best way out for an English teacher

I`m going to Thailand in October. I`m Russian and I will get an entry exempt for 30 days upon arrival. Want to find a job as a teacher in ChiangMai. I have a degree (5 years in university) with qualification of philologist (english and french), my spacialization is English and French instructior and translator. I dont have any TEFL certs. My teaching experience is 10 years in Russia. I need to get WP and visa as soon as possible after I come to Thailand. Ive heard I can get stay extention in immigration office for 7 days ONLY. I DO worry if I have enough time to find a job and to get visa. Is it possible to get visa somewhere in Laos? Can I change my exempt to visa. What on the whole can u say about my situation?

Ideally, you should get a tourist visa for your trip to Thailand. This will give you more time to look for a job. Then when your work permit is ready you can go to a Thai consulate in a nearby country and get a non-B visa, followed by extensions of stay from your local immigration office in Thailand.

You should get a tourist visa before traveling. You would get 60 days on entry that can be extended for 30 days.

If you enter and get a 30 day visa exempt entry you can extend it for 30 days (new rules). Without a visa you can be denied boarding your flight if you don't have a flight out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

It is possible to get a tourist visa in a neighboring country,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so I can get a tourist visa in Laos with my exempt if its not enough time to get a job, right?

After a exempt entry and/or extension ends you can apply for tourist visa.

and what about chances to find a suitable position?

You should look or post here for that info: Teaching in Thailand Forum

Your best bet is to get a tourist visa in a neighbouring country of Thailand.

While a 30 day extension will be possible, it is only for tourist purposes and might require proof that you are indeed a tourist, such as a ticket out.

1 post commenting on language skill removed per forum rules.

You can get temporary job, but you will need to become a fully qualified teacher in order to get a teaching license and be able to work as a teacher at a regular school.

Without that you can only teach at language schools or a university. On the other hand there are many Russians, so you might be able to get a job as translator.

You can't get a tourist visa in your home country? That would be best. You would have 90 days then.

Remember, Russians were mentioned as being suspect of working on visa exempt status when this latest clamp down was started.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said