Where to buy a decent microphone ?

Rigo29

Hi there :)

Does anyone know where I could buy a decent mic. You know the kind of mic that doesn't have any background noise and hiss.

I've been to JunkCeylon but they are only selling chinese stuff. Not expensive but recording quality is poor as f...

Anyway any good shop to find what I'm looking for in Patong (or anywhere else on the island really) ?

Thanks guys !

Online: http://www.m-musicthai.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=196_223_335

AKG mics are good, so are Sennheiser and Shure. Not cheap, but good. It depends on what you are recording as to what type of microphone you need.

You will actually have to call them to order and transfer funds to their account to complete the transaction. I ordered a guitar from them and it arrived just a couple of days after I ordered by EMS mail. You may have to have a Thai friend help you if you can't speak Thai though.

I don't want to order online to be honest.

I'd like to find a shop where I can go, see the merchandise and talk to people (in english).

Surely there's a place in Phuket for that kind of stuff, right ?

Thanks for your help anyway ;)

I don't want to order online to be honest.

I'd like to find a shop where I can go, see the merchandise and talk to people (in english).

Surely there's a place in Phuket for that kind of stuff, right ?

Thanks for your help anyway wink.png

"Surely there's a place in Phuket for that kind of stuff, right ?"

Not to Singing in the Rain on your parade, but probably not. Lazada is your best choice.

Big C downstairs..

If the OP cannot find what he wants in Jungceylon then unlikely to find in BigC basement (on the bypass). Hate to say it but BananaIT carries the better quality accessories and the Jungceylon shop is better stocked than BigC (and better staffed).

• Like 1

Shure SM58 for live vocals (virtually indestructable), SM57 for studio stuff (POTUS mic), both of them go for about 3500 Baht.

If these are too expensive, use the mic on your phone. If these are too cheap, you don't need advice from us.

Edited by modafinil
  • Like 1

Does the OP want a real quality microphone or some crap microphone to use with his computer? If he wants a good microphone, he will need a USB microphone pre amp to interface a decent mic as they have XLR connectors and will need 48 volt phantom power if it is a condenser microphone. I use an interface that is called Audiobox USB made by PreSonus. I don't know what device he's trying to record to or what kind of quality he's trying to achieve. Music is one thing, voice is another and is yet another is environmental recording. They require all different microphones as do many different musical instruments.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

Shure SM58 for live vocals (virtually indestructable), SM57 for studio stuff (POTUS mic), both of them go for about 3500 Baht.

If these are too expensive, use the mic on your phone. If these are too cheap, you don't need advice from us.

I have actually worked for The White House Communications Office (WHCO) and POTUS. I asked them why they still use SM 57s? The officer in charge said: "because they're bullet proof!"

Seriously...a music store. If you want that kind of quality, you will need something a bit expensive. Most computer microphones are crap. Unidirectional might be a better choice than omnidirectional. Specs are on the side of the box.

What would I know? 40 years in the business, how much does the OP want to spend? There is a decent microphone by AKG on the web site I mentioned for 16,000 baht, mulit-pattern, but as I said it depends on what you are trying to record. There are dynamic, condenser and ribbon microphones. I like http://www.schoeps.de/en/home for many applications. We used them with Pavarotti when he was still around. I still get to use them on occasion, but a wee bit expensive. Never seen one in Thailand.

Edited by Jimi007

Rigo29,

First consider the application, that is, what do you want to use the mic for.

Podcast, recording instruments, voice? It is very important to match a

mic to its primary intended use.

General purpose, as mentioned the Shure SM57 and SM58 are the standard

for vocal (58) General purpose (57) You can not simply plugin a LowZ, balanced

XLR into your computer. You will need an interface.

As mentioned, yes, those two grey or sometimes gold plated

podium mics attached the the Prez. are Shure SM 57's.

USB mics have come a long way but remain inferior to higher end

dynamic or mics. Today there are a few very good USB mics, I believe

Apogee and Blue are two.

Check this site: www.proplugin.com They deliver but not COD.

Have bought form them for years. No problems.

Ask them about your application and the mics they may recommend.

• Like 1

Hi guys !

Thanks for all your replies.

I need the mic for Youtube videos voice overs.

I don't mind spending a couple of thousands on that. All I need is a voice that sounds good on my vids.

So far I've been using a shitty mic found in Junk Ceylon. Even with editing on Audition, the result is absolutly lousy biggrin.png

I'll have a look at those SM 57-58 you're talking about. Those at 3500 THB.

Thanks again for your help wink.png

Edited by Rigo29

By the way: do I need anything else besides the mic & interface ?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie regarding recordings biggrin.png

The audio interface is probably going to be at least another 3,500 or maybe more. You'll also need a microphone cable, unless it comes with one.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

There's another way.

Get yourself a digital recorder.
The Tascam DR40 is a good one.
Then record on it, and it will convert your recording to either a WAV or MP3 file, depending on how you set it up.
No need for the expensive interface OR expensive mic and cable (the cables you buy here are pretty crappy anyway)

I see movie audio people using this method sometimes for voiceovers.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Samsung S5 for b17190unsure.png , maybe a Chinese knockoff, still asking b23800 in the shops.

If it is for sale at Lazada for that price, I would trust the one at Lazada to be the real deal. No matter that the shops are asking more. For specialized products a shop will quite often ask/need a higher margin than other products or shops with a higher turnover will require.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Samsung S5 for b17190 alt=unsure.png> , maybe a Chinese knockoff, still asking b23800 in the shops.

If it is for sale at Lazada for that price, I would trust the one at Lazada to be the real deal. No matter that the shops are asking more. For specialized products a shop will quite often ask/need a higher margin than other products or shops with a higher turnover will require.

Is everything on Lazada new or do they sell 2nd hand goods as well?

There's another way.

Get yourself a digital recorder.

The Tascam DR40 is a good one.

Then record on it, and it will convert your recording to either a WAV or MP3 file, depending on how you set it up.

No need for the expensive interface OR expensive mic and cable (the cables you buy here are pretty crappy anyway)

I see movie audio people using this method sometimes for voiceovers.

Thanks man ! Sounds great indeed.

Where can I get on of those Tascam DR40 ? I mean in Phuket.

Just checked a review on youtube. Sound is just perfect indeed.

Edited by Rigo29