Ranong private sector call for Kra Isthmus Canal project revival

webfact

Ranong private sector call for Kra Isthmus Canal project revival
By Digital Content

RANONG, Aug 28 -- Private business interests in Thailand's southern province of Ranong is proposing a revived 'Thai Canal,' or Kra Isthmus Canal project to Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha for consideration.

Nit Ouitekkeng, advisor to the chair of the Ranong Chamber of Commerce, said that the chamber, the industrial council and the tourism association of Ranong will call for the revival of the project for the new government to consider.

Mr Nit said that many governments had considered the project but finally shelved it. He said it was a mega-project that would benefit the national economy.

He claimed the project was stalled due to the political problems.

Mr Nit said that the Kra Canal would be a shortcut between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean and Thailand would become an important location of transport between both oceans.

The project would lead to industrial and commercial development in southern Thailand, he said.

He referred to new deep-sea ports, electric railways, east-west highways, refineries, oil depots, and water and power supply facilities.

The Thai Canal, formerly known as Kra Canal or Kra Isthmus Canal, refers to a plan for a large canal that would cut through southern Thailand at Ranong province to enable improved transportation in the region. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-08-28

..it would be the best thing to ever happen and be the making of Thailand for the next 200 years. They should go for it.

Agree with you for the first time... This canal should have been built long ago... I thought two major Chinese companies had got together and put a proposal to the Thai government to build and fund it privately. Sure I read that proposal on here.... Singapore has been fighting against this canal for a long time. I have read also that certain Singaporean companies have paid and bribed one or two previous Thai prime ministers to forget this project ..

• Like 2

It will be the influential people and politicians who bought land down

there years ago,thinking it was going to be a done deal,only to be

thwarted by a coup or change of government,that want this to move

forward now ,so they can get their speculative rewards.

regards worgeordie

Seems like this is 50 years too late. It's hard to imagine Thailand would ever recover it's investment on this. Shipping industry has been on decline since 2008. By cutting out Singapore the advantage is only like 2 shipping days, so the toll any ships would pay would be very minimal. Also Singapore is a logistic distribution center as well, which Thailand isn't.

Finally, there's the point that Mojomor mentioned about China building shipping link with Myanmar as well. The fact that the thai canal hasn't been built already answers the question about whether it's worth it.

Sorry Thailand, but as with everything you're still stuck in the 19th and 20th century. The world has moved on to the 21st century. Too bad.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seems like this is 50 years too late. It's hard to imagine Thailand would ever recover it's investment on this. Shipping industry has been on decline since 2008. By cutting out Singapore the advantage is only like 2 shipping days, so the toll any ships would pay would be very minimal. Also Singapore is a logistic distribution center as well, which Thailand isn't.

Finally, there's the point that Mojomor mentioned about China building shipping link with Myanmar as well.

Sorry Thailand, but as we everything you're still stuck in the 19th and 20th century. The world has moved on to the 21st century. Too bad.

These seem to me to be reasons why it wouldn't work. The "Ranong private sector" just seems to be a bit naive to me in thinking that they will magically get all of the traffic that currently passes Singapore.

It seems it's sell by date expired when China and Myanmar came to an agreement on the big new port on the western seaboard of Myanmar, and the rail lines linking it to China.

I've been wondering about this as well with all the talk about new rail links to China in Thailand. Why is it important? The exit to the sea is into the Gulf of Thailand, not the open ocean. China already has access to the South China Sea from its own territory and building rail links through Myanmar makes more sense to access the open ocean towards the west. Both access points are further north and require less rail as well. I suppose the mountains in northern Myanmar are an obstical, but it looks like that's been accounted for.

This project has been resurrected as many times as Swampy was, and for as long; I have been here 20 years and it has certainly been mooted twice in that time, notably by General 'Flip Flop' when he was the PM in the late 90s. No doubt he has land down there! I agree with the point that Thailand would be unlikely to recoup the enormous amount of money that it would cost to build the canal and I doubt it could be done without as many kickbacks as Swampy generated, even given the current regime. Then there are the practical problems, not the least of which is the sheer size of modern tankers, so it's no good Thailand thinking in terms of the old Suez or Panama canals. I also agree with the point about the naive idea that all ships would suddenly want to hop through the Kra Canal. Dream on LoS! As an afterthought, I suppose it could be funded from our man in Dubai!?

The Kra Isthmus canal would be the best thing that could happen to Thailand (the more so for the South), not only in an economical development point of view (and most of it would be financed by international groups), but also on a geo-political level: it would definitely put Thailand on the map of the 21st century's world. But, as long as there are greedy, corrupt 'decision makers' and politicians who betray their home-country and fellow-Thais' interests, in opposing the project, or in postponing it forever, selfishly prefering to line their own pockets, erm, 'helped' by the 'enemy Nr.1' of the canal, Singapore (which would lose a lot of its maritime activity), 'enemy Nr.2' Burma (which would see its own massive portal projects lose about all interest), and some other neighbouring countries which don't wish 'brother-Thailand' to gain in importance in a major way inside ASEAN..., it alas won't happen. Gen Prayuth's outing about the Kra Isthmus canal didn't bode well (maybe he was misinformed, or misquoted?), that while the present 'momentum' created by the NCPO, and its (temporary?) independence from the political and 'big business' quagmire (that has all interest in keeping the Thai population down and low), could be a unique opportunity to make a clear and positive, also undisputed, official decision to, at last, start up the canal project! And for sure before signing off orders for some double track standard gauge railway lines, whose grid would first need to be adapted to that major new pole of activity...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Finally, there's the point that Mojomor mentioned about China building shipping link with Myanmar as well.

Sorry Thailand, but as we everything you're still stuck in the 19th and 20th century. The world has moved on to the 21st century. Too bad.

These seem to me to be reasons why it wouldn't work. The "Ranong private sector" just seems to be a bit naive to me in thinking that they will magically get all of the traffic that currently passes Singapore.

It seems it's sell by date expired when China and Myanmar came to an agreement on the big new port on the western seaboard of Myanmar, and the rail lines linking it to China.

I've been wondering about this as well with all the talk about new rail links to China in Thailand. Why is it important? The exit to the sea is into the Gulf of Thailand, not the open ocean. China already has access to the South China Sea from its own territory and building rail links through Myanmar makes more sense to access the open ocean towards the west. Both access points are further north and require less rail as well. I suppose the mountains in northern Myanmar are an obstical, but it looks like that's been accounted for.

Do you have personal interest in Singapore and/or Burma, maybe work for people who do, or is it your genuine opinion that Thailand should sacrifice one of its potential major poles of interest to comfort Singapore's position or build-up the Burmese infrastructure?

"I suppose the mountains in northern Myanmar are an obstacle, but it looks like that's been accounted for."

The Chinese are very familiar with mountains and railways, they built the railroads in western North America through the Rockies and Tibet, western China.

The Myanmar, Thilawa and Kyaukphayu ports are being developed by Japanese and Chinese consortiums. I think the canal at Khra is an opium laced dream.

• Like 1

Oh, so the rail lines which would link the western seaboard of Myanmar to China would not be built, on Thai soil, in the interest of the Thai nation? That might be news for some, while many of us knew it from day one. Wouldn't you think the Thai State still have a word or two it could say to gently interrupt the party, and decide to go for its own interests, which definitely are not in Burma (nor in Singapore), or do you really want the mega-rich (Thai-)Chinese groups and families to accrue some more wealth on the back of the, true, real, Thai population? No Kra Isthmus canal for them for sure (they must have been investing big time already in land around that 'Chinese railway line', wouldn't be fair to take away the huge profits they count on, isn't it?), but, for the Thai Nation...?

The Kra Isthmas canal project route from Ranong when surveyed was seen to be too costly and time consuming because of the enormous amount rock removal.

The most preferred and logical route is double-lane highway 44 to Surat Thani, starting just before Krabi, which was considered to be secretly mapped out and surveyed long ago. Basically the whole route is predominantly soil which could be removed in a very short amount of time without too much difficulty. Plus the elevation of the sea at that route is near to equal both sides doing away with the need for multiple locks.

The whole problem in the past has been political interference and outside influence from the likes of Singapore and Britain. Providing Gen Prayuth supports the idea, and stays in power to see the project delivered, the project could become a revived reality.

Edited by MK1
  • Like 1

..it would be the best thing to ever happen and be the making of Thailand for the next 200 years. They should go for it.

Agree with you for the first time... This canal should have been built long ago... I thought two major Chinese companies had got together and put a proposal to the Thai government to build and fund it privately. Sure I read that proposal on here.... Singapore has been fighting against this canal for a long time. I have read also that certain Singaporean companies have paid and bribed one or two previous Thai prime ministers to forget this project ..

Pirates are likely to engage in a LITTLE bribery as well. (Or worse!)

"I suppose the mountains in northern Myanmar are an obstacle, but it looks like that's been accounted for."

The Chinese are very familiar with mountains and railways, they built the railroads in western North America through the Rockies and Tibet, western China.

The Myanmar, Thilawa and Kyaukphayu ports are being developed by Japanese and Chinese consortiums. I think the canal at Khra is an opium laced dream.

Yes, i was there two weeks ago. On a bullet train going through tunnel after tunnel. Its incredible. So much of that country is mountains and yet all they do it build mega projects. Its amazing.

They are already in the mountains, so they just need to come down the other side. I guess my point was, even though i didn't write it, is northern Thailand is much less mountainous so it might cost less to go through Thailand. But all you need to do is look at a map to see Myanmar makes more sense. So the higher initial investment (if it is one ) would be worth it.

Chinese companies bidding to build the canal means Chinese control and Chinese naval facilities at both ends of the proposed canal; and, probably a nominally joint Thai and Chinese security force protecting the canal. The main beneficiary would by China both commercially and militarily, with the Chinese navy effectively controlling the Gulf of Thailand and effectively peninsular Thailand. That would be an anathama to any Thai military person and would probably be unacceptable to most ordinary Thais.

Have any of the parties suggesting this rally considered the cost and scale of this endeavor? We are talking about cutting through mountains that are hundreds of meters tall, across a land mass of about 100km. Not to mention the safety issues pertaining to potential tsunamis, etc. And the channel would have to be 200 to 300 meters across, necessitating significant bridge projects. Is all this feasible? Who pays for this? The last thing in the world you would want to do would be to get China involved in this project.

Thailand cannot build anything by themselves as they lack expertise in almost every field; except corruption! So who will be proud to pay 30-40% mark up on the construction costs?! Dnt talk maintenence yet.... Its all populism and the project will be just a 'headliner as all government topics. No way this will ever be completed..... Or maybe in 2080, so we all will not enjoy the dear's leader's happiness; what a pity

Thailand cannot build anything by themselves as they lack expertise in almost every field; except corruption! So who will be proud to pay 30-40% mark up on the construction costs?! Dnt talk maintenence yet.... Its all populism and the project will be just a 'headliner as all government topics. No way this will ever be completed..... Or maybe in 2080, so we all will not enjoy the dear's leader's happiness; what a pity

China for one will throw money at this project, and supply the workers. Thailand has done a good job of building there roads on concrete legs and have you seen the Sky train , all Thailand's efforts, don't knock them , They have the expertise.

If this project comes to live then 'Ratisavat prathet thai'!

Just recall the Panama / Suez history and you will never would like to live this nightmare.... or just check on the latest megalomaniac project->

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/08/14/340402716/nicaragua-banks-on-its-own-canal-to-boost-economy

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/08/economist-explains-9

Question: Who is profiting from it?

Edited by bronco10250

China for one will throw money at this project, and supply the workers. Thailand has done a good job of building there roads on concrete legs and have you seen the Sky train , all Thailand's efforts, don't knock them , They have the expertise.

Yes, you are right... With help of outside know-how. Just see the current airport link issue.... i doubt they can maintain such a complex project, neither run it! The skytrain is nothing in comparison to this! Have you ever been in Colon/Panama or Suez/Egypt?!

Thats far to much of a job for a country as Thailand, sorry to say!

I agree 100% provided that it is completely privately financed and NO government money is spent on the project.

After all if the private sector is so keen on it then why don't they put their money where thier mouth is. After all they will gain the most from it.