why donnt people move at green lights

opalred

I think you are crediting 'non-foreigners' with an ability to make a reasoned judgement where one does not exist.

Would that include me too? Just wondering.

Ooooh! I am not sure about that because:-

1. I don't know if you are a non-foreigner, and

2. I don't know if you are someone who pro-actively weighs up all the risks before setting off from a set of traffic lights - and then applies a logical solution when moving off.

But I thought you knew enough to characterise nearly 70 million people in one go. Drive here much by any chance? Me, only 20 years.

You don't seem to have learned much in 20 years.

I knew it all after only 5 years smile.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are crediting 'non-foreigners' with an ability to make a reasoned judgement where one does not exist.

Would that include me too? Just wondering.

Ooooh! I am not sure about that because:-

1. I don't know if you are a non-foreigner, and

2. I don't know if you are someone who pro-actively weighs up all the risks before setting off from a set of traffic lights - and then applies a logical solution when moving off.

But I thought you knew enough to characterise nearly 70 million people in one go. Drive here much by any chance? Me, only 20 years.

You don't seem to have learned much in 20 years.

I knew it all after only 5 years smile.png

Clearly.

• Like 1

Setting off when the light is green would be considered following the rules........do I need to say any more??

The "rules" are, when green, proceed if the way is clear and with caution. Jack rabbit starts, without due caution, are an invitation to a collision.

I've followed that "rule" driving in Thailand, Malayasia, the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama and all over western Europe. So far, so good. No more from me.

• Like 1

I can remember some 20 years ago in BKK at the lights when all the bikes eased to the front and took off. Nobody else could see as they were mostly 2 strokes and the air was literally blue but nobody used Castrol R so no good smells.

A few years later the authorities banned all 2 strokes from BKK out to the provinces.

Why don't they move?

An easy question to answer. You really shouldn't move unless the intersection is clear and you can get through it without having to stop within it and potentially block crossing traffic when it turns, which just adds to the problem. 'The same everywhere. If that's a frequent problem for you, then find another route.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps they have more important things to think about.

Probably - and as they invariably can only think of one thing at a time that excludes getting ready to move forward when lights change to green. Even when there is a numerical countdown they still fail to react to the change to green.

Accelerate away from the lights?.......................... I don't think so!

Actually the locals are smarter than you,and drive to local conditions.As you are so clever you will work it out,eventually,if you live long enough.

• Like 1

The answer is quite simple if you have ever taken a Thai driving test.

One of the multi answer question is what do you do if the lights just change to red as you approach same there are 3 answers I cant remember one but the other two are 1 Stop at once. Or 2 Put your foot down.

The answer believe it or not is put your foot down evidently it's to save you being rear ended there now you Know.

Edited by fredob43

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that some people are just too stupid to be driving, which has to be a contributing factor.

This morning, approaching a T junction, there was a woman on a m'bike stopped in the middle of the T junction talking on the phone with her m'bike switched off. Not only that, but we had to stop just before running her over before she would start the bike and move out of the way. Then she gave us a dirty look as though we were in the wrong for disturbing her conversation. I've seen some really dumb things on Thai roads, but this was just stupid.