Thaksin's Letter To George W Bush Exposed

george

I think that someone may have missed a few points in Thailand ...

1) the PAD announced NO LARGE Gatherings for awhile ....

2) The drecrees are written by Gov't and signed by HM

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is a copy of one of the letters submitted by the Peoples alliance for Democracy to the various embassies in Bangkok.

PAD's open letter to foreign embassies

Published on Jul 14, 2006

The People's Alliance for Democracy on Friday submits an open letter to foreign embassies in its attempt to explain real political situation in the country.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)

Bangkok,

Kingdom of Thailand

14 July 2006

To

The Prime Minister of the People's Republic of China

The President of the French Republic

The Prime Minister of the State of Japan

The President of the Russian Federation

The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

First of all, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) wishes to apologize for sending this open letter to you, after the Kingdom of Thailand's caretaker prime minister, Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra, traveled to several countries to explain the political situation in Thailand and there is evidence that he sent letters to some countries making misleading and derogatory allegations against the People's Alliance for Democracy. PAD is an alliance of people's organizations from all walks of life that has been calling for Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra's resignation as prime minister since last February.

The People's Alliance for Democracy is worried that in the course of his visits to various countries Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra may have made the same distortions and provided incorrect information to the leaders of those countries. If that was the case with you, we apologize once again, in the name of all Thai people, as the caretaker prime minister has shown that he does not know diplomatic usage, by explaining the domestic situation of Thailand to leaders of friendly countries without a specific request and outside of normal channels.

Above all, we must apologize for Thailand's caretaker prime minister making false statements for many times, as this is a most serious breach of manners between friendly countries. Furthermore, his statement also reflected his complete lack of understanding in the democratic process.

We wish to point out to you that the basic reason for our demonstrations demanding Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra's resignation as prime minister is that we are determined to uphold the democratic system of our country with His Majesty the King as Head of State.

In the past five years that Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra, as leader of the majority in the House of Representatives, has been in power, cases of corruption have multiplied, independent auditing mechanisms have been subverted and almost all members of both Houses of Parliament have been prevented from doing their duty, to the point that now the authentic spirit and substance of Thailand's democratic system with His Majesty the King as Head of State has been almost entirely destroyed through the handiwork of a tyrant born out of elections.

Freedom of information and freedom of political expression are basic to the democratic system, but Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra, as prime minister, has been using his political power to suppress and circumvent such freedoms to a large extent in order to comfort his own power, as a great number of concrete examples show. These cases have been exposed in people's gatherings held in a peaceful, unarmed and nonviolent manner, which is a basic right of the people here as in other countries, to force Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra to resign from the position of prime minister.

Pol Lt-Col Thaksin Shinawatra may have tried to tell you that he is the one who is endeavoring to uphold democracy by stressing that if he came back to exercise power again as caretaker prime minister it was to make sure that there would be a new round of elections - as if he were the only guardian and symbol of the democratic system in the country.

What Thai people, who believe strongly in the democratic model with His Majesty the King as Head of State, want to see is an efficient system of checks and balances, respect of the rights and freedoms of citizens, who are the collective holders of sovereignty, and, above all, equal and fair rules and regulations in the administration of the country, without recourse to unfair power to distort electoral mechanisms and to force civil servants to interfere in the electoral process and in the legislative system in favor of any one group, as had been the case for far too long.

We also believe in the freedom of speech through free press and media because democracy can not live up to its virtue with out such requirement.

The People's Alliance for Democracy thus takes this opportunity to set the record straight and hopes that this will contribute to the firm, durable and lasting friendship between our two peoples.

Respectfully yours,

The People's Alliance for Democracy

Lt Gen Jamlong Srimueang

Mr Sondhi Limthongkul

Mr Phiphop Thongchai

Mr Somsak Kosaisuk

Mr Somkiat Phongphaiboon

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...d=2&id=30008698

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)

Bangkok,

The Prime Minister of the People's Republic of China

We also believe in the freedom of speech through free press and media because democracy can not live up to its virtue with out such requirement.

At least they got their area of representation correct.. Bangkok ... LOL

and the PRC has been a one party system since 1949 which subverts the press and free speech. I'm betting they are rolling on the floor over that letter.

Seriously, what negative impact to Thailand do the PM's letter have?

None. Although scrutinized to the point of absurdity there does not appear to be any negative effects.

well, according to my wife, Thais feel about this letter as sort of huge "face loss" in international comunity; that Thai problems shouldn't be brought up outside country, but resolved within. sort of Thaksin has betrayed their trust etc.

and face issue is serious matter for Thais, as has been discussed in plenty on this Forum.

it is interesting that so many Thais ponder over it too much, even academicians - especially if it is realy merely a fraud or scam, as I I am inclined to believe after reading many posts in this thread. here is for example one interpretation of this letter by "political scientist from Thammasat University" : PM's note 'hints at violence'

Surachai Sirikrai, a political scientist from Thammasat University, said the significance of the letter was to warn other countries about the possibility of violence and that they should not think negatively of the premier.

Surachai said he thought Thaksin wanted to send a message that he has been put under pressure without having done anything wrong.

"Thaksin wanted to tell them [the international community] that if he uses violence to protect the country's interest, they shouldn't be scared," he said.

well, according to my wife, Thais feel about this letter as sort of huge "face loss"

That's not what I get from my wife. She hates Thaksin and sits and reads Thai forums next to me every day. She thinks that a lot of groups are just grasping at anything to cause problems inside Thailand for their own political or personal gain and I tend to agree with her.

That might be true - Thaksin didn't lose too many people over his letter, but he didn't get any support either. If he wants "reconciliation" and "national unity" he should be trying to woo his detractors back, not provoke them.

The end result is that the country is even more divided. Thaksin just added international loss of face to the hot pot of accusations against him. I can't see what possible advantage he achieved by making this letter public, Lukamar.

Not many people went with PAD to deliver the letters. Maybe it is because the large rally at Sanam Luang was officially cancelled.

That might be true - Thaksin didn't lose too many people over his letter, but he didn't get any support either. If he wants "reconciliation" and "national unity" he should be trying to woo his detractors back, not provoke them.

The end result is that the country is even more divided. Thaksin just added international loss of face to the hot pot of accusations against him. I can't see what possible advantage he achieved by making this letter public, Lukamar.

Not many people went with PAD to deliver the letters. Maybe it is because the large rally at Sanam Luang was officially cancelled.

The bottom line is that Thailand is still a democracy and in 3 to 6 months we will have a national election. Despite all the "hemming and hawing" there is still no formidable opposition to the TRT. It is ironic that the while the PM's opposition are yelling for democracy, it will ultimately be democratic elections that will defeat them.

The Democrat Party alleges PM Thaksin uses his letters to several foreign leaders to save his own political future

The Democrat Party has accused Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of using his letters to leaders of several countries for his future political survival.

Democrat Spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) said Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin may want support from those countries in his struggle against a “charismatic” figure he had mentioned earlier.

Mr. Ong-art said the prime minister may also want to use the letters to make way for some more help in the future from those leaders.

He said the Democrats will today distribute 500,000 copies of its special document informing the public of all its campaigns after the House dissolution.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 July 2006

This letter will benefit Toxin to the degree that the opposition's objections are seen by voters to be meaningless squabbling. The opposition should be trying to make some substantial claim concerning the letter or just drop it....seems to me that they just keep on trying to make some advantage of it by casting about for some toehold...I wonder if Thai voters see it that way too....maybe not.

Educated Thais see the letter at best as embarrassing, not only distorting the truth but also the need to wash Thailand's dirty linen in public.

At worst it could be the prelude before a clampdown,' George as you know from my letter there's been a lot of anti democratic activity based on causing chaos so I've had to take firm action'.

The trouble is George didn't seem to see it that way.

Educated Thais see the letter at best as embarrassing, not only distorting the truth but also the need to wash Thailand's dirty linen in public.

At worst it could be the prelude before a clampdown,' George as you know from my letter there's been a lot of anti democratic activity based on causing chaos so I've had to take firm action'.

The trouble is George didn't seem to see it that way.

Like I said in an earlier posting, no harm, no foul. I strongly believe there won't be a clampdown because the TRT does not need a clampdown. What they need is an election, hence, their pushing forward on the October 15th date (subject to Royal endorsement).

What many feel would be in the TRT's best interest would be to put pressure on the EC Commissioners to resign, as they will only cast doubt on the election results. I believe once the issue of party dissolutions is behind us and the election date is firm (i.e. cannot be delayed), then the EC Commissioners will resign.

In a different perspective, if I was the head of state and recipient of a “Dear George” letter from Thaksin, my personal feeling /response would be he just took several steps down the ladder of respect. Every country that has an embassy of consulate in Thailand knows exactly what is going on. To be handed a list of self serving lies from the head of state would tend to tarnish my view of not only the PM but his government. My next step would be to look at how the PM got in office. Certainly out of courtesy I would respond to the letter in a neutral way.

From the front page of today’s Bangkok post the thought that the letter is a prelude to violence it a bit of a stretch, I think it shows more an illusion that what he says is right always and everyone should believe him and ignore others.

This letter will benefit Toxin to the degree that the opposition's objections are seen by voters to be meaningless squabbling.

Thais I know see the letter as an embarassment to their country, and it was not the Opposition who brought the subject up, it was a "caretaker" senator.

Pity we don't have nationwide polls on what people think about the matter, though TRT might have run their own polls, and as they didn't publisize the results, they might have been negative.

So here we are, guessing what Thais think. Chownah says one thing, Siripon another.

My next step would be to look at how the PM got in office.

In case you missed it, he got in office through an election.

You miss the point my friend... Underlying question “Are they all like him?” A few countries citizens actually act the same as their leaders. You know the type, If you piss them off, they blow up in your face. That leads to the next question, ”Should we keep sending them money or support?”

Edited by john Krukowski

does anyone else feel sick after hearing the word "democracy"?

wow! what a great point ! I do feel so too ! :o so many people misuse this word and abuse whatever is / supposed to be under its banner.

It is ironic that the while the PM's opposition are yelling for democracy, it will ultimately be democratic elections that will defeat them.

that's another very good point! I'd realy like to see some sound and healthy opposition rather than this bunch of loosers !

I'm realy looking forward towards the possibility of dissulution of TRT, PAD and those other parties (5 were mentioned by media) which EC said would / could be dissolved after the coming soon trial.

what will happne than ? if there is no TRT or their rivals - WHO / which party will come up to be strong enough to win the elections? or won't be ANY elections in that case?

The following is from today's online version of The Nation - Editorial Opinion - 18 July 2006:

A 'Dear Thaksin' letter the govt doesn't want you to see

Very few people know that besides the short official response US President George W Bush wrote to caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on July 3, the US leader also sent him a more personal note which was never made public but a copy of which was leaked to me.

But you can be sure that both Government House and the White House will deny the existence of this "Dear Thaksin" letter.

Dear Thaksin;

Thank for your letter and for enlightening me on the current political situation in your country. It was a pleasant surprise given that I have hardly received any personal messages from Thai leaders in years. Your expression of "high personal regard" for my leadership was much appreciated in the face of the brickbats that my administration and I have been receiving from all other parts of the world.

I have two reasons to be grateful for the contents of your letter. Firstly, it has restored my confidence in the influence that the United States wields over Thailand. Your predecessors obviously showed nothing but ignorance when it came to the deference that your country owes a great power like the United States. They never cared to confide in American presidents and seek their blessings the way Thai leaders in the past did. Thanks to your great leadership and political farsightedness, you have now re-established that tradition. And secondly, it brings to my attention the sloppy work our diplomatic mission in Bangkok has been doing.

I was particularly struck by what you described as "a threat to democracy in Thailand" from your "opponents" through "extra-Constitutional tactics". I have to confess that I had been hoodwinked all along by our embassy in Bangkok and the American media. Contrary to what you explained in your letter, they tried to distort the political crisis you are facing as the pro-democracy middle class rightfully challenging the legitimacy of your political leadership. You have to forgive me for mistaking those peaceful street demonstrations as a sign that Thai democracy was maturing. Even worse, I was so ignorant - again, blame it on our mission in Bangkok and the media - that I thought key democratic institutions in Thailand had been undermined single-handedly by you. Your letter makes it all clear to me that you have been a victim of a political conspiracy.

I have to admit that for a while I really fell for the analyses that claimed many Thais felt you were unfit to rule because of rampant corruption and conflicts of interest in your administration. I almost wrote you off as a lame-duck prime minister rejected by all major institutions in your country. Our diplomats even described you as a "beleaguered prime minister" and for some time I also referred to you in this manner.

Your explanation about the April-2 election was very enlightening for me. I had been fooled by our Bangkok mission and the media into believing that the election was extremely dirty - even by Thai standards - and designed in such a way that a victory for your Thai Rak Thai Party was a foregone conclusion even before the first ballot was cast. I was also duped into buying charges that your party got a helping hand from the Election Commission. Your letter made it all too clear to me that your party swept the election entirely because of your popularity. You didn't spend a single baht to buy votes. You didn't coerce local officials to support your candidates. And you didn't call the snap election because you wanted to escape scrutiny over your family's business deal with Temasek of Singapore as charged by your opponents - and, again, as reported by our mission in Bangkok.

You know as well as I do what sore losers are capable of doing or saying. I had my own lesson in the 2000 presidential election. I am totally convinced that I won the election on the basis of my strong leadership - not because my brother who happened to be the governor in Florida had a hand in the contentious vote counting that turned out to be in my favour. Needless to say, my sympathy lies with you.

I am particularly glad that you mentioned "our on-going war on terror" which I suppose you know perfectly well is the cornerstone of my policy. You sure know my soft spot. I congratulate you for your tough approach in cracking down on the terrorists in southern Thailand. But as a friend, I cannot hide my disappointment at the low body count. There is definitely something you can learn from the American adventure in Iraq. We bomb, we kill and we destroy. Military force is the only language that terrorists or separatists - or whoever they are - understand. And you know that you can always count on "Uncle Sam" if you really want to stamp out terrorism in your country.

My friend Thaksin, by confiding in me, you not only reinforce my confidence in your loyalty to my administration but also give me much-needed proof that I made the right decision in granting Thailand the status of a major non-NATO ally in 2003. I hope your June 23 letter will not be the last. And I can assure you that our correspondence will be kept strictly confidential as it would do more harm than good (to you, my friend) if it were made public.

Finally, I want to assure you that heads will roll at our diplomatic mission in Bangkok. I don't tolerate diplomats who think they are smarter than their host. And you can be sure that I will use all the power I have to get all those dumb American media correspondents in Bangkok who have been feeding me with misinformation replaced. I hate journalists who ask stupid questions and pen reports that are not constructive as much as you do.

By the way, even though my hotline is open 24 hours, please don't call unless it's a real emergency - like needing an airlift in the middle of the night. You can be sure that we never abandon friends in time of troubles. Field Marshal Thanom and family members of late President Marcos can testify to that.

Sincerely,

George

It would appear that Dear Leader Chairman Thaksin is planning the ULTIMATE CRACKDOWN ? :o

The letter was reassuring his 'friend' G W Bush that all will be OK ?

Letter 'portent' of govt crackdown

Message to Bush seen as implicit warning

PRADIT RUANGDIT Bangkok Post 17-7-06

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra may have written to US President George W. Bush in an attempt to justify the suppression of his political opponents, experts in security and political science said yesterday.

They agreed that it must first be established what was meant by the "threat to democracy" mentioned in the July 23 letter to Mr Bush.

The experts made their views known at a discussion entitled "Letter to Bush: What Did Thaksin Do Wrong?" organised by the Press Council of Thailand.

Political scientist Surachai Sirikrai of Thammasat University said the letters to Mr Bush and a number of other leaders were not as innocent as they have been made to look.

He said Mr Thaksin may have been testing the water, aiming to judge from the replies how other leaders reacted to the news he conveyed to them about the state of internal politics.

The caretaker prime minister could have conceived a plan to suppress political dissent. The letter may have impressed upon the recipients a grave picture of the political situation, providing the government with grounds for suppressing its opponents should it become necessary.

Historically, Mr Surachai said, it was common for national leaders to write to their counterparts, as though to give them advance warning, before proceeding with drastic action.

"The letter may be implicitly telling other countries not to be disturbed if violence erupts here," he said.

Panitharn Wattanayakorn, a leading political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, said the phrase "threat to democracy" in the letter was ambiguous.

Mr Thaksin must clarify if the threat in question is aimed at democracy or 'Thaksinocracy', the system of total administrative control that critics have often identified with the government.

He should also make it clear if he proposes to put an end to such a threat once and for all. When the government sees a threat, it almost always approves an array of retaliatory measures, either through military or political means.

Mr Panitharn said the letter also tends to misrepresent the movement for democracy and the function of the judiciary.

Another downside is that the letter could be seen as inviting the US to intervene in Thailand's domestic affairs.

"I find the letter lop-sided, being rather heavy on emotion with so many accusations against opponents, and too much flattery for the leader," he said.

The reply from Mr Bush was distant and "cold", he said. Mr Bush matched Mr Thaksin's lack of enthusiasm about internal politics with optimism that the country's democracy is progressing.

"The reply may have taught us that democracy goes hand in hand with checks and balances and that protests are the norm," he said, adding that Mr Bush had played his cards right by choosing not to take part in the "justification-seeking game". Mr Surachai, meanwhile, slammed Mr Thaksin for his narrow view of democracy. He said foreign leaders were not likely to believe what was said in the letter.

Kasit Piromya, a former ambassador to the US, said it was odd that the prime minister confided to other leaders about political woes for which he is to blame.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Mr Thaksin is paying lip service to national reconciliation. The prime minister must stop causing pretexts for confrontations.

In the past two weeks, Mr Thaksin has stirred political tension by making references to a 'charismatic individual' he said is plotting against the government.

The People's Alliance for Democracy accused Mr Thaksin of planning to press the three election commissioners to resign so opposition parties would join the next general election. Mr Thaksin needs a false sense of reconciliation to get away with the tax-free 73-billion-baht Shin-Temasek deal and cronyism in the government, said PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila.

Reconciliation could not be achieved until Mr Thaksin resigns, he said.

Edited by Hermano Lobo

I disagree. Although it does match his personality (or of your prefer I talk cop ‘MO’), if would be political suicide if any major action happened prior to a valid election.

Is Thaksin wanting to do more than he is now, absolutely.

When he does will it be bad, absolutely.

Right now he is very frustrated and most certainly has set up loads of contingency plans. The talk of a military brass shuffle in Thaksin’s favor tells me that he is ether concerned or planning a crackdown. Ether way any shuffle with the King’s military should benefit the King and not Thaksin.

Right now the best thing that can be done is to keep him off balance with hits from all sides. Don’t let him structure a defense that will further hurt the country.

The dear George letter can also be read that Thaksin is feeling more and more isolated and he wants reassurance from other heads of state.

By the way when are we getting back on topic with who that charismatic person may be? That was how this letter go to be a hot topic, but that part seems to have faded from the press and the posts.

The following is from today's online version of The Nation - Editorial Opinion - 18 July 2006:

A 'Dear Thaksin' letter the govt doesn't want you to see

Very few people know that besides the short official response US President George W Bush wrote to caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on July 3, the US leader also sent him a more personal note which was never made public but a copy of which was leaked to me.

But you can be sure that both Government House and the White House will deny the existence of this "Dear Thaksin" letter.

Dear Thaksin;

Thank for your letter and for enlightening me on the current political situation in your country. It was a pleasant surprise given that I have hardly received any personal messages from Thai leaders in years. Your expression of "high personal regard" for my leadership was much appreciated in the face of the brickbats that my administration and I have been receiving from all other parts of the world.

I have two reasons to be grateful for the contents of your letter. Firstly, it has restored my confidence in the influence that the United States wields over Thailand. Your predecessors obviously showed nothing but ignorance when it came to the deference that your country owes a great power like the United States. They never cared to confide in American presidents and seek their blessings the way Thai leaders in the past did. Thanks to your great leadership and political farsightedness, you have now re-established that tradition. And secondly, it brings to my attention the sloppy work our diplomatic mission in Bangkok has been doing.

I was particularly struck by what you described as "a threat to democracy in Thailand" from your "opponents" through "extra-Constitutional tactics". I have to confess that I had been hoodwinked all along by our embassy in Bangkok and the American media. Contrary to what you explained in your letter, they tried to distort the political crisis you are facing as the pro-democracy middle class rightfully challenging the legitimacy of your political leadership. You have to forgive me for mistaking those peaceful street demonstrations as a sign that Thai democracy was maturing. Even worse, I was so ignorant - again, blame it on our mission in Bangkok and the media - that I thought key democratic institutions in Thailand had been undermined single-handedly by you. Your letter makes it all clear to me that you have been a victim of a political conspiracy.

I have to admit that for a while I really fell for the analyses that claimed many Thais felt you were unfit to rule because of rampant corruption and conflicts of interest in your administration. I almost wrote you off as a lame-duck prime minister rejected by all major institutions in your country. Our diplomats even described you as a "beleaguered prime minister" and for some time I also referred to you in this manner.

Your explanation about the April-2 election was very enlightening for me. I had been fooled by our Bangkok mission and the media into believing that the election was extremely dirty - even by Thai standards - and designed in such a way that a victory for your Thai Rak Thai Party was a foregone conclusion even before the first ballot was cast. I was also duped into buying charges that your party got a helping hand from the Election Commission. Your letter made it all too clear to me that your party swept the election entirely because of your popularity. You didn't spend a single baht to buy votes. You didn't coerce local officials to support your candidates. And you didn't call the snap election because you wanted to escape scrutiny over your family's business deal with Temasek of Singapore as charged by your opponents - and, again, as reported by our mission in Bangkok.

You know as well as I do what sore losers are capable of doing or saying. I had my own lesson in the 2000 presidential election. I am totally convinced that I won the election on the basis of my strong leadership - not because my brother who happened to be the governor in Florida had a hand in the contentious vote counting that turned out to be in my favour. Needless to say, my sympathy lies with you.

I am particularly glad that you mentioned "our on-going war on terror" which I suppose you know perfectly well is the cornerstone of my policy. You sure know my soft spot. I congratulate you for your tough approach in cracking down on the terrorists in southern Thailand. But as a friend, I cannot hide my disappointment at the low body count. There is definitely something you can learn from the American adventure in Iraq. We bomb, we kill and we destroy. Military force is the only language that terrorists or separatists - or whoever they are - understand. And you know that you can always count on "Uncle Sam" if you really want to stamp out terrorism in your country.

My friend Thaksin, by confiding in me, you not only reinforce my confidence in your loyalty to my administration but also give me much-needed proof that I made the right decision in granting Thailand the status of a major non-NATO ally in 2003. I hope your June 23 letter will not be the last. And I can assure you that our correspondence will be kept strictly confidential as it would do more harm than good (to you, my friend) if it were made public.

Finally, I want to assure you that heads will roll at our diplomatic mission in Bangkok. I don't tolerate diplomats who think they are smarter than their host. And you can be sure that I will use all the power I have to get all those dumb American media correspondents in Bangkok who have been feeding me with misinformation replaced. I hate journalists who ask stupid questions and pen reports that are not constructive as much as you do.

By the way, even though my hotline is open 24 hours, please don't call unless it's a real emergency - like needing an airlift in the middle of the night. You can be sure that we never abandon friends in time of troubles. Field Marshal Thanom and family members of late President Marcos can testify to that.

Sincerely,

George

Written by Sutichai Yoon's brother, Thepchai Yong, they'e both competing to satirise Thaksin. They don't look alike and have different surnames because of a mix-up in spellings at the birth registry office!

Regarding John Kruwkoski's question it is generally accepted by all that Thaksin was referring to General Prem who made a rousing speech a few days ago reminding the army and civil servants their first loyalty is to the King andcountry. Following that speech Pongthep Thepkanchana, a deputy head of TRT reminded the old guard they were no longer in power.

The gloves are off.

Well that still puts words in his mouth, and I for one would like to hear it from him. If that is the case then he has successfully eluded a major question. Don’t fall into his game because he cheats, Have him answer. :o

Now, now, 'john K.', don't get impatient.

In court, wise counsel never, never ask a question unless thay are sure what answer they are going to get.

The longer that this is only bickering about whether the wording of a letter is well-judged or not, the better.

I don't think that 'the gloves are off' in the sense that this is now a bare-knuckle fight. I think the hands are still bandaged. In fact, the flapping ends of the bandages may be sufficient of a distraction that they tire without any heavy blows being hit.

It has been a long trail from 1932 and stretches far into the future........