Thailand’s Tourist Police is set to launch its own LINE account

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand’s Tourist Police is set to launch its own LINE account

998801_512612155484217_1073511875_n.png

• From Tuesday 9th September you'll be able to follow and interact with the Thailand Tourist Police on LINE

BANGKOK:-- Thailand’s Tourist Police Division is set to launch its own LINE Official Account complete with messages for tourists in English & Thai and its own unique LINE sticker character.

The popular LINE messaging Application has around 480 million users world-wide and 29 million of those are in Thailand (as of statistic in July 2014). The Application is one of the most popular ways for people to communicate in Thailand.

The Central Investigation Bureau by Tourist Police Division recognise the importance of this application and has created the Thailand Tourist Police Official LINE Account to assist with better communication between tourist police and tourists to the Kingdom.

It is targeted at both Thais and foreigners and will help provide travel news information and other related useful news information through LINE messages and stickers.

This is an important step in the efforts to promote tourism in the country and support the government’s policy to build tourism confidence.

Thailand’s Tourist Police has already set up Call Centre 1155 as well as a website and Application for the Tourist Police Division to provide news information, assist tourists, receive complaints and exchange news information between the organisation and both Thai and international tourists. The Application will further support these endeavors.

Source: Thailand Tourist Police

tvn.png
-- 2014-09-02

• Like 1

I am coming to Thailand and several people I have contacted have referenced their line number but I do not know how to sign up for that service. I use Skype but LINE looks like a good alternative to have during an extended stay in Thailand. Any help would be appreciated.

I am coming to Thailand and several people I have contacted have referenced their line number but I do not know how to sign up for that service. I use Skype but LINE looks like a good alternative to have during an extended stay in Thailand. Any help would be appreciated.

Go to Google Apps Store (if you're using an Android smartphone) and download the app. It's free. Once it's installed, just go through the registration process and that's it. You will become part of the statistics... LOL!!! Anyway, enjoy your trip. Have a nice one. Cheers.

If you do plan to use LINE and you will have a Thai phone number while you are here, wait to register your account until you have a Thai phone number. It's easier when Line needs to send you verification messages as I do not think you can have two phone numbers registered to Line and you will have limited access to your home country messaging services. I still fallback on skype occasionally or voxer or facetime or tango......

Another piece of advice, you can use your account on phone, laptop, tablet etc but i found out to my cost if you open in a device other than the last one you used all your chat history is wiped. i was warned but tried it out and .. !

You don't lose saved friends though.

I am a foreign journalist working in Thailand. During the six years I have lived here, I have at uneven intervals tested the police, both Thai and Tourist Police´s emergency phone numbers. What a scam. Ridiculous. And dangerous. Nobody answers. Ridiculous. If you do not believe me, call this number now and see what happens: 1155

Thailand = Disgrace

Edited by SMSinBangkok

I just took my own medicine, and phoned 1155 just now. The first call was dropped, thanks to the eminent quality of Thai mobile networks (not) I presume. The second call put me trough to an automatic answering machine, and to my pleasant surprise ended up in me actually talking to someone (if he was Police or not I do not know). I told him (I was kidding) that I had just payed 10.000 Baht to a lady who said she would boom boom me, but she left without fulfilling the agreement. He listened to me, and without any sign of laughter, he told me to contact my nearest police station, which in my case is Bangna. ;-)

I just took my own medicine, and phoned 1155 just now. The first call was dropped, thanks to the eminent quality of Thai mobile networks (not) I presume. The second call put me trough to an automatic answering machine, and to my pleasant surprise ended up in me actually talking to someone (if he was Police or not I do not know). I told him (I was kidding) that I had just payed 10.000 Baht to a lady who said she would boom boom me, but she left without fulfilling the agreement. He listened to me, and without any sign of laughter, he told me to contact my nearest police station, which in my case is Bangna. ;-)

Why make up a story?

Why not tell the truth and say you're testing the system and congratulate him for answering the phone and spending time listening to you?

Do journalists inherently feel the need to lie?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting those stickers to trump my gf's collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

And while you are playing your games, real emergencies are going unanswered. That would get you jail time back home.

Are travel agents around the world passing this info onto tourists? This idea sounds about as clever as the idea they came up with where tourists can now make crime reports at 7/11 instead of going to police stations.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1