How good are Thai Motorcycle Helmets?

So I ride my motorcycle everywhere and the helmet I wear is a full face Index helmet that costs about 1000 baht new.

When I was riding in the U.S. new motorcycle helmets cost between 400-700 dollars like a Arai or Shoei.

How good are these Thai helmets? Do they have a snell rating?

It just seems like there is a huge price difference is it possible 1000 baht buys you a good helmet?

Also where can you buy some high end motorcycle helmets in Thailand?

thanks!

My view is that the Index ones are acceptable but at the lower limit for scooters. Some of the Real helmets though are very good value and quite a step up. Most of the cheapies are rubbish and with pojections and wide brims are probably even more dangerous than not wearing one in a low speed accident.

• Like 2

From what I've seen those Thai helmets are to lightweight to put it nicely, to save your head in an accident. In Australia bicycle helmets are better than Thai motorbike helmets.

Strangely in our village, kids think it's not cool to even wear a helmet. Bad parenting it starts there imo.

• Like 1

Shoei, Arai, and others in their class have Snell/DOT/ECE ratings (at least one, and possibly all three) as they need these ratings to be considered road-legal (DOT in the US and ECE in Europe, i.e,). I believe Thai helmets are required to have a TIS stamp, but has anyone ever been checked or questioned on the legality of their helmet?

Any padded motorcycle helmet is likely better than no helmet in a crash (though not always- a helmet that shatters can do more harm than good), but rated helmets have more expensive components in the shell and liner, and you won't find them in a 1000 baht helmet. I've read that some helmets by Real are rated and are in the 3000 baht range (though you won't get the features and quality construction of a nice Shoei at that price). Index helmets would probably do the job in a low speed crash where you suffered a mild impact to the head, but they're thin and brittle and will easily crack when stressed. If you can buy a helmet at Tesco, you can't expect it to be world-class...wink.png

There are several places to buy a good helmet in Thailand these days, and prices have been getting better the last couple of years- Panda Rider, The Paddock, Kamix Shop, Rider Outlet (check FB for the last two), and others. Mail-order from the US or Europe is also possible, but there's shipping and import taxes to deal with.

Good advice from this guy. lve been a biker in the UK and here in Thailand for over 10 years, and the advice is the same - you get what you pay for. 1000 baht buys you very little protection, go the extra 15,000 baht and get a Shoei or Arai. l hope you never have a serious accident, but if you do then 15,000 baht will save your life, literally !

Look on the news, see how many people die from head injuries in motorcycle accidents, it's a no-brainer

You can find some leftover Shoei RF-1100 models (it's been replaced by the RF-1200) at deep discounts online (making the shipping/import charges more bearable)- many models are under $300, and it's a steal for that price (I paid over $400 for mine two years ago)- while the new model is a bit lighter and has a lower profile, the older one is still a fantastic helmet and well worth considering.

Real Helmets are OK but the lower end of the proper helmet range IMO (as reflected in the price). I believe they are OK in terms of safety but they are heavy and not the best quality over a period of time. Avoid the matte colors, I bought one for the 711 runs but it was matte black and the paint melted in the sun when it was left on the bike. OK for a cheap helmet but I'd replace after 12 months based on how mine aged.

I bought a couple of Shark Helmets at the recent show at Bang Na. Quite impressed so far, the quality seems excellent for the price point and the sales staff were knowledgeable and helpful when buying. Mine was 11,000 baht and easily as light (and more comfortable) than my previous Shoei which was almost twice that.

I really wanted the Shoei GT-Air but I tried it at the Paddock stand and the shape was all wrong, too flat at the front and really dug into the front of my head. Would have given me a headache after 10 minutes and I always go for a proper fitting helmet that's the right shape for my head before I get too transfixed by make/model. Shame though as it's a lovely looking helmet.

• Like 2

OP you can also check out helmet ratings from UK's gov Sharp body here: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk

Higher price does not always equal better safety.. you pay for brand, color scheme, features, interior quality etc.

As others have mentioned, priorities are: recognized rating + proper fit. The rest is optional and up to your taste and budget.

What I also find very interesting is that the Thai helmet industry is a protected industry. Imported helmets are subject to a 100% import terrif, which also includes the shipping costs, and then an additional 7% VAT is added to the total. So a decent imported helmet bought here will cost you more than double.

This is incorrect- for example, the Nexx and Schuberth lines are the same price at Panda Rider as they are in the States- even if you mail order one the customs hit will be less than 40%. For something like a Shoei (where prices tend to be higher in LOS) The Paddock sells the GT-Air for about 20% more than the US. Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

What I also find very interesting is that the Thai helmet industry is a protected industry. Imported helmets are subject to a 100% import terrif, which also includes the shipping costs, and then an additional 7% VAT is added to the total. So a decent imported helmet bought here will cost you more than double.

This is incorrect- for example, the Nexx and Schuberth lines are the same price at Panda Rider as they are in the States- even if you mail order one the customs hit will be less than 40%. For something like a Shoei (where prices tend to be higher in LOS) The Paddock sells the GT-Air for about 20% more than the US.

Paddock prices for Shoei and Arai are about the same or even cheaper than the States. Depending on model and Paddock will give a discount if you go in person.

The visors are more expensive though, double price.

• Like 1

Real Helmets are OK but the lower end of the proper helmet range IMO (as reflected in the price). I believe they are OK in terms of safety but they are heavy and not the best quality over a period of time. Avoid the matte colors, I bought one for the 711 runs but it was matte black and the paint melted in the sun when it was left on the bike. OK for a cheap helmet but I'd replace after 12 months based on how mine aged.

I bought a couple of Shark Helmets at the recent show at Bang Na. Quite impressed so far, the quality seems excellent for the price point and the sales staff were knowledgeable and helpful when buying. Mine was 11,000 baht and easily as light (and more comfortable) than my previous Shoei which was almost twice that.

I really wanted the Shoei GT-Air but I tried it at the Paddock stand and the shape was all wrong, too flat at the front and really dug into the front of my head. Would have given me a headache after 10 minutes and I always go for a proper fitting helmet that's the right shape for my head before I get too transfixed by make/model. Shame though as it's a lovely looking helmet.j

i have a shark also and it really doesnt compare to my arai imho. It is older and made in France not Thailand.

post-70028-0-45709300-1409631631_thumb.j

This is incorrect- for example, the Nexx and Schuberth lines are the same price at Panda Rider as they are in the States- even if you mail order one the customs hit will be less than 40%. For something like a Shoei (where prices tend to be higher in LOS) The Paddock sells the GT-Air for about 20% more than the US.

Paddock prices for Shoei and Arai are about the same or even cheaper than the States. Depending on model and Paddock will give a discount if you go in person.

The visors are more expensive though, double price.

The difference is when they have sales or closeouts in the USA you can save real money.

• Like 1

^

That could be the case- I just went by their website prices, which may not be current.

Yep RSD big difference on the price of everything if you go to their shop.

Have you heard any news about Alpinestars new shop in Bangkok? Paddock told me they are opening one directly.

I really wanted the Shoei GT-Air but I tried it at the Paddock stand and the shape was all wrong, too flat at the front and really dug into the front of my head. Would have given me a headache after 10 minutes and I always go for a proper fitting helmet that's the right shape for my head before I get too transfixed by make/model. Shame though as it's a lovely looking helmet.

I second the recommendation for Shark. I have a Shark Speed-R and it is excellent. Shark helmets are worn by Superbike and Motogp riders.

You don't have to spend 15-20K on a Shoei/Arai, heck you can even go as low as 4,000 Baht for a Shark S600 which is still a very good helmet, ECE certified and also does well in independent tests like that Sharp I mentioned above. In fact I was ready to shell out for the Shoei, they both fit me, but the Shark does better in those tests than the Shoei GT-Air. I went for the more expensive Speed-R (10K) for the extra features like sun visor and interior, not for extra safety.

Another good brand with very reasonable prices here is the AGV.

It make no sense to me to save a couple of thousand Baht on something like protecting your face and head.

• Like 2

^

That could be the case- I just went by their website prices, which may not be current.

Yep RSD big difference on the price of everything if you go to their shop.

Have you heard any news about Alpinestars new shop in Bangkok? Paddock told me they are opening one directly.

I only heard they're going to open (if it's not open already)- I would guess the prices will be in line with the Dainese shop, so ~20%-30% more than the US for most items (though there will probably be good deals on some older stuff).

• Like 1

I second the recommendation for Shark. I have a Shark Speed-R and it is excellent. Shark helmets are worn by Superbike and Motogp riders.

You don't have to spend 15-20K on a Shoei/Arai, heck you can even go as low as 4,000 Baht for a Shark S600 which is still a very good helmet, ECE certified and also does well in independent tests like that Sharp I mentioned above. In fact I was ready to shell out for the Shoei, they both fit me, but the Shark does better in those tests than the Shoei GT-Air. I went for the more expensive Speed-R (10K) for the extra features like sun visor and interior, not for extra safety.

It make no sense to me to save a couple of thousand Baht on something like protecting your face and head.

Yes I've also got the Speed-R but it sounds like you got it slightly cheaper than me (the 11k I paid is still pretty good as this model is around 15k in the UK). Nice helmets IMO...

HE4510EKAR-6.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I've also got the Speed-R but it sounds like you got it slightly cheaper than me (the 11k I paid is still pretty good as this model is around 15k in the UK). Nice helmets IMO...

9,700 to be precise but that's because I got the completely white, blank version. The color scheme you got was the same price where I bought it (Hachi Rider). I've only seen them on discount at the recent Bike Festival, otherwise their prices are fixed.

Btw Shark manufactures in Thailand, for local market and export, my helmet was less than 2 months old from manufacturing date (there's a sticker on the box).

post-43886-0-45308800-1409633802_thumb.j

• Like 1

I own 3 Real helmets and imo they are good value for money. No problems so far. And i dont think the ECE and DOT ratings are fake. But you shouldnt expect a 2,000 Baht helmet to have the same quality and features as a 20,000 Baht helmet.

The saying "How much do you value your head" sounds nice. But i value everything of my body. So imo its better to consider what other gear you lack. If your gear is complete you may want to spend more on your helmet. But if you eg. have no gloves i would suggest to buy a cheaper helmet AND some gloves.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

Be careful with the supercheap helmets for less than 1500 Baht. Usually they use cheap styrofoam instead of a real energy-absorbing foam that is suited for motorbike accidents. All Real helmets are made with such energy-absorbing foam. Sure they wouldnt be able to pass ECE or DOT tests if not. So 1500 Baht is the minimum for a proper helmet in Thailand. All less than 1500 Baht is crap imo.

You can get the Real GJ-998 for 1500 Baht. Not saying this is high quality, but for most scooter rides it should be OK. I use it every day on my scooter since three years. No problems, no crashes, but i will replace it soon as it starts to stink:

1.png

Maybe i will get the "Hornet-Stardust" for 2,200 Baht (1350g, ECE rated, DD-ring closure). Not sure about color, maybe hi-vis this time?

82.png79.png

Or maybe the "Cyber-Air" in matte white for 3,300 Baht (1,400g, ECE rated, DD-ring closure, fiberglass reinforced shell, integrated sun visor):

15.png

Imo Real makes good helmets for really good prices. But i understand if people want to stick to their well known brands. Buying a helmet seems to be as emotional as buying a bike.

check hjc helmets too. i bought one for gf for 3900 THB some time ago.

some reals looks nice and proper. i got a free bilmola from bigwing while getting my cbr500. it is nice but visor not is broken inside and no way to reach there without cracking the helmet! and i wore it maybe 5 times.

• Like 2

I would like to directly address the op's questions.

All Thai motorcycle helmets are made to the Thai industrial standard. AFAIK, the current standard for motorcycle helmets is still TIS.369-2539. If you are interested you can look it up, but it is all in Thai.

IMHO, the Thai helmets made to this standard are crap. Your Index full face helmet may look OK, but for me just looking OK doesn't make it. I want to see test results, specifically impact tests. AFAIK, the only Thai helmet that meets the DOT and ECE standards are the REAL helmets, but you can forget about the Snell standard.

I personally wear a REAL helmet, but it is heavy. I've had some real good discussions with people as to the effect of the weight, which AFAIK has not yet been taken into consideration by the DOT and ECE people, but I hope someday soon it will be and added to their standards.

To summarize, don't trust that Thai helmet to protect your head in case of an accident. It's sole purpose is to protect your wallet from the police.

You can find all information about the TIS 369-2539 standard in English here: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php?id=257

best value helmet money can buy here is shoei z 7 aka rf1200 in western world. also it was released recently means newer tech.

great build quality and vision. also feels light. ventilation they say superb.

and you can buy one from paddock bangkok http://www.paddock.co.th/ at 17,000 thb.

http://jp.shoei.com/products/en/helmet_detail.php?id=408

if you have more budget, i say shoei x12 right away at 23,000 thb. kiyonari red model.

http://jp.shoei.com/products/en/helmet_detail.php?id=401

apart from these, cannot go wrong with arai, agv and schuberth.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Your scooter may only be worth 40-50k and spending another 15-20k on a helmet my seem unreasonable but how much is your head worth?

That's a decision that you are free to make.

The most expensive helmet I saw in a shop today was about $700.

My head is worth a LOT more than that.

What should I do???

• Like 1