Settling Your Thai Partner in Australia

This is relevant from about 2 years ago now and likely nothings changed...

Medicare, she needs (hang on my minds gone blank)...a conformation of partner visa approval letter/email you will recieve from DIAC. Piece of cake once she has that letter, Medicare know it oh to well.

She will be issued a blue temporary Medicare card(same everything as our green Medicare card but expires after a few months, but Medicare automatically update the new number, no biggie) by mail, but gets a temporary piece of paper with her new number right there and then ready to go the moment you apply(walk into any Medicare office).

Health Insurance, we just use Medicare. Mate of mine however got his Thai wife plus her Thai son tied on to his private cover, no problems.

Bank. Her passport is enough, for any Aussie bank.

Credit Card!!!w00t.gif ...Now how's this. My wife after 1 year on partner visa was handed a CC with $8500 from CBA, then she has another account at Westpac, she was offered $5000 base on a credit card but could request more (both banks knew she wasn't a permanent Aussie citizen btw, and have heard the sponsor is liable for all debt recovery), but I put my foot down and threw it in the bin. Raises how many rack up every banks credit cards to possibly a couple/several million baht then do a runner?

Drivers license. Look if she has a great grasp of the English language then no probs, but what the Thais do here is get a Thai friend of a Thai friend who is used as a translator (and driving instructors are familiar with this procedure) to sit in the back seat of the car to translate between Eng/Thai. These translators are also ok to sit with them also while they do the written part of the license which obviously 2 heads are better than 1(you get the sneaky picture)... but suggest get an international license before arriving in Australia will help her also with practice.(ie, picking Krisb up from the localthumbsup.gif )

Tax File Number. Just apply online. Easy. ATO just send her new TFN in the mail.

Her new Aussie employer will sort out her Superanuation, obviously.

There's not much else needed really I can think of.

Keep in mind if you move address, let DIAC know and fill out another form(free)

Remember all her visas like tourist etc, all count towards becoming permanent, not just the partner visa.(Can't remember the specified time frame, maybe 4 years total on Aussie soil.)

• Like 1

Medicare, she needs (hang on my minds gone blank)...a conformation of partner visa approval letter/email you will recieve from DIAC. Piece of cake once she has that letter, Medicare know it oh to well.

Your partner can get the Medicare at the Temporary Partner Visa stage or at the Permanent Partner Visa stage?

Your partner can get the Medicare at the Temporary Partner Visa stage or at the Permanent Partner Visa stage?

Temporary.

Edit to add, once your partner has been granted a partner visa, ALL the 'perks' of being Australian kick in straight away. Make's that long wait for approval seem worthwhile!

The sub section known as temporary, far as I know, is used as a time frame by DIAC to re asses how you and your partners relationship (which you receive another email from them, fill out another form but at NO extra cost) has developed over 2 years, and that's about it as I see it until the day comes (at the end of 2 year permanent, or the time spent here adds up to long enough) where she can apply for Australian Citizenship!..this I have no experience with, but can't wait to report back on how I added 1 more to our Aussie population!.biggrin.png

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Thank for the info krisb, I have been through the settling process a few times but I don't think it is as easy as you make it seem.

Medicare is a doddle. You get your blue card, will change to green one when PR is granted.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility-for-medicare-card

Medical Insurance

Does the loading apply to TR or PR residents over 31?

ATO and Banking involves tax

If your wife has no assets, then there is not much to worry about, open an account, she can even do this on a tourist visa (pay 10% witholding tax)! BUT if your wife actually has some money we have a whole different ball game. As a resident for tax purposes she must legally declare all income foreign and domestic. The implications of these are quite deep. Without getting into the details too much, any assets or property held in Thailand are taxable income in Australia. My father-in-law was a hard worker on the roads here in Thailand, and he spent most of his pay packet buying land ahead of them. Passed on some 10 years ago and left it to my wife. If she rocks into Australia with over half a million dollars in her pocket, tax wise where does that put her? Would she be best to leave it here? Exchange it? These are the details I'd like to get some discussion going on, they may affect us all.

edit: Something else that just occurred to me, is the 'baby bonus' I think there is a window of up to 18 months or more for claiming it, some members may have a claim to that as well?

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

If your Partner is on a Temporary Partner Visa, this is what is allowable ...

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) lets you:

• enter Australia and stay here until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa

• work in Australia

• study in Australia, but with no access to government funding

• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses.

If you are later granted a permanent visa, you can:

• stay in Australia indefinitely

• work and study in Australia

• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)

• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

• receive some social security payments

• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need another visa to enter Australia.

• Like 1

Re the Baby Bonus ...

Baby Bonus may be paid to your family following the birth or adoption of a child if:

• your child was born or adopted before 1 March 2014
  • you are eligible for Family Tax Benefit for the child, disregarding the Family Tax Benefit income test, within 26 weeks of the child's birth or after an adopted child enters your care before turning 16 years old, or
  • you are claiming for a child other than your own and you started caring for the child within 26 weeks of the child's birth and are likely to continue caring for the child for at least 26 weeks, and
  • you or your partner are the primary carer of the child, and
  • you meet the Baby Bonus income test, and
  • you meet the residence requirements, and
  • you have not received Parental Leave Pay for the child, and
  • you make your claim no later than 52 weeks after the birth of the child or after the adopted child enters your care

... and here is the bit they don't tell you.

I have been given verbal advice from Centerlink that the baby, for who the Bonus is being claimed for must be in Australia within 6 months of being born.

So, maybe a Partner Visa applied for outside Thailand can take up to 12 months, the suggested 6 month rule does seem to be a farce.

The advice given to me was to apply for the Baby Bonus, it will be rejected and then appeal that decision.

Time will tell ...

Thank for the info krisb, I have been through the settling process a few times but I don't think it is as easy as you make it seem.

Medicare is a doddle. You get your blue card, will change to green one when PR is granted.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility-for-medicare-card

Medical Insurance

If your wife has no assets, then there is not much to worry about, open an account, she can even do this on a tourist visa (pay 10% witholding tax)! BUT if your wife actually has some money we have a whole different ball game. As a resident for tax purposes she must legally declare all income foreign and domestic. The implications of these are quite deep. Without getting into the details too much, any assets or property held in Thailand are taxable income in Australia. My father-in-law was a hard worker on the roads here in Thailand, and he spent most of his pay packet buying land ahead of them. Passed on some 10 years ago and left it to my wife. If she rocks into Australia with over half a million dollars in her pocket, tax wise where does that put her? Would she be best to leave it here? Exchange it? These are the details I'd like to get some discussion going on, they may affect us all.

edit: Something else that just occurred to me, is the 'baby bonus' I think there is a window of up to 18 months or more for claiming it, some members may have a claim to that as well?

Oz

Unless the properties overseas are producing income, why would they need to be declared? If they're producing considerable income,

just leave it in a bank account in Thailand and she can access it when she returns.

If she arrives in Oz $500 000 she will have to declare it on arrival to Customs. What she then does with the money will determine

what will happen tax -wise. She will be taxed the same as any other resident.

Personally, I wouldn't get too caught up on the ATO side of things.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Im with Will on the tax thing. Screw those guys.

What 500k of land? I dont own any land is her answer, but up to you guys on that. Just keep any real Thai income in a Thai bank.

Ozsamui, it's all pretty straight foward once they get here. I've had no problems sorting anything out. Really there's not much anyway, nothing a phone call or 2 cant sort easily. Even finding her a job we got lucky thanks to friends.

Hardest part seriously is getting the visa, all the paperwork...oh and growing krapow in the backyard, tried a few times, no success. All krapow growing tips gladly needed.

Ok so my wife comes to Australia on a partner visa and isn't entitled to any social security for 2 years.is that right.I have 2 kids coming also that are oz citizens so am I able to claim family allowance part a and b for them.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A few long posts I put in here with info etc. just got glitched away.... oh well! I'm glad you think its not a real problem of having assets such as land here but I'm sorry I can't accept the 'she'll be right mate' thought.

Currently the Thai Government is ramping up inheritance tax on undeveloped land, so it forces land owners to develop the land or pay an ever increasing tax on it per year owned. You can check the threads here on TVF. If they wish to avoid essentially losing their land to tax, they must DO something with it, this derives income. Income, assets even here in Thailand (however large or small) is legally to be declared on your tax return. Failing to do this is tax evasion and not likely to win you any friends in the DIAC either.

It is fairly obvious, that the banking interest and conditions are far better and more stable in Australia than Thailand. Anyone with half a brain when given the choice to invest large sums of money in a Thai bank or an Australian one would choose Australia. If the land is sold while your spouse is in Australia, the funds would best 'work for you' in Oz. Why would you bother to leave it in Thailand doing stuff all? If you're English or American I get it, their banks are not much better interest wise than here.

Oz

edit PS: The reason for this inquiry is not that I have some hi-so rich Thai wife and I want to hide money. But it does directly effect your eligibility for Social Security payments if and when they are eligible and necessary. I think the income/assets threshold for couples is as low as 200G, at which point you won't be able to claim any benefits. As I said I have done this all before a couple of times, every time, the goal posts keep moving, and being complacent is a definite concern.

Edited by ozsamurai

A few long posts I put in here with info etc. just got glitched away.... oh well! I'm glad you think its not a real problem of having assets such as land here but I'm sorry I can't accept the 'she'll be right mate' thought.

Currently the Thai Government is ramping up inheritance tax on undeveloped land, so it forces land owners to develop the land or pay an ever increasing tax on it per year owned. You can check the threads here on TVF. If they wish to avoid essentially losing their land to tax, they must DO something with it, this derives income. Income, assets even here in Thailand (however large or small) is legally to be declared on your tax return. Failing to do this is tax evasion and not likely to win you any friends in the DIAC either.

It is fairly obvious, that the banking interest and conditions are far better and more stable in Australia than Thailand. Anyone with half a brain when given the choice to invest large sums of money in a Thai bank or an Australian one would choose Australia. If the land is sold while your spouse is in Australia, the funds would best 'work for you' in Oz. Why would you bother to leave it in Thailand doing stuff all? If you're English or American I get it, their banks are not much better interest wise than here.

Oz

edit PS: The reason for this inquiry is not that I have some hi-so rich Thai wife and I want to hide money. But it does directly effect your eligibility for Social Security payments if and when they are eligible and necessary. I think the income/assets threshold for couples is as low as 200G, at which point you won't be able to claim any benefits. As I said I have done this all before a couple of times, every time, the goal posts keep moving, and being complacent is a definite concern.

Well it all really depends on how much money you're talking about.

Is it substantial or a piddly amount?

With regards to the Iand, I guess you have answered the question yourself. She

can either develop or sell it. You sound like you're intent on declaring any income (most wouldn't),

so if that's the case, why not just sell it and bring the money to Oz and put it in a TD?

What a great position for you both to be in. I'd suggest the majority of spouses arriving

in Australia wouldn't have a great deal of assets.

The reason I suggested leaving it in Thailand was if was rental income, you could use

it for holidays there. I assume your wife will want to return to Thailand sometime.

Again, it depends on how much it is really.

Unless you're talking about vast amounts of money, I'd suggest the chances of getting done

for tax evasion are next to none. It's also nothing to do with DIAC either to be honest.

At the end of the day, you're in a lot better position (financially) than most who bring their partners over

I'd suggest.

My wife arrived in Oz with 3 suitcases of stuff.

I appreciate that, but I was never trying to make myself out to be some millionaire or anything, far from it. But the question came to mind as some, not all of our club lives in Thailand, and most may not work, meaning they have the means (or had them...lol) to sustain themselves. I was bringing the topic up as I mentioned just to run the idea past everyone to see what the plans were in the regard. Let's call this part done then for lack of concrete evidence. On to something else useful.

As you know your spouse is entitles to 550hours of language tuition when they arrive @ AMEP. This however it seems, only really applies if you live in an area where they can provide that class, and if you do not use that 'quota' within 6 months? of arriving it is lost. A lot of free tuition down the drain. MOST of these places are only located in the major cities. For anyone remote from them is just hard luck. The Thai wives sites mention a lot of the wives who already have a command of English using their allotment to study other things, such as aged care, business management etc... whatever they can/want to at a TAFE. Does anyone have any hard and fast examples of how this was achieved?

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok so my wife comes to Australia on a partner visa and isn't entitled to any social security for 2 years.is that right.I have 2 kids coming also that are oz citizens so am I able to claim family allowance part a and b for them.

You can claim family tax benefit A & B for your kids as soon as they arrive in Australia, you can also get it for any kids that your partner has that aren't yours (doesn't matter if they are citizens or not)

The 2 year waiting period for social security doesn't apply to family members of Australian citizens. A partner is considered a family member.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/newly-arrived-residents-waiting-period

Is this from personal experience? as the info uses that magic word MAY be exempt, I love the English language!

The Newly Arrived Resident’s Waiting Period may not affect you if you are:

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

Only personal experience with family tax benefit things.

Was told verbal by centrelink that the two year does apply to a partner visa.

"May" is used in government documentation about general advice becuase it can't cover every circumstances in general advice.

So unless your circumstances are usual then it's pretty safe to say "May" means more then likely.

You can claim family tax benefit A & B for your kids as soon as they arrive in Australia, you can also get it for any kids that your partner has that aren't yours (doesn't matter if they are citizens or not)

The 2 year waiting period for social security doesn't apply to family members of Australian citizens. A partner is considered a family member.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/newly-arrived-residents-waiting-period

I'm sure I remember reading no ss for 2 years.

Edited by krisb

I never really looked into any ss for my wife other than my daughter getting the baby bonus.

No way in the world I was going to bring a girl here from overseas and add her to the already overloaded problems with ss these days. We should be providing for her, and getting them employed asap.

• Like 1

The issue about payments is complex and different payments have different eligibility requirements it's best to ask them directly based on you circumstances as it's a hard area to give general advice on.

Here is a fact sheet that tries to make it clearer

https://www.welfarerights.org.au/sites/default/files/legacy/ef63452d67abf42e272b4b6436f2e35e.doc

Of interest, based on that sheet are the following points:

If you have not lived in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of 104 weeks, you may be subject to a two year newly arrived resident’s waiting period for the following payments and concession cards:

• Newstart Allowance • Austudy

• Sickness Allowance • Pensioner Education Supplement

• Youth Allowance • Mobility Allowance

• Carer Payment • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

• Special Benefit • Health Care Card

¨ Who is exempt from the newly arrived resident's two year waiting period?

The newly arrived resident's waiting period may not apply to you if you:

· are a “family member”* of an Australian citizen or of a permanent resident who has at least two years residence in Australia

*A “family member” may include your partner (opposite sex or same sex) or your dependent child. Other people can be deemed to be your “family member”, at Centrelink’s discretion

• 3 months later...

As you know your spouse is entitles to 550hours of language tuition when they arrive @ AMEP. This however it seems, only really applies if you live in an area where they can provide that class, and if you do not use that 'quota' within 6 months? of arriving it is lost. A lot of free tuition down the drain. MOST of these places are only located in the major cities. For anyone remote from them is just hard luck. The Thai wives sites mention a lot of the wives who already have a command of English using their allotment to study other things, such as aged care, business management etc... whatever they can/want to at a TAFE. Does anyone have any hard and fast examples of how this was achieved?

Just a few corrections Oz; the AMEP program offers up to 510 hours. Your spouse needs to register for AMEP classes within 6 months from the date the visa starts, and start classes within 12 months from that date. They then have 5 years to complete their AMEP classes.

Also, some providers offer distance learning, with the choice of online learning or traditional work books with supplementary materials. Regular contact with a qualified teacher is provided over the phone or on the internet (via Skype) for students undertaking distance learning. When my wife first registered for AMEP (with AMES) we lived a few hours out of Melbourne, so she enrolled in the distance learning course; the teacher was great, but my wife really wanted the interaction with other students, so she did both for a while before stopping the distance learning altogether. Some providers, AMES included also provide the Home Tutor Scheme (HTS), which is an informal programme providing English language assistance through trained volunteers, generally on a one-on-one basis in the home.

Finally, what you read on thai wives sites sounds like the Settlement Language Pathways to Employment and Training (SLPET). The SLPET programme provides AMEP clients with 200 hours of tuition (that includes up to 80 hours of work experience placements) in addition to their AMEP entitlement of up to 510 hours.

The SLPET programme offers eligible clients an employment-focused course to assist them to learn vocation-specific English while gaining familiarity with Australian workplace culture and practices, including work ethics, employment processes, occupational health and safety and taxation requirements. To achieve this, clients participate in workplace visits, simulated work environments and work experience placements in a range of fields such as retail, construction, hospitality, childcare, aged care and office administration.
Edited by jamesbrock

Thanks for the info, it was written a long time ago and from memory. I was just saying to David that I needed to update the info here. I have done more research since.

Let's sort the mess out first

AMEP = Adult Migrant Education Program (part of the DIBP)

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports/annual/2012-13/html/performance/outcome_5/adult_migrant_english_program_administration.htm

AMES = Adult Migrant Education Services (School Name)

RTO = Registered Training Organization

SLPET =Settlement language pathways to employment and training program

(an extra 80 hours to your 510hrs, with workplace emphasis, it's just more hours English tuition)

AMEP is a body and a course

AMES is one the institution that design/deliver the AMEP

AMES with rare exceptions only operate in larger cities

Step 1 is calling AMES to find out if your partner is eligible to receive the 510hrs of tuition. They will tell you directly yes/no

AMEP courses are also offered at other institutions such as TAFE, if that TAFE has an AMEP qualified ESL teacher.

IF you live in the major cities, AMES also offers, like all RTO's certificate courses, however they only MAY BE funded by the government and you would need to apply and be assessed, if not they are the same as any RTO, you pay.

http://www.ames.net.au/ames-course-detail/chc30113-certificate-iii-in-early-childhood-education-and-care/61

The fee is determined by your eligibility for Government funding. Download the Fee Schedule or contact AMES to check your eligibility for a concession fee.

There may be extra charges for learning materials, first aid certificate, police check etc.

At AMES Early Childhood and Aged care are available. Having said this, if you are outside the major cities, and can not attend an AMES facility then it is tough titties! You would apply to any RTO close to you and see if you are eligible for any government concessions. Most of the smaller RTO's do not know about this so unless you walk in with the details (who's paying) in your hand, they are not going to know what you are talking about and you will waste your time.

Basically any RTO is a business, they only care where the money is coming from. If you can prove the government is paying or giving a concession then you could potentially do whatever course you please, wherever you please not just at AMES, they are just the primary provider of the AMEP.

Some certificate courses require a pre-requisite of intermediate level English proficiency, all courses vary so going into it here would be pointless. This is where an approved AMEP course is useful. It is the equivalent of TOEFL, TOEIC and all those ESL quals that you can use in Australia.

To be eligible for govt. funding for courses it would be assessed by Centerlink I would imagine, I have not gone that far yet as it needs to be sorted out on the ground, and will really depend on your personal circumstances. Assets, income visa type blah blah! Will update when I have our situation sorted.

IN NUTSHELL: You are not entitled to anything except 510hrs of ESL training and maybe 80 more if needed (SLPET). Any certificate courses etc.. are out of the realm of AMEP funding. That's why they put the E in AMEP!

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Medical Insurance

Oz

Simply having half a million dollars will not affect your wife's tax position as an Australian resident for tax purposes, but may of course affect her entitlement to welfare benefits. She is taxed on her income, not on the value of her assets.

Capital gains when disposing of assets, as well as interest or dividend income derived from her assets, as well as any other income derived from abroad, will need to be declared to the ATO as taxable income.

If she rocks up with the said half million, she will only be taxed on any income that it generates. For example, if she puts it in a bank, tax on gross interest will be charged at her whatever is her marginal income tax rate. If she puts it into shares, she will pay tax on dividends at her marginal rate, and on any capital gains when she sells the shares. Capital losses are offset against future capital gains, but cannot be refunded. If she puts it into an investment property, she will be pay tax for any rental income, etcetera.

As a resident she is not entitled to the 10% witholding tax flat rate on bank deposits, although the ATO may eventually put her on a Pay as You Go schedule so that she has to pay an assessed amount of tax on large investments at regular intervals, quarterly for example. At the end of the year, she will be able to claim a tax refund on any over paid amount, or she will be charged for any underpaid tax. All the banks declare interest paid to the ATO, so she will need to be totally honest with them.

Australian tax law is a labyrinth, and I'd strongly suggest that she retains the services of a qualified tax accountant.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

Medical Insurance

Oz

Unless the properties overseas are producing income, why would they need to be declared?

It's called welfare fraud. Hiding assets offshore then claiming welfare benefits that would be subject the asset tests is illegal.