excellent shoe repair in Bangkok?

MeHere

That isn't mysterious btw. It is so humid here that when you wash your shoes, or they get wet, they never dry in there and will form a weak acid when combining with CO2 and it just eats the soles away from the shoe. It sucks.

The way thailand works is you just look for stuff when you walk around. I would think a clothing repair shop may be able to have a stab at fixing them. The fix job will probably be useless however. I would just go buy some way overpriced rubber cement and do it myself.

That isn't mysterious btw. It is so humid here that when you wash your shoes, or they get wet, they never dry in there and will form a weak acid when combining with CO2 and it just eats the soles away from the shoe. It sucks.

The way thailand works is you just look for stuff when you walk around. I would think a clothing repair shop may be able to have a stab at fixing them. The fix job will probably be useless however. I would just go buy some way overpriced rubber cement and do it myself.

"...just look for stuff when you walk around." Great advice.

What is this mysterious acid that is formed by the combination of leather, water and carbon dioxide?

Why do you think a "clothing repair shop" would be able to repair shoes?

Gluing the shoe yourself is much more likely to be a better repair than a shoe repairer's? Are you nuts? Or are you suggesting that a DIY repair will work better using "overpriced" glue than a professional repairer using normal glue?

I have seen a Mr Minute repair everything keos in a few shopping centres down town, think the one nearThe Novotel Phloen Chit has one in the basment, i used a side walk shoe repair once with no compliants but you wont find those guys anywhere near down town.

Basement of Robinson's, Sukhumvit, directly opposite the rear exit of Top's supermarket.

someone else had recommended this place earlier and I went there a few months ago but to no avail. even people from other shops in the basement I asked had no clue of a "shoe repair" there. must have closed down ?

I know a good guy who does great work.

You can find him on the corner of Ratchadapisek Rd and Soi 7. Just near the bus stop outside Alaina Massage Parlor.

He is a shoe repairer and has a little stall on the corner of the sidewalk. Not expensive and quality work. Highly recommend him.

Basement of Robinson's, Sukhumvit, directly opposite the rear exit of Top's supermarket.

someone else had recommended this place earlier and I went there a few months ago but to no avail. even people from other shops in the basement I asked had no clue of a "shoe repair" there. must have closed down ?

I bought laces there about 4 weeks ago, it was definitely there then.

Most Tesco-Lotus mega stores have shoe repair stalls on side.

I regularly have the heels replaced on my dress shoes. Replacing cracked or worn leather soles, I haven't found anyone who could do this here in BKK. All they offer are rubber sole replacements.

You can find him on the corner of Ratchadapisek Rd and Soi 7. Just near the bus stop outside Alaina Massage Parlor.

He is a shoe repairer and has a little stall on the corner of the sidewalk. Not expensive and quality work. Highly recommend him.

is he equipped to do quality sole replacement ?

yep

yep

No leather soles, I assume.

I've been waiting for him over the past week, wife needs two pairs to be repaired, but haven't seen him there over the past week or so. I live Huai Khwang, go past on the opposite side of the road most days.

Has anyone seen him recently?

• 5 months later...

Sorry I know this a late reply, but I am the resident shoemaker. haha. Ive finally opened up my small shoe shop. I do repairs but not onsite, I take them back to my small factory. My shop is based at the Mahanakohn CUBE on Gentleman's Row (Floor B1) ChongNonsi BTS

I've been waiting for him over the past week, wife needs two pairs to be repaired, but haven't seen him there over the past week or so. I live Huai Khwang, go past on the opposite side of the road most days.

Has anyone seen him recently?

Based on the recommendations here, I went to that shoe-repair at TOPS Sukhumvit/Asok, (I finally found it, it is important to mention that it is next to the MK Resaturant) and had a poor experience.

I did bring them my shoes and was quoted a price and was told when I can collect it. It was a Monday when they were supposed to be ready, which was okay for me (took 4 days or so), but when I went there, there was another person in charge and when I showed him my voucher, he couldn't find the shoes and said the repair is being done off-site. I told him I was supposed to leave for my yearly XMas trip to my home country the next day and wanted to take those shoes with me as they were suitable for rough winter weather, and he confirmed I could pick them up on Tuesday morning, when the "other guy" would be there.

So I went there all the way from the Eastern suburbs on Tuesday late morning (was told they will be ready by 10 a.m.) arrived at 11 a.m., only to find out that the place was now ENTIRELY UNMANNED. I left a handwritten not-so-friendly-notice and had to do my trip to home-country without the shoes (I specifcally wanted them to have for that trip, otherwise I wouldn't have spent so mkuch money on the repair of a relatively old pair of shoes).

So it was not before Three weeks later until I was able to collect my shoes after my return to the Kingdom. Luckily, the shoes were still there (it was prepaid after all). Not a good experience and for sure I will not recommend this place to anyone

Next to Suk 48, a man on the street outside the Clinic and near the dentist.

Been using him for 10 years, shoes and trainers, and he is excellent in all areas for both.

Also speaks good English, and I feel so guilty about his low prices I often tip him double.

He's better than most shoe repairers I used in the UK, so go see him.

Phrakanong is the nearest BTS.

If you're talking the one at about Soi 19 near Asoke Rd., I've used them several times, and they've done good work.

The guy there seems to only speak Thai, so bringing along a Thai speaker helps. It also seems that there may be a sliding price scale for Thai vs farang, When I went there alone, the guy quoted me high. When I took my wife along, she managed him down to a much more reasonable, but not street cheap, price.

It's in the basement, toward the back, near the MK Restaurant there.

As for their timeliness, I believe they were a day late on one of my jobs, but mostly have delivered as promised.

One of the few places I've been able to find that could put real durable effective non-slip soles on some of my rubber-type shoe soles (Hush Puppy mall walkers). I had been slippin and slidin like crazy during the rainy season until getting the soles re-done.

PS - I've never asked the shop there to do any work on any of my leather sole shoes.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have seen a Mr Minute repair everything keos in a few shopping centres down town, think the one nearThe Novotel Phloen Chit has one in the basment, i used a side walk shoe repair once with no compliants but you wont find those guys anywhere near down town.

Are you kidding? There's all kinds of sidewalk shoe repair places along lower Sukhumvit Rd. and Phahonyothin Rd north of Victory Monument, among other major thoroughfares. Whether you can depend on the quality of their work, though, is a different issue.

Been using him for 10 years, shoes and trainers, and he is excellent in all areas for both.

Also speaks good English, and I feel so guilty about his low prices I often tip him double.

SS, do you mean he's on the main Suk Rd near to Soi 48, or on Soi 48 itself?

SS, do you mean he's on the main Suk Rd near to Soi 48, or on Soi 48 itself?

On Suk itself, a few meters from Suk 48. Not there Sundays and Mondays, from memory.

Why not take them to Siam Bootery or another such shop that makes shoes. They will certainly be able to do the job.

I take mine back to one in Patong where they were made 5 years ago. Every 6 months or so, new heels and a replacement rubber sticker over the leather sole. Occasionally there might be a bit of stitch work to be done and they do that as well.

Good well fitting shoes are an investment in your feet.

• 1 year later...

A kind member pointed me in the direction of this thread but I am still struggling to find someone who can repair leather hand stitched soles. I comtacted a couple of shops but they told me they only make new shoes. At the moment it looks like my only option is a trip back to the UK! :-(

When you can't afford to buy a new pair of shoes, maybe it's time to leave Thailand, go back to your own country and get a proper job.

That is a asinine comment. I expect a pair of full leather shoes to last at least 5 years. It involves taking care of them, regular polishing and feeding, re-heeling as necessary and stitching from time to time.

They are not 199thb Bata specials.

A kind member pointed me in the direction of this thread but I am still struggling to find someone who can repair leather hand stitched soles. I comtacted a couple of shops but they told me they only make new shoes. At the moment it looks like my only option is a trip back to the UK! :-(

I can afford to buy a new pair but these are only a couple of years old and are Barkers shoes, so if you know anything about shoes, you will know that these are very good quality and you don't just chuck them away the first time they need a new heel or sole.

These are quality shoes that are made to last not like the stuff that is generally sold in most places these days.