Should children living here have a yearly flu vaccine?

Pattaya Pat

Every year my wife gets a flu vaccine for our daughter and every year it causes a row as I'm sure it is not needed and it is just a ploy from the hospital to extract more money out of you. They tell her that our daughter should have it done and of course she just meekly agrees. There goes another thousand baht in the hospital coffers..

Or, am I wrong? I've always believe that flu vaccines are only for old people and/or if you live in a cold country and the winter is approaching?

Thanks.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello

Think again, vaccines against the flu are for everyone, but especially for children and seniors.
I caught two flus in Thailand, which they left me in bed eight days and one month patraque. w00t.gifsick.gifcrazy.gif

8 days in bed sounds like heaven laugh.png

We never had flu vaccines when we were kids, so sorry but not convinced. Thanks anyway.

• Like 2

There are so many varieties of flu how would you know which one to vaccinate against.

Really only should be for old people or those with compromised immune systems.

As I suspected, The thing is the wife will do what ever the doc suggests and when I tell her it's not needed she simply will not accept it and just ends up in yet another row..

You also have risk of death if unlucky and pass on the flu to countless others putting there lives at risk. As said above it will likely the the parents of these children that are most at risk.

In the USA, where flu shots are given to most people, there were still below deaths - without shots it would have been much more. Not everybody is able to fight off such attacks - it makes sense to use what extra is available - and flu shots have been proven over many decades.

CDC estimates that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.
  • Like 1

You also have risk of death if unlucky and pass on the flu to countless others putting there lives at risk. As said above it will likely the the parents of these children that are most at risk.

In the USA, where flu shots are given to most people, there were still below deaths - without shots it would have been much more. Not everybody is able to fight off such attacks - it makes sense to use what extra is available - and flu shots have been proven over many decades.

CDC estimates that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.

Well in all my life I never heard a single case of someone (beside maybe some very old people) dieing of flu. While I heard hundreds of stories of people dying......cancer, accidents, strokes, shock, etc etc but not flu

• Like 1

Well in all my life I never heard a single case of someone (beside maybe some very old people) dieing of flu. While I heard hundreds of stories of people dying......cancer, accidents, strokes, shock, etc etc but not flu

Just because you have never heard of something does not mean it is not true......

You are wrong and your wife is smarter than you. A flu shot costs 100 baht at the government hospital. If you are so conspiratorial to believe it is about the hospital making more money.....well like I said, be grateful your wife is more rational.

As for your statement, "We never had flu vaccines when we were kids, so sorry but not convinced. Thanks anyway." Well, better not vaccinate your kid with the chicken pox vaccine either then.....cause you know....never had it when you were a kid.

Kids can die from the flu....proven fact. Straight negligence not to vaccinate your kids in this day and age. Time to step aside and start letting the wife make the medical decisions for the family.

I am stunned by some of the ignorant comments posted on this thread......facepalm.gif

Haha, nice passion.

Thanks for your OPINION. And of course she is smarter than me, I still can't change a lightbulb.

You are wrong and your wife is smarter than you. A flu shot costs 100 baht at the government hospital. If you are so conspiratorial to believe it is about the hospital making more money.....well like I said, be grateful your wife is more rational.

As for your statement, "We never had flu vaccines when we were kids, so sorry but not convinced. Thanks anyway." Well, better not vaccinate your kid with the chicken pox vaccine either then.....cause you know....never had it when you were a kid.

Kids can die from the flu....proven fact. Straight negligence not to vaccinate your kids in this day and age. Time to step aside and start letting the wife make the medical decisions for the family.

I am stunned by some of the ignorant comments posted on this thread......facepalm.gif

Haha, nice passion.

Thanks for your OPINION. And of course she is smarter than me, I still can't change a lightbulb.

Not sure what part of my post was an "opinion"..... I was simply pointing out, by your logic, if you did not have something when you were a kid, no reason for your kid to have it (which is insane) . If everyone thought like that, major diseases and illnesses would never have been eradicated through vaccines.

Spanish Flu in 1918, killed 5% of the world population, mainly affecting those aged 15-35.

It killed between 50 and 100 million people worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Flu is deadly. It remains deadly. Many people with a bad cold say they have 'flu,' they haven't, they have a cold.

Children are very vulnerable and if they get flu they become very sick indeed.

To the OP and others who are opposing flu vaccination in Thailand, please look up 'herd immunity,' it is not just about you.

I have one each year in New Zealand and they work. I have a fever at the moment and bronchus but never had my flue jab this year.

The only thing I can see problems with in Thailand is they have a huge amount of stock of the old one that quite a number of countries have banned because of problems, I heard Thailand bought this banned one very cheap. They were banned in all Europe countries, New Zealand & Australia I would not have a Thai one.

You should be able to check this one out on Google. "flue injections banned (withdrawn"

Just because you have never heard of something does not mean it is not true......

no but it means it is extremely rare.

Spanish Flu in 1918, killed 5% of the world population, mainly affecting those aged 15-35.

It killed between 50 and 100 million people worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

I agree we should vaccinate against the Spanish flu once it comes back.

The flu vaccine is designed for everyone's protection and is highly effective - it is less so for elderly (but still worthwhile) and special stronger version is made. It is highly recommended.

The normal shot protects against the three forms that are expected to be the most problem in any given year (it changes almost yearly). They now market a four version also in some areas.

This Cochrane report doesn't share your enthusiasm.

Children (< 16 years old) and the elderly (above 65 years old) are the two age groups that appear to have the most complications following an influenza infection. Influenza has a viral origin and often results in an acute respiratory illness affecting the lower or upper parts of the respiratory tract, or both. Viruses are mainly of two subtypes (A or cool.png and spread periodically during the autumn-winter months. However, many other viruses can also cause respiratory tract illnesses. Diffusion and severity of the disease could be very different during different epidemics. Efforts to contain epidemic diffusion rely mainly on widespread vaccination. Recent policy from several internationally-recognised institutions, recommend immunisation of healthy children between 6 and 23 months of age (together with their contacts) as a public health measure. The review authors found that in children aged from two years, nasal spray vaccines made from weakened influenza viruses were better at preventing illness caused by the influenza virus than injected vaccines made from the killed virus. Neither type was particularly good at preventing 'flu-like illness' caused by other types of viruses. In children under the age of two, the efficacy of inactivated vaccine was similar to placebo. It was not possible to analyse the safety of vaccines from the studies due to the lack of standardisation in the information given, but very little information was found on the safety of inactivated vaccines, the most commonly used vaccine in young children. - See more at: http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004879/ARI_vaccines-for-preventing-influenza-in-healthy-children#sthash.b072uCnW.dpuf

once in a while is fine, but don't see a need to get it every year

Even though the flu itself changes every year?

A poster above remarked on the amount of ignorance in this thread. He was about 10% right. Unbelievable. I think my favourite is the person who never heard of someone dying of the flu. Hundreds die every year of influenza, just in Thailand. There are regular threads on ThaiVisa about it. Remarkable ignorance in a world with Google.

I hope the OP's wife makes all medical decisions in that family. He sounds quite a dangerous husband.

While you prepare to just leave this thread and stop beclowning yourself, read this about a terribly minor outbreak of "ordinary" flu in Thailand.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0054946

Edited by wandasloan

once in a while is fine, but don't see a need to get it every year

Even though the flu itself changes every year?

A poster above remarked on the amount of ignorance in this thread. He was about 10% right. Unbelievable. I think my favourite is the person who never heard of someone dying of the flu. Hundreds die every year of influenza, just in Thailand. There are regular threads on ThaiVisa about it. Remarkable ignorance in a world with Google.

I hope the OP's wife makes all medical decisions in that family. He sounds quite a dangerous husband.

While you prepare to just leave this thread and stop beclowning yourself, read this about a terribly minor outbreak of "ordinary" flu in Thailand.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0054946

Nothing against vaccination against such rare cases like here the "swine flu" which come every 10-20 years