Trouble starting the car.

It's all splitting hairs. In my days a mechanic has basic training then went on with further training to become a fitter. Somewhere along the lines I picked up a degree in aeronautical and aerospace structural engineering (airframes) but whenever asked I refer to myself a a technician.

If you look at the oxford dictionary an engineer is a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures. So pick your choice on what you want to call yourselves.

People who rely on dictionaries usually don't know how to use or interpret language....or dictionaries.

e.g. - DOCTOR - " a person who is qualified to treat people who are ill" if you can't see the limitations of that as a definition then I advise that in future, you steer clear of dictionaries

Edited by wilcopops

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its quite a well known fact that big truck [2 12v 600 amp cranking power batteries have a hard life] i got many a call out with the wrecker in cold weather to tow start or jump start trucks, when i got there 80% would start without help, it seemed to me at the time that the shock of a big discharge would wake up the sulphating plates, causing bubbles to rise in the cells giving off an acidic gas, once this had cleared, the batteries would start the engine,

Two things cause this, overcharging and old batteries, so OP, what you need is a heavy discharge tester on your battery, voltmeter is next to useless for testing a batteries condition, good battery shops should do this free, you can watch the gauge on it yourself, if it stays in the green for 30 seconds, its good, but if after 4/5 seconds it starts going down to red, your battery is finished, and at the same time, get the alternator output checked, you could do this with a voltmeter, hold the engine at about 1200rpm, check reading, switch on headlights, check VM, has it coped? then switch on more stuff, is it still holding same reading, if so, alternator is ok, if not, it needs an overhaul or replacing,,

Engineers?? i once on here told a fella how to check his toyota pick up clutch for wear and slipping, IE, handbrake on, engage 2 or 3rd gear, heel and toe up to 1500rpm, let clutch up slowly, if the clutch is good it will stall the engine, if not its worn out, a certain "engineer" on here told him not to bother with this, although this procedure is in the toyota workshop manual,, some "engineer" ha ha,,