they are married it wont be easy to stay here.

And about the other ministery amending stuff.. this is just something an official said.. its nice and encouraging and shows they will not go after online workers but still no rock solid proof and protection. So you can still tell people not to do it and hold moral grounds.. your day has not been ruined completely.

If they do that you and Ayadyayayaya (or something) will have to find a new hobby.

I don't know <deleted> you are talking about. I have only posted replies to guys who ask why Thailand has not provide more accommodating visa/extension procedures for those who are working online ... and I already have plenty of hobbies as you call them many of which require extensive time online and off.

What other people do to earn a living is not my concern. As for the post above, it's printed right on the Tourist Visa Application Form from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs -- if it is subject to interpretation then that is up to you.

Perhaps it is more relevant to wonder if the new government will be able to standardize variances in immigration procedures at the many consulates and borders. Seems local officials have a lot of leeway in how they follow Guidance/Procedure Issues endorsed verbally/published in Bangkok. For example.... many posters claim that Savannakhet is more user friendly than the south. Seems to me that all consulates and borders officials could be centrally trained, and follow similar guidelines.

I suspect it has more to do with the latitude afforded local senior officers in running their empires, and the "discretion" afforded to subordinates, and less to do with training. Suddenly (i.e., forcefully and with real consequences for unauthorized deviation) imposing consistent standards, practice, and enforcement all across the land would just be culturally difficult to do. Maybe it's coming, but IMO the road will be long and tortuous.

• Like 1

@JLcrab

I don't know you are talking about. I have only posted replies to guys who ask why Thailand has not provide more accommodating visa/extension procedures for those who are working online ... and I already have plenty of hobbies as you call them many of which require extensive time online and off.

What other people do to earn a living is not my concern. As for the post above, it's printed right on the Tourist Visa Application Form from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs -- if it is subject to interpretation then that is up to you.

I have seen you in other topics always having a go at digital nomads. Anyway i put more faith in what this guy says as i do in you. Nothing personal but your influence is less as his. But i still dont see this as a set rule but its real encouraging. Its shows that they allow it or at least dont look for people working online.

Im currently in the Netherlands for a holliday but this topic is quite interesting.

As for what is printed on that tourist visa is open to interpretation. Because your actual work is not in Thailand. Not a hard case but they seem to interpret it like that.

I have a go at digital nomads when they say that what they would believe to be reasonable accommodations for their extended stay in Thailand would require major legislative changes to the Thai Immigration Act, The Thai Labor/Working Act, the Thai Foreign Business Act and maybe other Ministerial Regulations and Orders. Possible, but not likely any time soon.

... and the recent Police Order that will go into effect next week had no such accommodations so at least on that score it doesn't seem imminent.

BTW one interpretation is if your a--ss is in Thailand so are you regardless of where your work is.

And I have used the term 'benign neglect' several times to characterize the Thai government's attitude toward such persons in that they will not actively enforce any rules but will also not put any major incentives in place for them to stay.

Edited by JLCrab

@JLcrab

I don't know you are talking about. I have only posted replies to guys who ask why Thailand has not provide more accommodating visa/extension procedures for those who are working online ... and I already have plenty of hobbies as you call them many of which require extensive time online and off.

I have seen you in other topics always having a go at digital nomads. Anyway i put more faith in what this guy says as i do in you. Nothing personal but your influence is less as his. But i still dont see this as a set rule but its real encouraging. Its shows that they allow it or at least dont look for people working online.

Im currently in the Netherlands for a holliday but this topic is quite interesting.

As for what is printed on that tourist visa is open to interpretation. Because your actual work is not in Thailand. Not a hard case but they seem to interpret it like that.

I am pretty sure they were referring to Digital Nomads in the quite literal and physical moving between locations manner. And so I imagine you are expected to move on, so not move on, then you aren't a nomad. In which case if you are working for a Thai firm, get your visa sorted. If you are working for yourself or own your own company, then you will simply need to get your crap together and go register a Thai business of the appropriate type and get visa from there. If you have clients discuss with them options if you really want....... totry get a Non Imm

Sounds like a lot of work, well if you are staying here, and working for yourself in some way, then you are working in Thailand and not on holiday. And it is common sense and usually wise to setup in a reasonable location say, Singapore or HK anyways. Compliance isn't expensive and taxation isn't global etc etc.

My point being, I doubt there will ever be a visa for people working online to allow them to stay long term. Would be awfully difficult to check the veracity of the applications and to be honest, thats a better deal that the citizens. They don't get to kick back and work and not pay tax and so on...

I arrived august nr 20 for another holiday (30 days entry) I was in my homecountry for 3 months, so didn't think having problems at all, BUT I did had an 4 year old passport with stamps of earlier holdays from 2011 - 2014 (2 x 1 month in 2014) and they picked me out, said I was doing borderruns (Thailand don't have any borders with Europe I learned on school :-) ) and couldn't get in. Lots of intimidation, told me to send me back again, discussions on a bench with an officer for one hour.... and finally got the choice, pay 3000 baht for breakfast for 30 employees or have a problem and fly home. Could be bluf, but what to do at 7 AM after a 11 hour flight?? For the record: didn't stay in thailand for three months, had a confirmed ticket, cash money and appartment booking :-)

Paid 3000 (couldn't do it in public area but had to go to an offce) and he gave me a stamp for a 30 days entry.

Impossible to prove you are just a tourist. Everybody knows what will happen in Thailand if you let it up to individual officers to decide what to do..... you end up paying money!!

I arrived august nr 20 for another holiday (30 days entry) I was in my homecountry for 3 months, so didn't think having problems at all, BUT I did had an 4 year old passport with stamps of earlier holdays from 2011 - 2014 (2 x 1 month in 2014) and they picked me out, said I was doing borderruns (Thailand don't have any borders with Europe I learned on school :-) ) and couldn't get in. Lots of intimidation, told me to send me back again, discussions on a bench with an officer for one hour.... and finally got the choice, pay 3000 baht for breakfast for 30 employees or have a problem and fly home. Could be bluf, but what to do at 7 AM after a 11 hour flight?? For the record: didn't stay in thailand for three months, had a confirmed ticket, cash money and appartment booking :-)

Paid 3000 (couldn't do it in public area but had to go to an offce) and he gave me a stamp for a 30 days entry.

Impossible to prove you are just a tourist. Everybody knows what will happen in Thailand if you let it up to individual officers to decide what to do..... you end up paying money!!

"Rubbish"

I was in LOS December 2013, 30 day visa exempt,

then again May 2014, 30 day visa exemp,

again Ramadan june 2014 28th - july 27th visa exempt,

I will be there again November 2014, 30 day visa exempt,

Did you get a recipt for your 3000 or did you ask to see the next official up

or did you just hand over the cash with a smile :-)

@JLcrab

I am pretty sure they were referring to Digital Nomads in the quite literal and physical moving between locations manner. And so I imagine you are expected to move on, so not move on, then you aren't a nomad. In which case if you are working for a Thai firm, get your visa sorted. If you are working for yourself or own your own company, then you will simply need to get your crap together and go register a Thai business of the appropriate type and get visa from there. If you have clients discuss with them options if you really want....... totry get a Non Imm

Sounds like a lot of work, well if you are staying here, and working for yourself in some way, then you are working in Thailand and not on holiday. And it is common sense and usually wise to setup in a reasonable location say, Singapore or HK anyways. Compliance isn't expensive and taxation isn't global etc etc.

My point being, I doubt there will ever be a visa for people working online to allow them to stay long term. Would be awfully difficult to check the veracity of the applications and to be honest, thats a better deal that the citizens. They don't get to kick back and work and not pay tax and so on...

Of course taxes have to be paid, and like you and Jlcrab i dont see a new visa anytime soon. I know plenty of online workers who only have a problem with the 4 Thais that they cant use because they target their home market and Thais just cant do the job. The problem is not setting up a company and paying taxes.

Anyway it seems clear they wont go after online workers and if they have a good visa they have no problems.

But for those online workers that want to build a future here it would be great if theuly dropped the 4 thais thing for total services for foreigners outside Thailand.

Do i see that happening no... but it would be a sweet deal as paying taxes for 3 years and if married you can go for citizenship.

• Like 1

Are you telling us that the officials at the airport are corrupted ? You paid 3000 to get in and no receipt? Was this at Suvarnabum ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are you telling us that the officials at the airport are corrupted ? You paid 3000 to get in and no receipt? Was this at Suvarnabum ?

I doubt they would give a receipt if it was a backhander. Ive got loads of entries this year mainly 4 to 5 days at a time of every month or so , I went into Swampy last time and the I/O never said a thing. The time before at DM , he asked my a couple of questions , how long are staying and why am I coming to Thailand . Better take some petty cash when I fly in on Thursday this week

I doubt they would give a receipt if it was a backhander. Ive got loads of entries this year mainly 4 to 5 days at a time of every month or so , I went into Swampy last time and the I/O never said a thing. The time before at DM , he asked my a couple of questions , how long are staying and why am I coming to Thailand . Better take some petty cash when I fly in on Thursday this week
It was,ent a backhander: Quote/ (coulden't do it in a public area but had to go to an office)

thats (balarki) Troll post.........

• Like 1

A casual comment by one official does not make it legal or constitute "Permission!" It just points out what has been true all along. A close reading of the relevant police orders indicates that even doing a few foreign work emails while here as a tourist is illegal. There are many things illegal in every country that are not enforced or done so selectively because the the authorities find them impractical to pursue or are better left alone. Prosititution comes to mind.

Basically nobody cares what a Farang does banging away on a laptop all day. It is not an insult to the Thai people as other more blatant activities appear to be. I have actually become enamored of the protections Thailand puts on jobs and the right to work. In my country (US) generations of people now have given up altogether the idea of effort and self improvement through study and work, and prefer lifestyles of dependency.

Entire lifetimes of loafing about and breeding, looking for a handout from "Government", which is in actuality a forced transfer from those who actual work and pay taxes.

Edited by arunsakda

It was,ent a backhander: Quote/ (coulden't do it in a public area but had to go to an office)

thats (balarki) Troll post.........

I just made an account on this site to inform you guys.... its what happend to me, for all the people with many 30 days entries en departures, I have them too, but they changed the rules halfway down august and they are gonna change them again 29 of august. They will consider you to be a borderrunner. Individual officers have to decied, and so money is involved.

So not so jumpy on your conlusions "troll post". I just wanted to give everybody this info, not using this site for any other reasons !! Take your changes and let me know what will happen in november.

Edited by andygrabill

do i see that happening no... but it would be a sweet deal as paying taxes for 3 years and if married you can go for citizenship.

They'd probably block you right away. Otherwise you could set up a cheapo limited somewhere in the world just for fulfilling the salary requirement, paying yourself the minimum salary needed to qualify out of your pocket money. The second you got your citizenship you could then stop that. But yeah, it'd be sweet and I would be on that train from day #1.