Looking for round rare earth magnets

Kiniyeow

I guess you mean Neodym magnets. Chiang Mai Plastic also have some but if you want so see a complete variety google for "neodym magnets". But be careful: They are quite dangerous. Some 20 x 5 mm ones caused me serious bruisings at my hands simply by playing around with them.
You'll see you can order them by post from factories in Bangkok.
FolkGuitar, don't make it too exciting --- sounds like some HD scrap by-product ... But where to get them ...?

Edited by rebo

Yes, they need to be round as I use them in woodturning projects. I'm really hoping to find a source local (Chiang Mai) and not have to order them.

I know computer hard drives have strong magnets in them, but for some reason I forgot to bring all my old broken HD's with me when I retired here several years ago. Must be my old age.

I have a few of the neodymium magnets from old hard drives too but to find the size and dimensions you require, I suggest you contact a manufacturer / supplier. I know of one in the UK: http://e-magnetsuk.com/ but I've seen them also on Amazon.com

I suggest Neodymium because they are more durable and have a stronger magnetic field than their Samarium - Cobalt counterpart, though both are 'Rare Earth' magnets. Neodymium is my choice for the design spec of vertical axis wind turbines, which are already in use and they have an design life of 25 years. Make sure the ones you choose are coated or sealed in a casing as they break easily and corrode fast when in their natural state.

FolkGuitar, don't make it too exciting --- sounds like some HD scrap by-product ... But where to get them ...?

That's the ones! I ask for old broken drives, really small capacity ones that don't merit fixing and reselling. I might have to pay 100-200 baht for one, but that gives me two good magnets. I've discovered that the older drives have larger, stronger magnets than the newer ones. There are a few shops in the first computer building to the west, outside the moat, that have sold them to me, and a couple of places in Panthip Plaza too.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the info provided. If I can't find them locally, then I will try the website here in Thailand. I know of several places in the states that sell them online, but these types of magnets are typically treated as hazardous cargo as far as shipping internationally if I'm not mistaken. Besides, I'd really like to find and support local shops any time it's possible.

I use them for Refrigerator magnets, self closing salt box lids, shop tool holders or just about anything else I can dream up.

These uses hardly require the strength of rare earth magnets. You'd have to use small ones because you can damage your fridge with some of these things. Larger ones have been known to break people's fingers when 2 magnets are joined.

I use them for Refrigerator magnets, self closing salt box lids, shop tool holders or just about anything else I can dream up.

These uses hardly require the strength of rare earth magnets. You'd have to use small ones because you can damage your fridge with some of these things. Larger ones have been known to break people's fingers when 2 magnets are joined.

Hmm

Intriguing

Maybe he wants to keeping his invention secret ;)

• Like 1