Most Thais want temples to declare assets: survey

Lite Beer

I would think that there has been a fair amount of bank account shuffling and document shredding by those (not all) in saffron robes since the results of this survey have been released, or are these people exempt for the corruption crackdown for some reason wai.gif

That would be like asking all Police, Politicians, Government office holders, and other "trusted" VIPs to declare assets. Yes people may want it, but it will NEVER happen. The monks would be in trouble and so would the people who protect them in that part of the business. It would tarnish the religion and the country.......so don't count on it happening.

As a former Buddhist and a former monk in Thailand I agree. There are widespread abuses and corruption in temples, including the so called forest temples. In my local wat for instance they recently purchased a brand new 4WD car for the abbot to drive around in. Of course the abbot needed it to get around to meetings etc and of course he couldn't drive himself so he needs a driver which is another expense. The car cost 1,500,000B. Just across the road there are poor people who live in shacks and doing it tough.

It is also extremely common for monies to be skimmed off donations by the lay management committee people and probably monks.

I therefore urge people not to give to monks or temples at all. Monks don't need money anyway.

Bankei

Recently went to a temple out in the sticks , it was an official merit making day ( I don't know which one )

I was there waiting on the wife for about 90 mins. In that time there were thousands and thousands of baht given for candles , incense sticks , candles etc.

On the way to the main part of the temple there were beggars on either side of the walk way.

I was hearing shouts of you you ( my pet hate ) and people pointing to the beggars expecting me to be putting money in to their bowls , which I ignored.

My question is , this must have gone on all over the country , and it is not just one day , it can go on for weeks , so where does all the money go ?

I thought they would at least help the poor and needy , then they would not have to beg.

There must be millions in some of these bank accounts somewhere.

Which area of Thailand was this in?

One of the temples with forest monks where I live only (near Mae Wong in Khampaeng Phet) completed the crematorium this year after at least 7 years waiting for the money.

• Like 1

The amount of money donated each week to our local temple is staggering. The temple itself has to lay claim to the ugliest temple in Thailand as every time the abbot gets his hands on more money he spends it on more hideous statues.

Last year I donated a sizeable sum to help complete the local school's kindergarten classroom - it is still not finished. The villagers will all give generously to the temple but not to the school. I have tried to advise them that their children's future is more important than the afterlife - what an utter waste of time and effort that was.

• Like 2

in this day and age of jet setting monks owning their own private helicopters, having a fleet of cars as well as huge residences and land holdings it might be a good idea. For people that are supposed to avoid these "monetary" holdings and lead simple lives some certainly have avoided being what they are meant to be, this would really lift the lid on graft and corruption inside the monks and their private lives.

More like opening a can of worms.. sad.png

About time a few more cans of worms were open instead of people being blinkered and looking the other way. Or don't you want to know the truth