Flooding in North and Isaan - Thai Meteorological Dept

webfact

Flooding in North and Northeast

9-1-2014-9-57-03-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Heavy downpours are causing havoc in many provinces in the North and Northeast as Thai Meteorological Department forecast more rains over the next several days.

Meanwhile a school director who was washed away by flashflood while driving in his car to school was found dead near a reservoir.

Authorities in Chiang Rai discovered and retrieved the body of Tawatchai Deepan, director of Suksan School in Tat Khwan sub-district, floating in a local reservoir some 10 kilometer away from where he was reportedly swept away by forest runoff while driving his car to school last Friday.

In the lower north, forest runoff flowed down from mountains to flood Nong Bua district of Nakhon Sawan province.

A local road near the provincial land transport office was inundated by some 50-centimeter deep floodwater.

Many small cars and motorcycles were seen broken down on the road. The flood also prompted local villagers to evacuate to high grounds, and on the roads.

In nearby Phetchabun province, runoff from Sap Samo Thot and Sap Mai Daeng mountain ranges flowed down and inundated Bung Sam Phan district’s Sap Samo Thot sub-district, which is the economic hub of the province.

The inundation caused widespread damage to local houses and retail shops. A local road also saw the worst-flooding in a decade.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, heavy downpours for three consecutive days caused floods in the municipality areas.

Local residences and civil servants’ dormitories were inundated. Flood level reached as high as one meter in some areas. Soldiers were deployed to help transport students to their school and assist villagers.

In nearby Khon Kaen, a one-kilometer section of a road in front of the Big C shopping mall was under 50-centimeter high flood water following heavy downpour this morning. The road was impassable for small vehicles.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/flooding-north-northeast/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-02

I thought it was only 3 days ago I was reading about the great pending drought ?

One would think that the the authorities would one day start clearing all the crap growing rivers, fed by over fertilization, to help this water escape, but not holding my breath.

Would dams, help stop floods and aid in the dry as well ?

I thought it was only 3 days ago I was reading about the great pending drought ?

One would think that the the authorities would one day start clearing all the crap growing rivers, fed by over fertilization, to help this water escape, but not holding my breath.

Would dams, help stop floods and aid in the dry as well ?

Cannot have a dam on every mountain, if it rains to much and to fast you will have floods the soil cannot absorb it all.

All in all, good news, lessening the potential of drought on a massive scale. After all, it's the height of the rainy season.

Sorry about the death of the school principal, wrong place wrong time.

Does flooding in one season reduce the chances of drought in another? I haven't researched this (personally or on the internet) but I don't see a clear correlation in my experience, especially in parts of the world that have a monsoon season.

All in all, good news, lessening the potential of drought on a massive scale. After all, it's the height of the rainy season.

Does flooding in one season reduce the chances of drought in another? I haven't researched this (personally or on the internet) but I don't see a clear correlation in my experience, especially in parts of the world that have a monsoon season.

In Kalasin in Isaan we are experiencing the most rain in three years. Daily or every second day or all night. There have been some years here where we received rain only 4 times in the rainy season.

So the army is taking children to school. How safe is that. Maybe it would be better to reunite them with their families and take them to high ground.

The RTA is using their high-set multi-wheel drive trucks for safe transportation which is much safer in flood conditions than their normal transport. Are you expecting the soldiers suppressed murderous impulses to come out resulting in a bloodbath?

In Kalasin in Isaan we are experiencing the most rain in three years. Daily or every second day or all night. There have been some years here where we received rain only 4 times in the rainy season.

That may be true, but my point/question is whether this has any bearing on the likelihood of drought in the dry season... I simply don't know, but I suspect it doesn't, especially given that weather patterns are supposedly becoming more extreme in recent years.

As Thai believe in all kinds of hocuspocus, this may lead to a mass conversion to christianity. Noah knew how to handle it...

I like the story of Noah because it is so blatantly incredible. At about 8yo IIRC, it was the first indication I was being spoon fed a load of old cobblers.

• Like 2

That may be true, but my point/question is whether this has any bearing on the likelihood of drought in the dry season... I simply don't know, but I suspect it doesn't, especially given that weather patterns are supposedly becoming more extreme in recent years.

Good point. I made the comment based on the hope that the rainfall in the north will find its way into the Bhumibol and Sirikit dams and raise their levels. But as you say, based on the sometimes erratic weather patterns, there is still the drought potential regardless of how much rain falls between now and the end of the wet season.

As Thai believe in all kinds of hocuspocus, this may lead to a mass conversion to christianity. Noah knew how to handle it...

I like the story of Noah because it is so blatantly incredible. At about 8yo IIRC, it was the first indication I was being spoon fed a load of old cobblers.

Maybe you should read Immanuel Velikovsky instead. Russian records indicate whole islands made of the bones of tens of millions of animals that perished in deluges. (more than one) 'And not so long ago too.

Regards.

Maybe you should read Immanuel Velikovsky instead. Russian records indicate whole islands made of the bones of tens of millions of animals that perished in deluges. (more than one) 'And not so long ago too.

Regards.

I'll have to wait until it comes out on CD, my record player is broken. But i seriously doubt that there are any records indicating a world-wide deluge a'la Water World, or that some prat managed to knock up a boat and collected a pair of every species because some mythical being ordered it.