1st T-Storm Downpour Happening: How will Raining-season onslaught improve your 2024?

GammaGlobulin

Thank the gods for the rain, this year!

This past hot-season's heat, this 2024, has been one record books.

I know that I feel better, right now, looking outside my picture window at the buckets of rain now pouring down and cascading off my roof.

It's a new day!

Things can only become better.

I plan to do a lot more exercise this raining season.

How will  you, too benefit?

Best regards,

And, now in the rain.....,

Gamma

Note:  I do not even care if the power fails for awhile!.....

Coming down in BUCKETS!

• Thumbs Up 2

The electric power here failed just 2 seconds after I pushed the submit button... 

Tree branches blew against power lines causing them to light up in a small blaze. 

Still fine, and seeing the rain was worth it. 

I just hope the power will be restored before it gets too hot in here, and before the humidity goes through the roof. 

The weather this year has been among the hottest I recall in Chiang Mai. No problem for me, but the rain is a very pleasant change. 

And, all living things require water.... 

Especially, mangoes. 

Dont see anything special about this  year, for the last 3-4 years have had  decent rain, but 5-6 years  ago we had 2-3 years very very  dry, this year is also very dry but not as hot as the dry spell  5-6 years ago when some days went to 42 c, now see 40.4 on about 5  days so far PRANBURI area, definitely less rain this year................so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Good downpour yesterday but  came with  the nasty wind gusts. Nearby a mini tornado took off the roof  of an elderly widows  house.

I hope that she gets the help she needs.

It is tragic when this happens to those who are less resilient due to infirmity or advanced age.

26 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I hope that she gets the help she needs.

It is tragic when this happens to those who are less resilient due to infirmity or advanced age.

A compensatory advantage of having a house that is small and relatively rudimentary is that in the event of what could/would be a disaster for more opulent dwellings is that repairs organized by the Village Headman were complete by mid morning today.

Less fortunate was a person struck by lightening who died in same storm sheltering under a tin roofed canopy on his rice farm.

Life  events unfold randomly for many.

• Agree 2

Y'all want to send some of that down our way.  Took the scooter out yesterday, first time in a while.  That's brutal, and that warm breeze isn't that refreshing.   

Thoughts of adding a side cart, just for the roof, to ride in the shade, since it's usually just the dog & myself, cruising slow, top speed of 60 kph.  Don't want to dry her eyes out.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank them all...

Anytime we get rain that soaks the earth, and which...

Keeps my mango tree producing well.

Wow, you're very lucky. I never met any God so far. 🙏

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

when I watch the local daily news, the main stories at the beginning are those localiies in Thailand that had an overnight/yesterday "Summer Storm" and the flooding and numerous damaged houses.  Lookingaround the world news - weather is the main story even with the fiasco in the Middle East.  It is either drought with dams, rivers, reservoires or lakes dried up totally or historic rain storms causing historic flooding, landslides, many deaths, tornadoes, wind storms, earthquakes, erupting volcanoes to such an extent that it must seem to many that we are at the end of the world that we used to know.

I am glad to be OLD, I can sit back and remember what it used to be, how my generation obviously began the decline and that I can still enjoy life like this.  I feel sorry for those generations that followed  and that follow even further as the world weather situation continues to change for the worse.  At least here, there are certain things that can be done to overcome many of the problems that I can still afford so I have no plans to depart this country that I still love.  I realize it is nowhere near perfect but I also realize that very few countries in the world even come as nice as it is here.  I have lived and worked in many countries in Asia, in Africa, in Europe and central America - during almost all of those years were very enjoyable but I see those countries too are suffering just as my native USA suffers  with no end in sight in

my opinion.  Good luck to all still here, hope things do get better for everyone.  Take care and be safe.

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

So long as we don't get a repeat of 2022!

image.png.8eb8063272a49de1bfbdde1a35434d2d.png

I don't care I live 29 meters above sea level on slightly sloping land. :tongue:

I thought it through before buying the land, and visited it in the rainy season, before buying. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I just hope the power will be restored before it gets too hot in here, and before the humidity goes through the roof. 

Our power normally is only off for an hour, failing that I use my car and an inverter to power up one room 500W enough for floor fans, Tv, internet etc.

Cold shower if need be. .

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I cannot wait for the rains. Not only is the heat worse than usual, but the air is horrendous. The rains will come to our rescue, hopefully. It is a bandaid, but it will be some relief.

As far as I can tell, this year in CM has been the worst, so far.

Yes. the heat is worse than it has ever been here, by about two degrees, consistently.

And, this higher heat exacerbates the dust, this year, which is almost as bad as the worst it has been in the past five years.

There now seems to be little doubt that the temps may climb even higher within the next five years.

Really, the only thing to be done is to insulate the house, more effectively.

Caulk the cracks around the doors and windows.

Use either a good air purifier, or, just make a few cheap ones using fans and HEPA filters.

And then, of course, buy ACs with the highest-possible efficiency ratings (at least over EER of 23).

It will be just the 3-month-long Hot Season that one must deal with, which is also the Smoking Season.

From July through the end of January, the environment will still remain quite livable.

But now, especially this year, I am truly looking forward to rain, and rain at least every day, if this can be managed.

We need a LOT of rain this year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2024 at 3:04 PM, Crossy said:

So long as we don't get a repeat of 2022!

image.png.8eb8063272a49de1bfbdde1a35434d2d.png

Not quite as bad as 2011, when supermarket shelves became empty and DM had to close.

In 2011, heavy rain combined with multiple tropical storms throughout the extended rainy season led to severe, record-high flooding across 66 provinces in Thailand, including the Bangkok metropolitan area and its surrounding areas. Overall, the floods affected more than 13 million people and resulted in more than 680 deaths. The total damage and losses from the 2011 floods in Thailand amounted to THB 1.43 trillion (around USD 46.5 billion). The manufacturing sector bore roughly 70 percent of the total damage and losses due to the flooding of six industrial estates in Ayuthaya and Pathum Thani from mid-October to November 2011. Overall, approximately 90 percent of the damage and losses from the 2011 floods were borne by the private sector.

https://www.preventionweb.net/publication/2011-thailand-floods-rapid-assessment-resilient-recovery-and-reconstruction-planning#:~:text=Overall%2C the floods affected more,(around USD 46.5 billion).

On 4/19/2024 at 2:52 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank the gods for the rain, this year!

This past hot-season's heat, this 2024, has been one record books.

I know that I feel better, right now, looking outside my picture window at the buckets of rain now pouring down and cascading off my roof.

It's a new day!

Things can only become better.

I plan to do a lot more exercise this raining season.

How will  you, too benefit?

Best regards,

And, now in the rain.....,

Gamma

Note:  I do not even care if the power fails for awhile!.....

Coming down in BUCKETS!

What is a T Storm? Is that like a storm in a T cup?

The hot season is not past - it's just started - but not with record temperatures as yet.

Might be a new day but that's all.

On 4/19/2024 at 3:34 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Dont see anything special about this  year, for the last 3-4 years have had  decent rain, but 5-6 years  ago we had 2-3 years very very  dry, this year is also very dry but not as hot as the dry spell  5-6 years ago when some days went to 42 c, now see 40.4 on about 5  days so far PRANBURI area, definitely less rain this year................so far.

Well done. 

On 4/19/2024 at 3:29 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

The electric power here failed just 2 seconds after I pushed the submit button... 

Tree branches blew against power lines causing them to light up in a small blaze. 

Still fine, and seeing the rain was worth it. 

The weather this year has been among the hottest I recall in Chiang Mai. No problem for me, but the rain is a very pleasant change. 

And, all living things require water.... 

Especially, mangoes. 

A pity it wasn't 2 seconds before.

• Thanks 1

Seems that some on this Chiang Mai Forum believe that the Chiang Mai Weather I remarked upon in this Topic also applies to...

PRANBURI District.

This Topic is NOT commenting on Pranburi District, on Pattaya, or on the weather and air temperatures experienced in RANONG.

Weather is LOCAL, friends.

Just like Politics.

I thought that this guy, and others, would have known about this, and that there was no reason for me to add this WARNING to my Original Post, but...

Apparently, this is not the case.

image.png.85918103701067830b64cc670d63aed7.png

Also,....

Please feel free to contact TMD for more authoritative information.

What is TMD?

image.png.e28a29d50b272b09798625f493cdbdcb.png