Best place to camping ?

JohnnyBKK

Hello,

We would like to go camping (at an affordable price).

We've found a few places where it's allowed, like national parks.

We are looking for places not too crowded by tourists.

What do you think of Than Bok Khorani National Park ? http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=59&lg=2

Anyone here could tell me if it's a good place to go camping ?

Best regads,

Jo

Consider Sri Phangnga NP. It is adjoining Khao Sok NP, but gets far less tourists. Camping next to the headquarters (there is also a small restaurant), would be the only way to stay there overnight. The NP has a lot of walking trails.

I know its about as far away as you can get, BUT....absolutely stunning location: Tarutao NP in Satun province. Koh Adang/Rawi islands where the Park headquarters are situated (on the outlying islands) allow you to camp and/or use NP simple accommodation - small restaurant also next door.

Beautiful, peaceful paradise :-)

I've also been wondering about camping in Thailand - bring a small two person tent along; maybe bike ride to it. Never have gone camping; you pay a small fee to pitch a tent? or are you expected to stay in park provided housing?

I've also been wondering about camping in Thailand - bring a small two person tent along; maybe bike ride to it. Never have gone camping; you pay a small fee to pitch a tent? or are you expected to stay in park provided housing?

in the NP's you can take your own tent, pay 20-30 baht to pitch, or rent one from the Park HQ's.

one of the larger accomm options at Chantaburi's Namtok Phlio - school groups etc; there are smaller options plus tent sites at several locations. Has views across to the Gulf of Thailand (about 10km to the coast from here)

tumblr_lwn5noBbqR1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

swim with the fish! this pool about 200m past main park entrance

tumblr_lwn572ebWO1r8w5s5o1_r4_500.jpg

tumblr_lwn572ebWO1r8w5s5o4_500.jpg

• Like 2

There are a few lovely looking camping sites along small rivers and streams off the hiway between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai that the scouts use. They look like fun. There's a guy name Dave from Paddle Asia who can recommend a lot of kayaking, trekking, mountain biking, and camping trips. Look at his website.

Mods if that wasn't allowed please inform me.

• Like 1

Pangsida (or Pang Sida) National Park - 230km east of Bangkok, about 25km north from Sa Kaeo town (on the train line from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet)

There are two main campsites, one near the entrance and one approximately 20 kilometres along the main road, close to the viewpoint. It is possible to rent tents from the visitor's centre. In addition, there are a number of guesthouses near the entrance that are available for accommodation, also some restaurants.

This map shows some NPs - including Pangsida and the two I mentioned in previous posts

tumblr_lx0bv9NuGo1r98m1bo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_lx0bv9NuGo1r98m1bo3_500.jpg

Water was low when we were last there, after rain a long series of waterfalls and swimming areas

tumblr_lx0bv9NuGo1r98m1bo6_r1_500.jpgtumblr_lx0bv9NuGo1r98m1bo7_r1_500.jpg

Well-marked bush walks - obviously 'stay on the tracks' it's a big place and would be easy to get lost.

Standard joke from the men at the gate - 'please take photos if you see tigers'

June/July each year many tours go here - over 350 species of butterflies here and those months the best time to see them. The road past the entrance is unsealed but well graded/compacted and no problem for us on a motorbike to get to the furthest viewing point about 25km.

Link to magazine article

tumblr_lx0bv9NuGo1r98m1bo5_250.jpgtumblr_lx0c1lkpkX1r98m1bo4_r1_250.jpg

Edited by gomangosteen

One of the nicest places I've camped is Sam Praya Beach in Kao Sam Roi Yot national park. It's very quiet most of the time, but should be avoided on long weekends as it gets very busy.

Khao Yai NP is also a great place to camp if you do so on weekdays outside of school holiday periods. It's a lovely spot to wake up to giant hornbills and gibbon calls. Be sure to secure your food well. I still have a plastic picnic box that we call the ``piggy'' box because a wild boar managed to unlock it and steal our bread! Very nice jungle hikes from the campgrounds, too.

Ramkhamhaeng NP is also good, although I stayed in a cabin rather than tent. Spectacular views from the top of Khao Luang. Again, best avoided during long weekends.

At Rayong there is a national park on the shores of the Gulf of Thailand. There is a small beach there. I only saw two tents while i visited. The location is just west of the small town which is the ferry terminus for Koh Samet. Although I never camped there, I thought it an ideal location which seems to be overlooked. Expensive hotel with a big long beach within a stones throw. No tourists in October 3 years ago. I liked the location so much that we spent two afternoons there while we stayed at Novotel which I also enjoyed immensely.