What's the first thing u think when u arrive in samui and see this

BigC

Just wondering what people make of these buildings

Eye sore ?

Nice buildings ?

For me I worry as I remember Spain with mountains of concrete buildings like this are ok with moderation as not much else there before

post-39813-14091318157547_thumb.jpgpost-39813-14091318336775_thumb.jpgpost-39813-14091318480978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

1st thing my Daughter running to meet and greet smile.png

2nd thing even if away for a week or so to notice new buildings and construction …

& Those buildings in OP's post , where is the thai style roof , which I thought was necessary for permit ...blink.png

Edited by churchill
  • Like 2

You guys are like 8-10 yrs late on this. These were the 1st flat roofed modern style buildings on the island, and after these were approved and built, they decided that there should be no more. There are a few more of course, courtesy under the table handshakes, but these were the first, and approved.

I think: What has happened to my beautiful island? I'll have a dip or two and buy a ticket out. But then I don't live there. Bit like first time I came to BKK; had taxi driver do U turn near Din Daeng, returned to airport. Bought a ticket to Phuket. Roads were all dirt, roofs were all corrugated, beach was pristine. Stayed 10 years. Went back last month. Traffic jammed, wondered why I had not continued to learn Russian. Left.

The only eyesore´s I see in the photo´s are the billboards along the road. But hey - this is Thailand, where huge billboards are "growing" along the roads, like trees grow in the western world.

When it comes to Samui, this once so wonderful island has already been spoiled in so many ways, by the ever increasing number of tourists, so why feel bad about that these people also need a place to live? There are thousands and thousands of older and uglier buildings on the island, than the one in the photo. Most people on the island make a living out of servicing other people living on the island.

• Like 1

I agree they are an eye sore but were approved before the new regulations came in to force. Even under the new regulations, that hill is under the 80 metre elevation limit so would not be subject to the same restrictions. The previous requirement for pitched roofs required a pitch so low that it gets hidden by the parapet walls. The new regulations are good for the island as long as they are enforced of course!

There is nothing wrong with the buildings, it is the electrical lines and poles that are offensive. These eyesores have all but left much of the cityscapes in Canada. Electrical goes underground now. Initial cost may be higher but maintenance is lower. Electricity is reliable.

Built by cdp (c$$%s d/%&s and p/$%#s) now run by a belgium guy called christoph who is as above a c$$% never mind money talks here shag

I'm new to Thai Visa Forum...Is there a translation book available anywhere so that I can understand what is written here?

Big C should be back shortly! ..... only he could help on that! biggrin.pngwhistling.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Built by cdp (c$$%s d/%&s and p/$%#s) now run by a belgium guy called christoph who is as above a c$$% never mind money talks here shag

I'm new to Thai Visa Forum...Is there a translation book available anywhere so that I can understand what is written here?

Big C should be back shortly! ..... only he could help on that! biggrin.pngwhistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Samui J - Me finks Big C should be classed as a WMD... setting off such a mass attack on ordinary people's craniums and reducing poor old (or young) Worzel to sprout forth in such an incoherent manner!

Edited by Rooo
quotes

The first thing??

" Why does Thailand have so many adult idiots with nothing better to do that make posts like this? "

You mean the same type of idiots who comment on posts and thus contribute? clap2.gif

Coconut man - I've only joined up 5 minutes ago... and I'm already getting sucked in!!!

Edited by Rooo
quotes
  • Like 1

The first thing??

" Why does Thailand have so many adult idiots with nothing better to do that make posts like this? "

You mean the same type of idiots who comment on posts and thus contribute? clap2.gif

Coconut man - I've only joined up 5 minutes ago... and I'm already getting sucked in!!!

Welcome to the club then! (or you could cancel your membership)

The first thing??

Welcome to the club then! (or you could cancel your membership)

Noooo... cannot.. I'm learning so much about alien beings.. and I think I have found a new friend already... Samui Jimmy.. I like him so much.

The first thing i think is............

'oh no, 2 weeks with the in laws :-('

I hate Samui..............

Only positive note is that usually, after about 2 days, the wife has had a huge row with her dad and we decamp to phangan......

2 days later, go back to top of reply and replace 2 weeks with 10 days....

and it continues until its finally time to go back home to Rangsit :-)

1st thing my Daughter running to meet and greet smile.png

2nd thing even if away for a week or so to notice new buildings and construction …

& Those buildings in OP's post , where is the thai style roof , which I thought was necessary for permit ...blink.png

Hi OP here

Is the buildings you normally see when landing in Samui airport