Sophon Cable

Jayman

Anyone else notice that Star World (around ch 25) has been dropped from Sophon Cables lineup. I had my wife call and they said it has been permanently dropped and NO replacement channel has been decided upon. This is quite a disappointment since this was one of the few English speaking channels that has quality content. Sophon suggested if we want the channel to switch to UBC. I think I would rather buy the BIG DISH and point it to aguila satellite and get more than just Star World without any monthly payments.

I have looked on the BTV site and it still shows Star World in the lineup. Could someone with BTV confirm this to be true. I am about fed up with Sophon cable but still need something with Thai channels for my wife.

Jayman, I have Banglamung Cable. As others have said, they, too, have lost their contract with Star World, as well as Adventure 1, and Quantum TV (another English language movie channel). The unconfirmed rumor I heard is that UBC priced them out of those channels to try to force Falangs to use UBC.

In any case, I had my big dish hooked up today. The Agila satellite does have some Thai channels. I haven't explored enough to tell you how many, or which ones, but there are Thai channels there.

I suggest that you go that way. Your expense for a dish will be fairly high. However, it's a one-time expense. With UBC, you'll be paying about 18K baht per year for the "Gold" package, which you'll need for decent programming.

I had my dish put in by SAMART. You can find cheaper deals. But I value the experience and dependabilty of these people, as well as the fact that the manager of the local office, "Mr Kim", speaks pretty good English, and can provide you with a variety of options. The office is located on the east side of Sukhumvit Road, directly opposite Tesco Lotus.

I hope it works out for you. At this moment, after losing Star World and Quantum TV on Banglamung, I am a VERY happy TV nut!

George

Edited by patsfangr

I Have Star World and BBC Prime on my UBC Platinum package. Apart from some sport, CNN, BBC World Service, and the very occasional movie, Star World and BBC prime are pretty much the only channels I watchthese days

BBC Prime has some good classic comedy, and some of the American comedy on Star World is not too bad. I've become a huge fan of Seinfield which I find hillarious, but I guess it might not be to everyone's taste.

I don't actually watch a huge amount of TV these days, spend most of my evenings on the PC.

As a matter of interest, what programmes on Star World did you guys used to watch and which ones in particular will you miss?

In any case, I had my big dish hooked up today. The Agila satellite does have some Thai channels. I haven't explored enough to tell you how many, or which ones, but there are Thai channels there.

I suggest that you go that way. Your expense for a dish will be fairly high. However, it's a one-time expense. With UBC, you'll be paying about 18K baht per year for the "Gold" package, which you'll need for decent programming.

I had my dish put in by SAMART. You can find cheaper deals. But I value the experience and dependabilty of these people, as well as the fact that the manager of the local office, "Mr Kim", speaks pretty good English, and can provide you with a variety of options. The office is located on the east side of Sukhumvit Road, directly opposite Tesco Lotus.

I hope it works out for you. At this moment, after losing Star World and Quantum TV on Banglamung, I am a VERY happy TV nut!

George

May I ask how much you paid for what and if you researched other suppliers, George?

I know very little about satellite here, and so wonder how you can decode signals without having an arrangement with a provider and therefore associated ongoing costs?

Thanks for any pointers.

BBC Prime has some good classic comedy, and some of the American comedy on Star World is not too bad. I've become a huge fan of Seinfield which I find hillarious, but I guess it might not be to everyone's taste.

Same package as you Mobi, BBC Prime is very good. Excellent comedy indeed.

Good drama as well. I used to like watching 'Spooks' on a Thursday though the present series has now finished.

Star World used to show Ultimate Force I thought that was entertaining. I hope there is a new series in the pipeline.

Star World WILL become a subscription only channel very soon - so if your considering buying a 20,000 baht dish to continue receiving 'free' programmes, expect this one to be scrambled. Star is owned by News International and has been losing money hand over fist ever since it started - it has now achieved some semi-decent viewership figures and exactly like how Murdoch operates, he will turn off the free service and scramble it. Hey presto, everyone subscribes and he makes another fortune. To my mind the best value package for those who are tight or skint is the UBC silver package - its about 900 baht a month and includes both BBC prime and Star World as well as about 30 other channels including Cinemax and MGM movies I think. It does not include Star Movies, HBO or the news channels such as BBC world, CNN etc - for those you have to go with either Gold or platinum. Personally I cant be bothered with all the scrambling and have the platinum package. I also have cable but its a waste of time except for ABC asia pacific (australian entertainment channel).

Same package as you Mobi, BBC Prime is very good. Excellent comedy indeed.

Good drama as well. I used to like watching 'Spooks' on a Thursday though the present series has now finished.

Star World used to show Ultimate Force I thought that was entertaining. I hope there is a new series in the pipeline.

Yes, I forgpot about the dramas on BBC Prime - some of them are very good - pity they insist on repeating them ad nauseum. Far less repeats on Star World, I find.

BTW, Spooks is also on Hallmark, but it's probably an earlier series. Hallmark are also showing Doc Martin with Martin Clunes, which is BBC light drama at its best. I've only caught a couple of them but they are very good. :o