Traveling Bkk-mukdahan

I posted this in the travel forum but I think it may have more success here as it technically visa related and it may also help those needing to travel to savannakhet for a visa....

So my wife and I took advantage of the recent air asia promotion for a flights to DMK in October and I will need a new visa then. I am planning on driving from don muang (flying into DMK from Chiang Rai and renting a car) with my wife (Thai) and son to mukdahan in order to head over the bridge to get a new visa in savanakhet. Am going first week in October, so still have plenty of time to figure things out but want to start...

if anybody has driven it i am just wondering what the drive is like, about how long it takes, road conditions, etc.... Not interested in the bus. Want to take a little trip with the family.

google says its about a 7.5 hour drive.

any info would help a lot and be much appreciated!

I have not driven that route but have driven on various routes in that area and most of the roads are in ok shape, just figure your route from Bangkok and go for it. I have driven cars and motorbike around Thailand without trouble, you may want to pick up a good road map of Thailand as it will give you a few options.

..I took a bus ride to Mukdahan last December and the bus driver was sharp and each stop was performed in seconds...

like an Indy car tyre change. Bus trip was 14 hours. You might wish to recheck your routing, time of day, etc.

It is a tough trip, do not underestimate it...

Edited by burgdawg

Haha this is why I'm asking.

Google says it's just 7.5hours driving so how is the bus 14 hours?

Is it like stop lights the entire way there or what?

It takes 12 hours by bus from CM to Bangkok but I have driven it in 7 and a half hours, the bus always takes longer on any given route. Just make sure you are not travelling on a holiday and you should be fine.

It is an easy drive, but takes a while depending on traffic. Once you are clear of Korat it is easy going.

We usually then go either Mahasarakham or Roi Et. There are several alternatives on what look like small roads but are not. Mostly well surfaced. Go up Route 2 beyond Korat. Well before Khon Kaen turn right

Route 23. Avoid Kalasin and Phu Phan!

I took a bus from Mo Chit to Mukdahan on a Sunday night, VIP bus was about 600 bt. Bus left at 8pm and arrived in Mukdahan about 10 hours later. The connecting bus to Laos costs about 50 bt so I was at the consulate just before it opened up.

Return journey on the Tuesday, flew back from Ubon Ratchathani. Took a minivan from Mukdahan to Ubon bus station then a Moto Taxi to the airport.