Bangkok taxis threaten higher fares

webfact

Taxis threaten higher fares
By Coconuts Bangkok

taxi_3.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok’s taxi drivers are threatening to raise fares should access to a fuel subsidy card not be extended to more drivers.

Prices for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and natural gas (NGV) are expected to rise, prompting the Bangkok Taxi Cooperatives Network to request drivers of LPG vehicles also be allowed to use credit cards currently issued to NGV drivers to offset the impact.

Withoon Naewpanich, chairman of network, said he’ll petition the transport and justice ministries for the use of the cards by all taxi drivers.

NGV-fueled cabs currently use the cards to buy gas at a discount of THB2 per kilogram [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/03/taxis-threaten-higher-fares

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-09-03

Just curious are taxi meters here in Thailand metered on distance , time or a combination of both . Last time I took a taxi in Australia I figured they must be metered on time because sitting at traffic lights ect the meter just kept ticking on and damn expensive . I will never complain about prices here after taking a taxi from the airport in Perth to an outer suburb after midnight a trip of about 45 minutes and the fare was $96 ( 3000 baht approx ) .

I don't mind if the taxi drivers make a little more actually. The reason why they don't want to pick people during a jam is because they can get stuck in one for a long time and only have a few baht going up in their meter.

Thats incorrect, the meter goes by both time and distance and are proportional to each other.

The reason why they wont go certain places is because they wont be able to pick up another fare or they have to drive across town to return the taxi.

• Like 1

I don't mind if the taxi drivers make a little more actually. The reason why they don't want to pick people during a jam is because they can get stuck in one for a long time and only have a few baht going up in their meter.

I asked some Taxi Driver what they make per day and they were whining of only 1000-1500 Baht profit.

With a minimum salary of 300 Baht that is a lot.

Seriously, I asked one young driver along Sukhumvit, his main stomping grounds....he said he has a wife, 1 kid, and can only afford to go to the brothel twice a week! Not too bad an income I guess... guess he tells the Mrs. he is out with customers...

But many overlook the point that if they pick up people during extreme traffic jams, that meter just crawls, and they burn up gasoline- not turning much of a profit.

Edited by gemini81

I asked some Taxi Driver what they make per day and they were whining of only 1000-1500 Baht profit.

So everybody should earn just minimum salary per day?....dont forget, most on minimum salary have accommodation, paid holidays and sick pay, taxes and social security paid...taxi drivers pay this themselves.....You try living in BKK on 30K a month as a Father with three kids...you seriously think 9K a month is sufficient.

• Like 2

Most of the time they are going to be stuck in traffic anyway, so why not have a passenger pay a little at least. I really failto see the logic.

Just curious are taxi meters here in Thailand metered on distance , time or a combination of both . Last time I took a taxi in Australia I figured they must be metered on time because sitting at traffic lights ect the meter just kept ticking on and damn expensive . I will never complain about prices here after taking a taxi from the airport in Perth to an outer suburb after midnight a trip of about 45 minutes and the fare was $96 ( 3000 baht approx ) .

They're metered on Kilometres...and time....the time charge is quite low...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So everybody should earn just minimum salary per day?....dont forget, most on minimum salary have accommodation, paid holidays and sick pay, taxes and social security paid...taxi drivers pay this themselves.....You try living in BKK on 30K a month as a Father with three kids...you seriously think 9K a month is sufficient.

I highly doubt these drivers will tell us the truth of what they make.whistling.gif

Although, I knew a couple of them in Samui who were making 100,000B+ a month.

Yes. And they had the houses, cars, trucks and children in Universities to show for it.

When the Gov. of Surat came in to sort out the overcharging, (years ago) they, and the rest of them were on the front line protesting any change.

Citing that they would not make enough for a living.

Really? C'mon we can't overcharge and cheat customers anymore?

They have been on the gravy train forever and now whine that they have to shape up and enter civilization.

30,000B to 45,000B a month is not enough for a average Thai family?

B.S.

First off, don't live beyond your means. (if that's what they actually average)

Secondly, don't have three kids.wai2.gifwai.gif

They live with their families and pool their money together of course. Many are farmers who plant then go back and harvest.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I highly doubt these drivers will tell us the truth of what they make.whistling.gif

Although, I knew a couple of them in Samui who were making 100,000B+ a month.

Yes. And they had the houses, cars, trucks and children in Universities to show for it.

When the Gov. of Surat came in to sort out the overcharging, (years ago) they, and the rest of them were on the front line protesting any change.

Citing that they would not make enough for a living.

Really? C'mon we can't overcharge and cheat customers anymore?

They have been on the gravy train forever and now whine that they have to shape up and enter civilization.

30,000B to 45,000B a month is not enough for a average Thai family?

B.S.

First off, don't live beyond your means. (if that's what they actually average)

Secondly, don't have three kids.wai2.gifwai.gif

you are aware that we are discussing bangkok taxi's right?

I suppose the turnover of a BKK taxi-driver is on average 100-200THB per hour, and if they work 10h shifts, that's a total turnover of 1000-2000THB. Not sure how much of that is profit? I'm guessing at least 50%. So that's 500-1000THB profit.

Of course, if they are lucky/clever (and working a night-shift) they'll take people to nightclubs and get paid the commissions (100THB per customer at Mixx, Insanity, Bossy, Spicy, Shock etc. Climax I think pays 100THB per car, not per head) and earn an quick & easy extra few hundred baht off-meter. Or if they are willing they can fish for a Pattaya-fare typically paying 1200-1500THB from BKK to Pattaya and slightly less when driving back (at least 1000THB), which can be done in less than 6 hours.

However you crunch these numbers it seems to me that a taxi-driver should easily make a profit of 800-1000THB per day and thus 20-25k per month depending on how many days they take off. That is not a bad salary in Bangkok for a local.

To add some perspective, consider monthly salaries of other professions (these are figures I've heard from friends so take them with a grain of salt):

Convenience store cashier 8-9k

Low-level Police Officer 5-10k

Local Teacher 10-15k

Low-level office job (secretary, hotel reception) 15-20k

I don't see any reason to increase the "salaries" of taxi-drivers unless the cost of fuel increases.

• Like 1

subsidised lpg you mean

Seriously, I asked one young driver along Sukhumvit, his main stomping grounds....he said he has a wife, 1 kid, and can only afford to go to the brothel twice a week! Not too bad an income I guess... guess he tells the Mrs. he is out with customers...

But many overlook the point that if they pick up people during extreme traffic jams, that meter just crawls, and they burn up gasoline- not turning much of a profit.

Gee....who would have thought a Bangkok taxi driver might have to deal with traffic as part of the job.........

I have a Qld taxi licence and drive cabs wen I am in Oz. The variables are:

Flag fall - $2.90 Mon-Fri 0700-1900, $6.30 2400-0500, $4.30 all other times

Meter - $2.19/km when over ~20km/hr, 79c/min under speed/stopped/waiting

Radio booking fee $1.50 (not applicable here)

Fair earnings will depend on whether you are talking to a driver or driver/owner - very different animals! Oz Driver gets a set percentage of meter (up to 50%), not wages, and is self-employed. No sick/annual leave, super, any of the normal benefits.

The owner has to pay for plates, car set up, maintenance, fuel, radio room fees, often management fees,and replace the car every 6 years. Cars will average 100,000 km/year and good drivers return $1.40/km.

Oz drivers also get to collect GST for the government (1/11th of meter) and so have the delightful pleasure of dealing with the ATO, some of the nicest people on this planet.

• Like 1

I think they ought to raise fares, it has been long time since the last raise and the cost of living

has doubled, and in some case tripled it self since than, it's only fair that they the fares will be

adjusted accordingly...

When were they last raised ?

I don't have Thai inflation figures handy ?

And I normally pay a little more than is on the meter - or sometimes rather more especially if we have been in a long jam.

You must be a Bangkok Taxi driver!

Many times when I hail a Taxi in slow moving traffic the Driver tries to refuse the Fare - saying "Rot Dtit".

My Thai is quite good so, if I am in the mood, I will explain to them the rather obvious fact that they are already in a traffic jam - "burning up gasoline" as you say - however if he has a passenger (i.e. me!) he will at least be earning money while sitting there.

Rather amazingly this logic only seems to penetrate their minds on about 10% of the occasions.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone
  • Like 1

i would WELCOME taxi drivers' starting rate to move up to, say, 50 baht (from the current 35) plus a slightly higher per minute/km rate, PROVIDED they begin behave professionally : not first ask 'where you go?' to decide if they'll take you; automatically start the meter (rather than start it only if you insist). that would be a win/win for them and for us, the customers. perhaps a new challenge for the military government ? it will also boost tourism satisfaction and arrivals.

Maybe it's just me I'm not the type to welcome a fare increase and certainly not a 43% increase! Whether owner driven or on a daily rental its a business(making money stay in,losing money get out,simple as market dictates )sometimes shoddy and far from professional-failure to accept fairs,refusal to" poet meter",rigged meters,,dirty cars,haggard drivers with a Sergio Leone extra look,indirect journeys(taking the scenic route with unsolicited psudo sexual queries ), coarse language,often times unrestrained odium to their paler passengers.And now looking for more subsidies...I don't know if their making too much or not enough-and I don't care Bangkoks arteries are clogged with them a sea of green, gold, red and white and all losing money.....