First or Business on Thai airways?

alyx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alyx - you are aware that you can use your TG miles on any other Star Alliance, carrier, including EVA? Even SQ, which of course is a solid notch above TG?

Why on earth haven't you told me that earlier?

No! I didn't know or maybe my case is a bit different as most if the miles accumulated were transferred points from my credit card to my thai account ( does that make a difference? )

In any case, thank you to point the obvious to other and unknown to me

I feel silly but I'll know it for next time

Keep in mind that Singapore Air only releases first class seats on inter-Asia flights for awards if you aren't using their miles. If you are booking flights to the U.S. or Europe you won't be able to book first class on Singapore Air with Thai Air miles. The only way to book Singapore Airlines first class suite is with Singapore Airline miles.

I have just flown to Tokyo from Bangkok, TG Business Class A380, I would say it's ok, as said before by others, your seat choice will affect your experience, I had the last seat available which was 24J, it would not have been my choice, but it's all they had.

On my upcoming return trip, I will try to book a different seat. The Business Class on the A380 is nice enough, but it cost over double the Economy fare so it's expensive, of course it's not just the flight, you get the fast track Immigration, the no queue check in, lounge access, extra luggage allowance, priority luggage, first on and first off....

Is it worth it, well, if someone said to you go economy class instead of business, wait in a couple of queues, sit in a narrower seat, take less weight in your bag, wait longer for bags, have no lounge access and no fast track Immigration and you will be given 34,000 Baht would you take the money ?

Me, I'll be going back to economy next time, it's not worth the cost, not on Thai anyway, I paid just over 63,000 Baht, economy was under 30,000 !

Edited by Banzai99

TG are typically very expensive in business class on long haul routes compared to other airlines. Take for example BKK-LAX-BKK. TG's typical business class fare for October is US$4501. Asiana are $3311 and ANA are $3851. Both Asiana and ANA offer better service and food (at least in my opinion), plus they have lay flat sleeper seats, where TG still uses angled seats on an old 777. Outside of Star Alliance, Cathay's fare is $3249 - more than $1000 cheaper than TG, and their business class seats and service are rated the highest by many polls.

And in economy, TG are $1629, CX $1062, OZ $1194, NH $1575. TG takes the prize for highest price in economy as well.

Why? And how do they sell tickets?

I have just flown to Tokyo from Bangkok, TG Business Class A380, I would say it's ok, as said before by others, your seat choice will affect your experience, I had the last seat available which was 24J, it would not have been my choice, but it's all they had.

On my upcoming return trip, I will try to book a different seat. The Business Class on the A380 is nice enough, but it cost over double the Economy fare so it's expensive, of course it's not just the flight, you get the fast track Immigration, the no queue check in, lounge access, extra luggage allowance, priority luggage, first on and first off....

Is it worth it, well, if someone said to you go economy class instead of business, wait in a couple of queues, sit in a narrower seat, take less weight in your bag, wait longer for bags, have no lounge access and no fast track Immigration and you will be given 34,000 Baht would you take the money ?

Me, I'll be going back to economy next time, it's not worth the cost, not on Thai anyway, I paid just over 63,000 Baht, economy was under 30,000 !

I already have all these perks flying biz or not apart from the queue if I were to fly economy

Sincerely, on the short hauls I look for the bargain in business, whichever airlines but for a 3/4 hour flight if the price difference is too much, I do fly economy on short hauls

Alyx - you are aware that you can use your TG miles on any other Star Alliance, carrier, including EVA? Even SQ, which of course is a solid notch above TG?

Why on earth haven't you told me that earlier?

No! I didn't know or maybe my case is a bit different as most if the miles accumulated were transferred points from my credit card to my thai account ( does that make a difference? )

In any case, thank you to point the obvious to other and unknown to me

I feel silly but I'll know it for next time

Keep in mind that Singapore Air only releases first class seats on inter-Asia flights for awards if you aren't using their miles. If you are booking flights to the U.S. or Europe you won't be able to book first class on Singapore Air with Thai Air miles. The only way to book Singapore Airlines first class suite is with Singapore Airline miles.

No regrets, then

Thank you for pointing it our

TG are typically very expensive in business class on long haul routes compared to other airlines. Take for example BKK-LAX-BKK. TG's typical business class fare for October is US$4501. Asiana are $3311 and ANA are $3851. Both Asiana and ANA offer better service and food (at least in my opinion), plus they have lay flat sleeper seats, where TG still uses angled seats on an old 777. Outside of Star Alliance, Cathay's fare is $3249 - more than $1000 cheaper than TG, and their business class seats and service are rated the highest by many polls.

And in economy, TG are $1629, CX $1062, OZ $1194, NH $1575. TG takes the prize for highest price in economy as well.

Maybe because they have direct flights

Take flights to Paris for instance: air france and TG ....I wouldn't be caught dead in an Air France aircraft ( international route ) and there you have it

Thanks for the advice

I took a biz this morning

Actually, I had forgotten about the 20,000 baht of tax

Therefore a First wouldn't have been worth it

Unable to book the 25 A as it was already locked ( have to check later on )

How about the 26 A?

It is not clear to me as the seats seem to be placed differently

27A would be better. Row 25 and 27 have the seat beside the window and the table between the seat and the aisle. Row 26 has the table by the window and the seat is beside the aisle.

Your best options are 25A, 25K, 27A and 27K

Done....27A

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice

I took a biz this morning

Actually, I had forgotten about the 20,000 baht of tax

Therefore a First wouldn't have been worth it

Unable to book the 25 A as it was already locked ( have to check later on )

How about the 26 A?

It is not clear to me as the seats seem to be placed differently

27A would be better. Row 25 and 27 have the seat beside the window and the table between the seat and the aisle. Row 26 has the table by the window and the seat is beside the aisle.

Your best options are 25A, 25K, 27A and 27K

Done....27A

Thanks for the advice

Avoid 24J. :)

I love to read threads like this ... it gives aspirational Cattle Classers like me inspiration to do better.

One day, when I cross the threshold, the nice Hostess will say ... No David, now you can turn left ... you have arrived.

I can but dream ... biggrin.png

Maybe because they have direct flights

Take flights to Paris for instance: air france and TG ....I wouldn't be caught dead in an Air France aircraft ( international route ) and there you have it

If by "direct flights" you mean nonstop flights, none of the above, including TG, have nonstop flights between BKK and LAX.

I've flown business class (many times) on Thai and Singapore airlines..maybe 100 sectors on each, plus numerous emirates business class flights. Mostly medium haul from Australia to Asia. Singapore airlines leave thai airways a long way behind in terms of service, seat comfort and lounge quality, but It comes at additional cost.

I've flown first class on emirates suites and qantas, long haul when working in Africa.

For pure luxury emirates is my airline of choice, though I wouldn't pay to fly first class, I thought the suite was a bit claustrophobic based on my last flight this year. I preferred the business class section of the A380, though some short haul emirates flights have crappy business class. What I like more about emirates is the lounge food and alcohol selection ( superb) except for in Dubai which I think is their worst lounges.

For a general reasonably priced flight when I'm paying .... Thai business class is fine on a medium haul flight but in my view the humble economy class emergency exit always gets a thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

Lax was an example but all the routes to Europe, South Africa ( mind you this one is not that expensive ) are direct flight

My comment was regarding fares to LAX. TG do not have non-stop, direct flights to LAX.

Agreed , but I was answering the general question to why people keep flying TG although more expensive

Obviously, as I don't know this route I wouldn't risk an opinion

I've flown business class (many times) on Thai and Singapore airlines..maybe 100 sectors on each, plus numerous emirates business class flights. Mostly medium haul from Australia to Asia. Singapore airlines leave thai airways a long way behind in terms of service, seat comfort and lounge quality, but It comes at additional cost.

I've flown first class on emirates suites and qantas, long haul when working in Africa.

For pure luxury emirates is my airline of choice, though I wouldn't pay to fly first class, I thought the suite was a bit claustrophobic based on my last flight this year. I preferred the business class section of the A380, though some short haul emirates flights have crappy business class. What I like more about emirates is the lounge food and alcohol selection ( superb) except for in Dubai which I think is their worst lounges.

For a general reasonably priced flight when I'm paying .... Thai business class is fine on a medium haul flight but in my view the humble economy class emergency exit always gets a thumbs up from me.

....which comes at an extra fee like most European airlines or just pure luck wham assigned a seat?

I fly Thai first (mainly to Europe) and business class (mainly within Asia) pretty regularly and would say that, for me, there is a significant difference between the two, with thai first a significant step up in terms of service and comfort and worth the extra cost (for a long flight). In particular, I like the new first seat on the A380 which is also available on some 747s. I actualy slightly prefer the new cabin layout on the 747 (with 9 seats) to the one on the 380. I dont think Thai is up there with the very best (Singapore and Cathay) with their new first product but they are not that far behind either and it is much better than some other airlines first class offerings that i have flown recently eg BA. However not all of their fleet has the new seats and its worth checking before you book; eg at the moment , Thai is operating BKK to lon (dayflight) with an A340 which has the previous generation of first. The night flight (and early afternoon return flight from lon) usually is a 747 with the new 9 seat first. All of Thais A380,s have the new first.

I have not flown on the (Thai) A380 in business class only in first so I cant really compare directly, I have flown (Thai) business on other aircraft types and would say that, on the issues that matter to you, first is a big improvement over those. What I am not sure about is what the business class seats are like on the A380 (never seen them). If they are the standard Thai business class seat I would say pay the extra and treat yourself. I like the new first seat on Thai, for me it has enough privacy without making you claustrophobic. I am not a big fan of being completely closed in. I have flown Singapore in the suites and while they are a great experience in many ways, you do feel a little isolated , I prefer the standard Singapore first with a more open cabin. As I said above, though, I think the cabin layout on the (Thai) 747 works better for the new first (no exit/entry in front) than the upstairs cabin on the (Thai) A380 (even with its amazing loo!).

Edited by wordchild

Just checked online and I see they do have a new lie flat seat in business on the 380, looks nice and seems to get good reviews as well, I see your dilemma. For the extra price you were talking about though, why not treat yourself, go first!

Edited by wordchild

Because I don't see any real difference between biz and 1st

The option suggested by KCM seems to be the right one: row 27 which is nestled in a 12 seat niche against the 48 biz seats a bit farther

1st doesn't give me a privilege I don't already have

It's entirely up to you wether the extra comfort, exclusivity, airport 1st class lounge and other perks are worth it.

As I said earlier you might regret it later that you didn't.

Yermanee wai.gif

P.S. Is it possible with Thai that you combine for example 1st. flight in business and return in 1st or the other way around.?

Edited by yermanee

Yermanee - that would require buying two separate one way tickets. As one way tickets typically cost more than half the price of a round trip, but one business class ticket and one first class ticket might cost close to the cost of a roundtrip first class ticket.

Yermanee - that would require buying two separate one way tickets. As one way tickets typically cost more than half the price of a round trip, but one business class ticket and one first class ticket might cost close to the cost of a roundtrip first class ticket.

I only asked because as for example Emirates gives you the option of different classes on one ticket, don't know about Thai.

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

I have looked at that option with EK when the class of service that I wanted wasn't available for a particular leg. That seemed to result in pricing the ticket as individual legs, rather than a R/T, and it was expensive.

Edited by bubba

It's entirely up to you wether the extra comfort, exclusivity, airport 1st class lounge and other perks are worth it.

As I said earlier you might regret it later that you didn't.

Yermanee wai.gif

P.S. Is it possible with Thai that you combine for example 1st. flight in business and return in 1st or the other way around.?

Agreed but all these perks are of no interest to me: only the comfort in the bed is a go for me