why donnt people move at green lights

opalred

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually got fined for going through a green light in Ubon!

I was in my car with the wife, waiting at a set of red lights to turn green. As soon as they turned green, I set off down the road (ahead of the car in the first lane) at normal speed, then pulled in to the first lane. 500 yard down the road, I got fined 200 Baht by the police for overtaking the car in the first lane at the traffic lights (from what I can gather from the wife).

Just to add, on the same road a few miles down the road, I had a traffic cop stop me, and try to fine me for driving in the 2nd lane. I had to point out to him, that I was actually driving in the 2nd lane so that I could avoid hitting him while he was stood in the middle of the road talking to a driver.

• Like 2

Just to add, on the same road a few miles down the road, I had a traffic cop stop me, and try to fine me for driving in the 2nd lane. I had to point out to him, that I was actually driving in the 2nd lane so that I could avoid hitting him while he was stood in the middle of the road talking to a driver.

I had something similar happen to me.

I asked him if he expected me to jump over slow moving trucks, he starred at me for a few seconds then without saying a word waived with his hand that I should move on.

• Like 1

I always thought it was because you have to wait for all the motorbikes to restart their engines after they've finished picking their spots in the mirror. Then you've got more bikes squeezing through the traffic to get to the front, so by the time you start moving, the lights change back to red. mad.gif

post-62796-0-69618900-1409412017_thumb.j

• Like 2

e

It is fear of the folk who get caught on a red and and think "fugg it, I ain't stopping" and jump the light.........sad.png

That may be true when lights change to green, but what gets me is how slowly they take off when it's safe to. It's almost as if they take their foot off the brake, but forget to put any pressure on the accelerator sad.pngw00t.gifbah.gif

They think it saves them gasoline by moving that way.

Usually they are just waiting for all the red light runners to go thru first, has happened to me many times, especially small motorcycles that come blasting thru the intersection. Also on the other hand, I've seen many on motorcycles go before the light turns green. Amazing Thailand again and again.

post-211626-0-14754900-1409436101_thumb.

post-211626-0-14910400-1409436132_thumb.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't get it neither.

When I am lucky to be #1 at a red and I speed off on green the car waiting next to me at the red will take 3kms before speeding me at 100kms/h+. I guess they are trying to save petrol, same as waiting for total darkness before opening their lights?

But then they switch on their mist lights also, no idea why.

Some newer cars also have red mist lights at the back, a strain to the eyes, but drivers have no clue....

• Like 1

Converse to the actual topic, don't be in too much of a hurry to stop at a red light if it's just turned red. I've often had to sail on through because if I didn't I'd be wearing a bus or a concrete truck or a few scooters up my jacksie.

Once saw a Russian and his long legged blonde girlfriend (ok, off topic, but damn she had long legs!!) on a scooter do a semi emergency stop at a red light on Sukhumvit at the Boonkanjana intersection. They were in the second lane - luckily the dozen bikes and several cars and busses that sailed past them were in the other lanes. facepalm.gif

e

It is fear of the folk who get caught on a red and and think "fugg it, I ain't stopping" and jump the light.........sad.png

That may be true when lights change to green, but what gets me is how slowly they take off when it's safe to. It's almost as if they take their foot off the brake, but forget to put any pressure on the accelerator sad.pngw00t.gifbah.gif

But quite a lot when driving an auto have one foot on the brake and one foot on the acceleratorw00t.gifcoffee1.gif

There is a German joke:

a man sitting in a taxi asks the driver:

Hey, that's crazy. When there is the green light you stop, when there is the red light you go on. Why?

Answer: when I have green light a colleague could come in from the right side.

This makes you understanding OP's question.

But apart from joking I cannot confirm his observation in Chiang Mai. OP, acquire a positive attitude, control yourself and your impatientness. Here you are in Asia.

You're forgetting about all the people who run the reds. Nobody wants to be t-boned.

Funny you should mention that as a couple of years ago I was at a set of lights at Nakhon Sawan on my motorbike. They went green in my favour and nothing else was moving on their red lights.

I rode off and was hit by a pickup from my left side running a red. I had no chance at all and fortunately I had dropped my mate off 10 minutes before. If not he would have lost his left leg. As for me I was thrown off and got a bit bent, scraped and bruised and the bike was sort of rideable.

It was a clear sunny afternoon around 2 pm and it happened just outside a police box and the policeman saw it happen and the pickup was stopped.

We went to a police station where we discussed compensation with the driver and relatives.

The driver of the pickup was (truly) a little old lady of about 80 with her older sister and grandson in the pickup with her.