Question for US Citizens in regards to there elderly parents and medicaid

First I want to note this regards US citizens living in thailand who still have elderly parents in the USA. First my situation is this I work and live in in thailand however my elderly mom still lives in the USA, she is on medicaid and due to certain circumstances I had to step up to be her POA and handle all her affairs. although I did assign another person as the POA she is not always available due to this I have to go back to the USA every year to deal with the medicaid application process for renewal. I just wanted to know from any of you

1. What has been your experience dealing with medicaid applications and medicaid renewals

2. Whats the longest time you had to be in the USA to deal with this before you could come back to thailand

3. If your the sole person responsible for your parents how did you manage your time to be here and in the USA, did you split your time evenly. How often did you have to go back to the USA yearly

4. Who do you turn to when other family members or relatives will not get involved.

Any advice, suggestions on this matter are highly appreciated.

Are you talking about Medicare or Medicaid? Medicare is the medical insurance program for most (nearly all) U.S. citizens over age 65 while Medicaid is a state-by-state program of medical assistance for indigent people of all ages.

Where does your Mom live --what state and what programs is she currently enrolled in? There's a big difference between merely continuing from one year to the next vs. starting up new services.

I suspect when you return, you're going to find there are other issues you're going to have to investigate -- like is your Mom's living arrangement suitable? Is she taking her medications appropriately? Eating properly? Is housekeeping and grooming up to snuff? Also, are her financial affairs in order. It's hard to switch roles from being the son, receiving care from Mom to being the caregiver taking care of Mom.

• 4 weeks later...