Recently married to Thai, need interim visa options

Hi All, some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I got married in Thailand last month and have been going there on the 30 day visa up to now because I can only travel to Thailand two weeks at a time due to working abroad.

Now I have finished the job and I want to relocate to Thailand. My aim is to get the Non-O marriage visa. However I do not have a Thai bank account yet and I have been told that I need to have 400K in a Thai bank account for 3 months before I can get my first Non-O marriage visa. Money is not an issue.

If this is the case should I get a triple entry visa until I qualify for the Non-O? I have UK and Irish passports.

Also what is the difference between the triple entry visa and the Multi-entry visa? How long do each last for? Any advantages or limitations to either of these?

All advice or suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys

Rob

You can get a 60 days extension of your current stay at immigration for a fee of Bt 1,900.

Then you can go, to e.g. Savannakhet Laos for a non-imm 'O', single or multi entry.

When use in combination with the extension above, a multi entry visa can be used for about 17 months stay without showing financials.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

if as you said money is not an issue i suggest you may consider just getting a '12 month extension of stay' based on marriage to a thai national, for which the 400k baht needs to be in an account in your name only for 60 days [first extension, subsequent extensions 90 days].

if you can get a 'single non-o visa' before arriving in thailand you can then simply apply for the 12 month extension in the last 30 days of your permitted to stay stamp.

this option does not require you to leave thailand and is done at your local immigration office.

Edited by utr

The 60 day extension will get you some time.

You can then get a 12 month extension. 400,000 baht in the bank for 2 months.

Or 40,000 Baht monthly income

From then on you can apply every 12 months. Money in the bank for 2 months every time. Or 40,000 Monthly income.

You can get a 60 days extension of your current stay at immigration for a fee of Bt 1,900.

Then you can go, to e.g. Savannakhet Laos for a non-imm 'O', single or multi entry.

When use in combination with the extension above, a multi entry visa can be used for about 17 months stay without showing financials.

confirmed... you will need no proof of income or cash in the bank.

Edited by PaulHamon

If you are still in the UK, take your marriage certificate to a Thai consulate and apply for a non O. Come to Thailand, open the bank account with the ฿400k, eighty days time go to your local immi and apply for the one year extension.

OP, let's clear up some misunderstandings first. 1) The 30 days "visa" you referred to is actually a visa exempt entry as there are no such visas; 2) A Non-Immigrant Visa can only be obtaine abroard at a Thai embassy or consulate. What you are referring to is an temporary permission of stay in Thailand based on being married to a Thai; 3) The 400,000 baht you are referring to need to be in your own Thai bank account fro two months, not three months.

As paz is mentioning above in another posting, you could apply for a 60 days temporary permission of stay. You need to bring your wife with you.

When applying for a one year temporary permission of stay you could either use the 'money in the bank' methode OR show proof of a minimum monthly income of 40,000 baht, verified by your local embassy or consulate. Another condition is tht you must be able to prove that you actually are living with your wife.

Good luck!

OP, let's clear up some misunderstandings first. 1) The 30 days "visa" you referred to is actually a visa exempt entry as there are no such visas; 2) A Non-Immigrant Visa can only be obtaine abroard at a Thai embassy or consulate. What you are referring to is an temporary permission of stay in Thailand based on being married to a Thai; 3) The 400,000 baht you are referring to need to be in your own Thai bank account fro two months, not three months.

As paz is mentioning above in another posting, you could apply for a 60 days temporary permission of stay. You need to bring your wife with you.

When applying for a one year temporary permission of stay you could either use the 'money in the bank' methode OR show proof of a minimum monthly income of 40,000 baht, verified by your local embassy or consulate. Another condition is tht you must be able to prove that you actually are living with your wife.

Good luck!

One correction to 2) you can, in Bangkok only, get A Non-Immigrant Visa as the first step to getting an extension of stay based on marrage or retirement.

One clarification to 3) extensions of stay based on marrage require money in the bank for 2 months every time.

my opinion is:

- go to the thai ambassy of your country and ask them personaly what you need or go to the immigration office in bangkok and they will tell you exactly depending of your situation what you have to do and how.

trust me the best you can do to learn and to do it right, is doing it yourself with the inconvenient at the bigining of the thai language, yes...., but you want to come here right? so you have to go trough this!....the rest is bla bla bla!coffee1.gif

my opinion is:

- go to the thai ambassy of your country and ask them personaly what you need or go to the immigration office in bangkok and they will tell you exactly depending of your situation what you have to do and how.

Consulates and embassy do know very little about immigration in Thailand. It is not thier job. The best correct advice is obtained in this forum.

Hi I have a thai girlfriend and a 8 month old baby with my surname is it possible to get an O visa if I show a photocopy of the baby's birth certificate and can I make a dual passport for my baby I am a Maltese citizin

For non-imm 'O' visa you need the original birth certificate, not a copy.

You need to check with the honorary Maltese consul in Bangkok about citizenship for your son.

Thanks but at the moment I am in London

You can call or email, with all probability the process starts with the original birth certificate translated and legalized, these steps do not require your presence.

Does the original birth certificate be stamped as an apostile?

Thailand is not a member of the apostille convention. The Maltese Consul will advise you on the form of legalization that is needed.

Edited by paz

Show them the original birth certificate of your child. Have a photo copy of the birth certificate and let it be signed by the mother. Copy of ID card of the mother and signed, copy of the blue house-book (TB) and signed with your first name as the father. A return-ticket is/was required for me in Germany.

Well does your wife have that kind of money then you don't have to wait if she has the account, with proper income or money in the bank. She could guarantee for you pretty sure then you dont have to wait the 60 days. Correct me if I'm wrong

Well does your wife have that kind of money then you don't have to wait if she has the account, with proper income or money in the bank. She could guarantee for you pretty sure then you dont have to wait the 60 days. Correct me if I'm wrong

The wife's money in the bank and income cannot be used to get an extension. The money has to be in the bank for 60 days.

For income there is no 60 day requirement unless from working here then some offices will want proof of tax payments for 2 or 3 months.

What is a blue house book and who sign it me or my girlfriend?

Blue book (tambieen baan) is house registry for foreigners. It is not mandatory and does not bring significant benefits.

Yellow Book is the same for Thai, it is very important and copy of it is necessary for virtually any official act like property or vehicular sales, visa/ extensions application for a foreigner relative, etc.

Your GF and your baby should have been registered in the same Yellow book.

What is a blue house book and who sign it me or my girlfriend?

Blue book (tambieen baan) is house registry for foreigners. It is not mandatory and does not bring significant benefits.

Yellow Book is the same for Thai, it is very important and copy of it is necessary for virtually any official act like property or vehicular sales, visa/ extensions application for a foreigner relative, etc.

Your GF and your baby should have been registered in the same Yellow book.

I think you got crossed up in what you posted. Yellow is for foreigners and blue for Thais.

Hi I have a thai girlfriend and a 8 month old baby with my surname is it possible to get an O visa if I show a photocopy of the baby's birth certificate and can I make a dual passport for my baby I am a Maltese citizin

It is possible to get non-o visa from Penang, Malaysia with thai birth certificate and housebook registration. See my recent post on my profile.

In uk, try to find honorary thai consulate that may issue this for you. But you may need an english translation of the birth certificate, like in the usa.