Influx of Nissan Juke - Why?

BBesoteric

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cars like everything else is made for specific segments in mind.

Juke was not aimed at 60 plus year olds but more 20-30 range.

That is interesting... cant say I have every seen 20-30 age range driving one, most are much older, one guy in the Village bought one earlier this year he is Thai and 60+ the Thai guy that bought a Ford Ecosport a couple of months back is also in his 60's

Just because you or someone else does not see or see something does not change the fact that cars are made to specific target markets.

There is a good reason why some models advertised with young girls and other models with young boys and other models with rough looking men. or family with kids and dog.

many things are made for a specific target in mind, only to find a totally different market is buying..

as for cars many 60+ are not as agile as they once were and a higher car is easier to get in and out of. years ago Ford came out with a higher car for the younger folk called Fusion, most were being bought by the 60+ and other makes and models over the years the same..

Myself as over 60 find I am driving my Audi A6 far less, as just easier to get in and out of the Mazda BT50 Hi-Racer, if I buy another car then it will be a small 4x4 type looking as higher and easier to get in and out. [No passengers will ever sit in the back so as long as the back seat lay down for my dogs then maybe a Juke will fit the bill]

Only read a few days ago about 'Tablets' most buying are the over 60's... very far from the target marketing age group..

^ You are correct. I now see many middle aged ladies driving the Juke, and you mentioned an excellent point, that SUVs and crossovers are at a perfect height for entering and exiting the car for most people. This convenience factor, together with better visibility, more utility and a more rugged and sporty appearance and ability to navigate rougher roads makes the appeal great. In fact, in the U.S., even though there has always been a huge SUV culture, all recent press reports are that SUV and crossover sales are now overtaking sedans and hatches etc., across the country.

As lamented on this forum many times, it is terribly unfortunate that we do not get access to reasonably priced medium sized non-truck based SUVs, but we cannot change that. For that reason, many people have now opted for these new mini-SUVS like Nissan Juke and Ford Ecosport, including me (Ecosport).

Myself liked the look of the Chevy Trax........ Chevy Thailand had pictures and Spec of there website, [a baby Captiva] for me would have been a top runner but then the project was pulled !! ? a while later on that 'Spin' came out, I have no need for any seats in the rear so would not look at a 6 seater.

So say re adverts on TV the Chevy Sonic is aimed at the older man ? [older man racing around with a huge smile, in a Sonic] yet the few I have seen have been driven with much younger and mostly female.......... another target marketing age group blunder ?

Edited by ignis

Because its a poser car (with no practical value).

I even doubt it has as much space as Mazda 2 (4 door).

Just seen it once at a show in Khon Kaen.

Had a look in the back and had a laugh.

This is so true.

There are lots of people driving around in Dukes near me. They catch your eye at first but that's about it. They're tiny in the back!

A Thai friend of ours has one (black with a red trim and red wing mirrors, I might add) she thinks it's the bees knees, the reality is it looks ridiculous.

Yes but she's Thai , virtually everything a farang thinks a Thai will think the exact opposite. It's normal here. Leaves me speechless at times but you get used to it.

Unlike the sylphy, almera and other give me a double espresso to wake up type sedans in the market, I like the Juke only cause it is different...

You could drink a gallon of coffee and it's still going to be ugly. I hesitate to suggest it was styled by the styling department because there is nothing stylish about it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess - hence why it selling like crazy. It's a cute car for hiso gals - better than the march,yaris, brio. Makes the Swift look dated.

Oddly it is NOT a new car and has been around since end 2008... 1st one I noticed and spoke to the owner was in mid 2010 in Ranong, that one was a Diesel ..

the influx now is because they are NOT full imports anymore so a lot cheaper....... 750 - 850,000 baht is not a bad price + the Special Promotions from Nissan + up to 84 months payment plan

Eighty-Four Months! Just for fun, could one of you financial guys whip out your TI Business Calculator and tell us what the final cost of that unit is? Imagine your sense of accomplishment, seven years on, and you make that last payment.

My wife has had a Duke since February and I have to say that I love it and steal it whenever i can and imagine i'm driving a porsche 911. Originally we were going to get a BMW X1 but were disappointed after the test drive and by low resale vales and decided on the Juke. The marketing seems to be aimed at young people, but i've seen more middle-ager (like us) driving it.

What I like about the Juke:

- distinctive looks (you love it or hate it). turns heads wherever you go

- has huge wheels, taller than mazda 3, ford ecosport and many pickups. great for potholes and speed bumps

- you sit higher than most other small cars, vios, jazz, etc. driver's seat can be raises 6cm so that your bum is a total of 60cm off the road for a nice high driving position.

- fun to drive. very fast acceleration cos no gears (cvt)

- has six headlights! 2 on the hood, 2 on the grill and 2 fog lights

- has a removable android tablet with wifi and bluetooth in the console which accepts usb, micro sd cards, and audio in. connects to cellphone for 3g, gps and handsfree calling.

- has reversing camera

- back seats fold down

- mirrors can be set to fold automatically

- ceiling has insulation and back and side windows are small so keeps the heat out

- keyless entry and start

- E20 fuel

What I don't like:

- poor fuel economy. city driving 12.5km/L. there are three settings: power/normal/eco. i haven't tried eco yet.

- passengers can't play videos/play games/view photos unless the car is parked or the tablet is removed from its dock

- space-saver spare wheel max. speed 80km/hr

- not much headroom in the back seats. okay for kids and the average thai, but not the average farang.

- doors don't lock automatically after you start the engine (previous car would lock the doors after 1 minute)

Overall it feels like a sportscar - fast, fun, but not very practical. Someone above put it in the same category as a mini or beetle and i'd agree with that.

By the way, juke has a heater! rare in thai vehicles due to obvious reasons, but may get some use if you live in the north.

My mum decided on a bmw 1 series instead of the juke. I thought the bmw is a classic and the juke would just be a fad. But a year has past and I don't mind it...

Also how does Nissan stand up to its competitors in Thailand? I never really hear anything good or bad about it and none of my friends drive a Nissan here.

Anyway German cars do not update as often as Japshiite, so it's always better to buy German.

The duke looked cute to my eyes 2 weeks and now I always think that it's so ugly, but I still like your BMW 1 <3

How can a car with a high seating position, a high centre of gravity and huge wheels feel like a sportscar ?

Have you driven it?

No that's why I said 'how', I don't have a feather on my head, but if you want to defy the laws of physics.

So lets check the professional reviews. Not even as good as a hatchback let alone a sportscar. coffee1.gif

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/juke

The Nissan Juke can't match a traditional hatchback like the Ford Fiesta for cornering ability, but while its more SUV than anything in terms of handling, it's still pretty decent to drive and is quite comfortable on the open road.

Around town, the Nissan Juke's light steering makes driving straightforward but it provides very little feel on a twisty B-road. Factor in the taller SUV style body, and the Juke tends to suffer from some body roll while cornering.

Not to mention the sportscar like huge 97bhp/ton. coffee1.gif

How can a car with a high seating position, a high centre of gravity and huge wheels feel like a sportscar ?

Have you driven it?

No that's why I said 'how', I don't have a feather on my head, but if you want to defy the laws of physics.

So lets check the professional reviews. Not even as good as a hatchback let alone a sportscar. coffee1.gif

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/juke

The Nissan Juke can't match a traditional hatchback like the Ford Fiesta for cornering ability, but while its more SUV than anything in terms of handling, it's still pretty decent to drive and is quite comfortable on the open road.

Around town, the Nissan Juke's light steering makes driving straightforward but it provides very little feel on a twisty B-road. Factor in the taller SUV style body, and the Juke tends to suffer from some body roll while cornering.

Not to mention the sportscar like huge 97bhp/ton. coffee1.gif

so a bit like commenting on a restaurant you have never eaten at but others have...got it.

I have driven one. For sure not a people hauler but good fun all the same. As someone else already said, driving is not just A to B it's about enjoying the ride. Some people like the Juke apparently, I prefer my truck.

so a bit like commenting on a restaurant you have never eaten at but others have...got it.

I have driven one. For sure not a people hauler but good fun all the same. As someone else already said, driving is not just A to B it's about enjoying the ride. Some people like the Juke apparently, I prefer my truck.

Yes it is like that if someone says a potato is steak and you still missed the 'how?'

So it's not like a sportscar then and a pick up is more fun to drive ?

Edited by arthurwait

Yes it is like that if someone says a potato is steak and you still missed the 'how?'

no, I have a family of 4 and including bikes and stuff, try as I may, don't think it will all fit in a Juke.

then again, I am not the demographic buying the Juke in numbers. I suspect, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it's not families of 4+ buying a Juke as their primary vehicle.

James, your fired by Nissan. What about promoting the Livina, from 672 K. Nice little family car.Picked up mates Teana 2.5 XV Navi with him today.Superb Ride.Lots of Ugly dukes there too, but i rather like them.I noted new Nissan glass is tinted about right without a.m. tint.

• Like 1

no, I have a family of 4 and including bikes and stuff, try as I may, don't think it will all fit in a Juke.

then again, I am not the demographic buying the Juke in numbers. I suspect, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it's not families of 4+ buying a Juke as their primary vehicle.

So it's not like a sportscar then ?

whistling.gifcoffee1.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

James, your fired by Nissan. What about promoting the Livina, from 672 K. Nice little family car.Picked up mates Teana 2.5 XV Navi with him today.Superb Ride.Lots of Ugly dukes there too, but i rather like them.I noted new Nissan glass is tinted about right without a.m. tint.

Livina as exciting as sylphy or almerda

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Am over in Thailand this week and noticed a Juke with red plates had materialised on my estate. They are so super ugly but I guess the chap, or chapess, behind the wheel couldn't care a toss if they are enjoying themselves

2 things, no matter what you drive, driving you cannot see what the outside looks like...

and if your a bit forgetful think how easy it is to find your car in a parking lot full of Toyota's, Honda's and pickups.

• Like 1