Thai officials eye shisha and e-cigarette tax

webfact

I think I am reading that if they do not tax it then it is illegal. If they establish a tax on it, then it will be legal - right?

Yes, do you think alcohol and tobacco would be legal if there was not a tax on them? The use of these products causes other problematic issues.

Legalizing vices through taxation seems to be the preferred method.

Neither product is currently registered under any Thai laws, officials said.

<snip>

Officials said that despite its widespread use, shisha is in fact illegal

Anyone else notice a contradiction here? smile.png

It is illegal by virtue of the fact that it's importation is illegal, so no contradiction.

Anybody who has not seen the Yes, Prime Minister episode entitled the Smoke Screen should take the time to watch it. Sir Humphrey's argument that tobacco tax revenue exceeds the medical costs so smokers are heroes dying for their country is classic.

• Like 1

Shisha is already banned in Thailand!!! So now they plan to tax an illegal activity. I have never heard of anything so stupid!

You've never heard of an illegal substance called Marijuana that is now legal in many countries for the sole purpose of collecting taxes?

• Like 1

jacksam, on 02 Sept 2014 - 11:06, said:
misterphil, on 02 Sept 2014 - 09:35, said:

Shisha, the fastest way to catch herpes in Thailand.

What are u smoking. I assume your rferring to herpes simplex 1.

Or are u smoking it with the old fella.

and why are you questioning him...I think most of us understood it as herpes simplex..... it is still herpes.

• Like 2

Triplebank999, on 02 Sept 2014 - 12:15, said:
Tywais, on 02 Sept 2014 - 09:51, said:
QuoteNeither product is currently registered under any Thai laws, officials said.

<snip>

It is illegal by virtue of the fact that it's importation is illegal, so no contradiction.

Interesting, so what law prohibits the importation and why are they passed by customs.

Shisha is already banned in Thailand!!! So now they plan to tax an illegal activity. I have never heard of anything so stupid!

Ah but if you read the post again, you will see where catch22 comes in to play. They intend to legalise it first.

They need the money. Don't be to suprised to find they legalise prostitution next.

jb1

Years ago, in the US,, when pot was still illegal in all the States,, The Feds issued a Federal, "Marijuana tax stamp" that DIDN'T make pot legal,, but what it DID do?... the penalty for selling pot WITHOUT the tax stamp, was MORE than for selling the pot itself!!! Many avid stamp collectors where of course hit up when they purchased the stamps for their collections,, I mean, WHY would you need the stamp, if you weren't selling pot?.... that was the reasoning anyway,,,, lolol

e cigs should not be taxed since they can help smokers quit and should be viewed in a similar way to the nicotine patch. e cigs are also a godsend for those non-smokers in close proximity, improving their health and the freshness of their clothes and hair.

by all means tax shisha as it is basically a high dose cig delivery system.

• Like 1

e cigs should not be taxed since they can help smokers quit and should be viewed in a similar way to the nicotine patch. e cigs are also a godsend for those non-smokers in close proximity, improving their health and the freshness of their clothes and hair.

You really think those nicotine patches , gum etc are tax free ????

You really think those nicotine patches , gum etc are tax free ????

No they're not VAT free. Reading the Op and interpreting what is not put very clearly, they are considering an excise tax on shisha & e-cigs.

As they are currently in a 'grey area' legally it would be a good idea to allow them and tax the tobacco in shisha & the nicotine in some of the e-cigs' liquids. They would both be subject to VAT as well.

I think it is a positive move (being a smoker).

• Like 1

Did you actually read it? rolleyes.gif

They said that they plan to change the law to make it legal and then regulate and tax it.

Edited by moto77

Neither product is currently registered under any Thai laws, officials said.

<snip>

Not really. It's the old principle that "anything that is not expressly permitted is forbidden".

It used to be the rule in the old Soviet Union and the Communist states of Eastern Europe I believe. I guess it still applies in a great many countries.

jacksam, on 02 Sept 2014 - 11:06, said:

misterphil, on 02 Sept 2014 - 09:35, said:

Shisha, the fastest way to catch herpes in Thailand.

What are u smoking. I assume your rferring to herpes simplex 1.

Or are u smoking it with the old fella.

and why are you questioning him...I think most of us understood it as herpes simplex..... it is still herpes.[/

Maybe because I am a retired doctor. Herpes simplex 1. Otherwise know as cold sores is a far cry from the debilitating virus know as herpes simplex 2 or genital herpes. Some people exposed to it meaning have it, can be lucky and have symptons that may dissapear over time. Some sadly do no. You cannot contract this virus by sharing oral exchange. .

quote]

I don't really get all the different approaches to nicotine depending on its delivery system. It's a highly addictive drug. Harder to quit than heroin for many people. So just tax nicotine - then anything you put it in - shisha or e-cigs or gum or whatever helps make money that can be spent on something useful - like clinics for addicts.

And I don't want to punish nicotine addicts financially - but I like it if every thing with nicotine is too expensive for young people to develop the addiction while they are impressionable. Trying to find a fair point between these 2 different aims isn't easy.