Calling Thai Mobile But Don't Want My Number To Show ...

pete66

ok, it's like this. Next week I want to call my Thai girlfriend on her mobile. I will be in bangkok, maybe pattaya, hua hin. But I don't want her to know I am in Thailand at all :o

So what are the options?

1) VoIP services, such as Skype - obviously good in terms of not revealing my location, but would constantly need to sort out broadband connection, have my notebook with me etc.

2) Phone boxes. If you call from normal Thai phone box, will it show the phone box number? What about calling from International phone-card type phone box?

3) Hotel room. If I dial out from hotel room using IDD, will the hotel phone number appear on my gf's mobile?

Any other options? I'm sure there must be ... if I took my UK Orange SIM with me and activated roaming, she would still think I was in the UK right?

Thanks in advance for any help

ok, it's like this. Next week I want to call my Thai girlfriend on her mobile. I will be in bangkok, maybe pattaya, hua hin. But I don't want her to know I am in Thailand at all :D

Uh oh!

Girls always find out about these things! And we always put two and two together and make five!!! :o

ok, it's like this. Next week I want to call my Thai girlfriend on her mobile. I will be in bangkok, maybe pattaya, hua hin. But I don't want her to know I am in Thailand at all :D

So what are the options?

1) VoIP services, such as Skype - obviously good in terms of not revealing my location, but would constantly need to sort out broadband connection, have my notebook with me etc.

2) Phone boxes. If you call from normal Thai phone box, will it show the phone box number? What about calling from International phone-card type phone box?

3) Hotel room. If I dial out from hotel room using IDD, will the hotel phone number appear on my gf's mobile?

Any other options? I'm sure there must be ... if I took my UK Orange SIM with me and activated roaming, she would still think I was in the UK right?

Thanks in advance for any help

I'll ask the question that maybe a few people are thinking. WHY? Are you checking up on her or planning on surprising her? Are you maybe a stalker? :o Sorry but i have to ask.

AFAIK you cannot block your number from showing in Thailand.

If I am wrong, someone tell us/me how it can be done.

You can block in the States which is why providers often say in their ads, 'Only calls with unblocked numbers will be answered".

Calls from phone boots will show up as private or unknown number...

Thai mobiles will not work if you set outgoing number to off in your phone settings...

If you call from the hotel, it'll show the number from the hotel...

I think you can use one of the following options:

1. VoIP such as skype

2. Cell phone with roaming, i.e. UKor any other country's cell phone

3. PCT, local thai company operated by true. I am not sure though, if it is available outside bkk

Thai mobiles will not work if you set outgoing number to off in your phone settings...
I wasn’t aware of that. Are you quite sure? Tried it on your mobile?

---------------

Maestro

Calls from phone boots will show up as private or unknown number...

If you call from the hotel, it'll show the number from the hotel...

What do you mean by "Thai mobiles will not work if you set outgoing number to off"?

And just for anyone that is wondering why I need to do this, I can't say :o

But I'm not a pervert, stalker, or bad person. Just in a circumstance that requires me not to reveal my location for a short amount of time.

I'd give anything to tap that conversation :o

Cell call originating from within the land of smiles but not from the land of smiles if you get my drift :D

HIM: So How are?

HER: I am good Tiruk. How is New york/Seattle/L.A?

HIM: It is cold and snowing(Yes even in July)

HER: I miss you. Soon you come back to Thailand my big Honey?

HIM: I will try (Insert thai girl name) Bye..Hangs up

HIM:(calls out)Get me another Singha

if any local thai number shows up, tell her you don't know. must be the local transmitting station. i call IDD a lot and a lot of times, the local number shows up on their cell phone although i am not in that country. so a lot of times, my friends or family ask me "where are you?"

one problem, what happens when she asks for your phone number wherever you would be at? my wife would definately ask me for a contact number where she could reach me!!!!

What do you mean by "Thai mobiles will not work if you set outgoing number to off"?
As Monty hasn’t answered you yet I quote below from the manual of my Sony Ericsson K750i:

post-21260-1152801799_thumb.jpg

The mobile phone provider decides if he wants to allow this function; it is specific to the SIM card.

When the provider allows to hide one’s own number, the way do this is specific to the mobile phone one uses.

As I am not in Thailand at the moment I cannot test whether my DTAC Happy SIM card allows me to hide my number but it is indeed possible that some or all providers in Thailand do not allow it.

--------------

Maestro

thanks everyone. I've decided to go with my UK Orange SIM, and use roaming. Expensive for me, but at least it guarantees the number is UK plus its very convenient.

Many thanks for the help folks, and if it was just as simple as "get a new gf" I would have done that. Unfortunately the circumstance is extremely complicated but it will resolve itself in time.

Cheers!

voipcheap will typically withhold your no in thailand

fraid hiding your no from a landline or a mobile is a very difficult option - tried a few times and doesnt work despite setting the phone or trying to put 141 in the front

there is a lichenstein mobile co that does very reasoably priced roaming in many countriesd and is largely free

there is also an option to use a call back service from a thai mobile - then you will pay a reduced fee for your call from your thai mobile to the call back country and the connection from the call back provider to thailand - this will not show a thai mobile no unless the service is provided and will be alot cheaper than orange global romaing

in all these options it is alwways best to test on another mobile first to see what actually does happen...

ps another option is to rent a satellite phone which could work out to be cheaper than orange global roaming is you are going to talk for some time...

AFAIK, the 'hide number' option on your mobile phone menu doesn't work with Thai mobile operators (and many other operators throughout the world). It's better to stick with your UK SIM/roaming.

I did the same as you a few years ago, (came back to BKK one day early for some naughty naughty with another girl - same as you I suppose :o

Minburi, can I finish your quote?

HIM: So How are?

HER: I am good Tiruk. How is New york/Seattle/L.A?

HIM: It is cold and snowing(Yes even in July)

HER: I miss you. Soon you come back to Thailand my big Honey?

HIM: I will try (Insert thai girl name) Bye..Hangs up

HIM:(calls out)Get me another Singha

HER: (cuddling up to farang guy), Sorry darling, just a friend.....

:D:):D