V.P.N.

superal

I use a V.P.N. ( Surfshark ) most of the time on my laptop . I have noticed that there has been a lot of " no or slow connections " recently . So I did some speed tests and was surprised at the results as follows . FAST Speed test = no VPN 390mbps down , with VPN 20 Mbps down .   OOkLA no VPN = 250 Mbps down ,  with VPN = no connection .

Test my.net  with VPN = 26 down ,  no VPN =55 Mbps down ,     When connected using my VPN I have a UK location address .

Are my speed test results typical , or do other VPN companies give better results ?

16 minutes ago, G_Money said:

I use Tunnel Bear.  Works great.

Are your speed tests good if you are using Tunnel Bear when connected to say the UK  etc ?

1 hour ago, superal said:

I have a UK location address

There has been a recently opened thread regarding bandwidth spreads from the UK. 

Submerged Cables have been cut by Putin if I remember. 

Here's a couple recently opened 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 2

Must say that I am not overly happy with Nord these days. They removed all the servers they had in Geneva. Only Zurich now. The number of servers is important as yo need to have a wide range of IPs for certain services.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

There has been a recently opened thread regarding bandwidth spreads from the UK. 

Submerged Cables have been cut by Putin if I remember. 

Here's a couple recently opened 

Thanks for that but my enquiry to 3BB about outage , they said no problems their end . BTW I am paying a 3BB sub contractor for a V.I.P. service which guarantees 200 Mbps and never below that but often below that . E.G. . last night I could not watch UK TV via Wizz TV . Speed test showed little or no results . All channels not opening but the local Thai LOOX TV ran well . Much to my ladies delight . Then early this morning I was able to watch SKY Sports football with no buffering etc . WTF is going on ?

I have had the 3BB technician come to my house and carry out many speed tests to try and convince me that it is my equipment that is the problem but he could not better my speed test results on any app . Then he produced a 250 Mbps speed test from his I phone . What a jerk . I told him to go in not a polite way . I have been told that many people are ditching their  ISP providers and opting for a decent router ( Archer 600 ) with a sim card and connect to TRUE internet . A friend has just done this in the UK with good results and a substantial saving . Anyone here tried this ?

8 hours ago, superal said:

Are your speed tests good if you are using Tunnel Bear when connected to say the UK  etc ?

Sorry, but I’m not that much of a techie.  I just turn it on and it works.

I originally downloaded the app (I Phone) in the USA but currently use it in Thailand.

IMG_1930.jpeg

Edited by G_Money
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:15 AM, superal said:

Thanks for that but my enquiry to 3BB about outage , they said no problems their end . BTW I am paying a 3BB sub contractor for a V.I.P. service which guarantees 200 Mbps and never below that but often below that . E.G. . last night I could not watch UK TV via Wizz TV . Speed test showed little or no results . All channels not opening but the local Thai LOOX TV ran well . Much to my ladies delight . Then early this morning I was able to watch SKY Sports football with no buffering etc . WTF is going on ?

I have had the 3BB technician come to my house and carry out many speed tests to try and convince me that it is my equipment that is the problem but he could not better my speed test results on any app . Then he produced a 250 Mbps speed test from his I phone . What a jerk . I told him to go in not a polite way . I have been told that many people are ditching their  ISP providers and opting for a decent router ( Archer 600 ) with a sim card and connect to TRUE internet . A friend has just done this in the UK with good results and a substantial saving . Anyone here tried this ?

I was the OP on reporting the 3bb problems. Since when it seems to be running ok,  but can develop a glitch around about 2200 for maybe 2 hours. Or so it seems. But has been ok for most of Eurosport, which you can get ad free on Sophon, and other UK and US sports and movie channels.

3bb were reporting cable damage only a few days ago as reasons for continuous buffering, so they appear to have changed their tune now things have improved.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 8:51 AM, superal said:

I use a V.P.N. ( Surfshark ) most of the time on my laptop . I have noticed that there has been a lot of " no or slow connections " recently . So I did some speed tests and was surprised at the results as follows . FAST Speed test = no VPN 390mbps down , with VPN 20 Mbps down .   OOkLA no VPN = 250 Mbps down ,  with VPN = no connection .

Test my.net  with VPN = 26 down ,  no VPN =55 Mbps down ,     When connected using my VPN I have a UK location address .

Are my speed test results typical , or do other VPN companies give better results ?

I use TunnelBear and have no problems at most times. Sometimes slow at 08 to 08:30, but mostly TunnelBear does not interfere with my UK connections.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 9:35 AM, superal said:

There is an old saying, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Virtually every evening at 5pm I watch the BBC news channel live sat out on the verandah. Probably about 75% of the time there is no problem but the rest of the time it varies from slightly intermittant to unwatchable. Been doing it for some years and what I have noticed is the worst reception is when there is stormy weather in the area. Puzzled me a bit at first until I noticed the satellite details on the screen.

A bit irrelevant to your title, although I have Cyberghost I don't use it when watching the TV app, at the end of the day if something works speed tests and vpn are superflous. If the buffering I see is weather related then not a lot can be done about that.

• Thanks 1

I am by no means an expert on this, but if your connection is being re-routed several times to hide your location then I would expect to see a drop in speed when using a VPN. That has always been the case, from what I've read.

But this article explains some of the current situation.

What caused the damage to SEA-ME-WE 5? | Capacity Media

• Thanks 1

Usually there'll be a regional or global map with the cities with servers available. You can click on a city or select from a list if there is one. It will connect to wherever you select. You can experiment by connecting, running a speed test, then disconnecting and trying elsewhere.

I don't use Proton, but it's how it works with Nord.

I use my Norton  with a US address...    and have NT TOT ( I like to stream music from Pandora )

right now   483.66 Down ( Usually much higher )  / 997.34 Up   ...laptop

with VPN on    46.24 and  59.07  and this is a very low score  usually double that 

43.21 and 53.88 on my cell phone

I find that  6pm to 9pm is usually the worst time for making VOIP calls to the US ..  via cell or hard wired phone thru modem

Google meet with video .....  never have a problem

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:41 PM, bradiston said:

I was the OP on reporting the 3bb problems. Since when it seems to be running ok,  but can develop a glitch around about 2200 for maybe 2 hours. Or so it seems. But has been ok for most of Eurosport, which you can get ad free on Sophon, and other UK and US sports and movie channels.

3bb were reporting cable damage only a few days ago as reasons for continuous buffering, so they appear to have changed their tune now things have improved.

My mystery is why was Wizz TV giving a poor performance but at the same time my other Thai TV box UK programmes were playing well with no problems . Both from the same router and Ethernet cable , using 3BB . Also whilst I did mention the slow speed test when having my VPN on , I only use the VPN on my laptop , not when watching the TV .

I reported the event to WIZZ who said that everything was fine at their end . However the following day WIZZ TV has been working well again . Fingers crossed

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same problem as is being discussed here, but I've noticed over the past few days that even using my Smart DNS Proxy VPN to access BBC iPlayer, I am getting some buffering as well as a poor picture at times?

I am with 3BB and have never had a problem in the past and I wondered if the BBC had cottoned on to Smart DNS?? However Smart DNS does have an additional "app" in which you can select the country you wish to connect to, and when I have used this for the BBC iPlayer, lo and behold, I get a perfect picture!

Of course it could still be a 3BB problem because I have noticed some line work going on around the place??

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same problem as is being discussed here, but I've noticed over the past few days that even using my Smart DNS Proxy VPN to access BBC iPlayer, I am getting some buffering as well as a poor picture at times?

I am with 3BB and have never had a problem in the past and I wondered if the BBC had cottoned on to Smart DNS?? However Smart DNS does have an additional "app" in which you can select the country you wish to connect to, and when I have used this for the BBC iPlayer, lo and behold, I get a perfect picture!

Of course it could still be a 3BB problem because I have noticed some line work going on around the place??

There is, or was, a thread commenting on 3bb and unusable bandwidth. They were blaming it on damaged undersea cables, but since then things have improved, at least for me. There still are intermittent problems, often around 10pm and onwards for a few hours. But generally they seem to have found a way (route?) around it. Watching the snooker can entail trying different channels.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

There is, or was, a thread commenting on 3bb and unusable bandwidth. They were blaming it on damaged undersea cables, but since then things have improved, at least for me. There still are intermittent problems, often around 10pm and onwards for a few hours. But generally they seem to have found a way (route?) around it. Watching the snooker can entail trying different channels.

Same for me , starting at 7 pm onwards . If I wake early , as I did this morning at 02 00 am , I was able to watch the QPRv LEEDS game without buffering . But that is not consistent as the buffering can happen at any time . I am not using my vpn when watching  the TV . Speed tests when using my vpn can result in kbps only .

4 minutes ago, superal said:

Same for me , starting at 7 pm onwards . If I wake early , as I did this morning at 02 00 am , I was able to watch the QPRv LEEDS game without buffering . But that is not consistent as the buffering can happen at any time . I am not using my vpn when watching  the TV . Speed tests when using my vpn can result in kbps only .

Who's your internet provider?

On 4/26/2024 at 11:19 AM, superal said:

My mystery is why was Wizz TV giving a poor performance but at the same time my other Thai TV box UK programmes were playing well with no problems . Both from the same router and Ethernet cable , using 3BB . Also whilst I did mention the slow speed test when having my VPN on , I only use the VPN on my laptop , not when watching the TV .

I reported the event to WIZZ who said that everything was fine at their end . However the following day WIZZ TV has been working well again . Fingers crossed

Many people have reported wizz tv being slow, general consensus is the internet is randomly slow due to the cut cables.

Currently my 3BB is unreliable, but also my DTAC and AIS sims are slower than normal. Plus plus plus my vpn makes it even slower so I've turned it off if required

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many people have reported wizz tv being slow, general consensus is the internet is randomly slow due to the cut cables.

Currently my 3BB is unreliable, but also my DTAC and AIS sims are slower than normal. Plus plus plus my vpn makes it even slower so I've turned it off if required

Same me but I am a bit concerned about online security when I turn it off so sometimes I connect the VPN to Thailand and my speed test is not bad .