Retirement visa money question

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first extension it would have to be in an account in your name only for 60 days. For ongoing renewals it has to be in the account for 90 days. The every 90 day requirement is an address report only and no financials are required and most offices will allow you to do it by mail.

If by 'briefly', you mean less than 2 months, I am afraid not.

I have heard of 'agencies' achieving this, although I never knew whether they somehow bypassed the 60/90 day seasoning requirement, or really did lend you the money for that length of time. This is likely against the 'spirit 'of the requirement.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know. I'm in CNX and when I changed from Marriage to Retirement, the only thing I had to show was Income Verification from U.S. Consulate showing I have XXX amount of monthly income, well over the required monthly income figures. Never been asked to show 800k in the bank, only proof if monthly income. Have renewed it 4 times, and it's always the same.

• Like 2

Boy people what is the problem? put money in bank if you don't have the money you don't have the money to live here stay in home country geez. simple. Got enough cheap charlies and crooks here as it is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just because the OP does not have 800,000 baht or 65,000 per month does not mean that he is either a cheap charlie or a crook. Many of us live here on way under that figure.........legally I might add.

It annoys me sometimes that here on TV many posters think that just because they have a bucket load of cash or big pensions that they are the only ones worthy of being able to stay here. We are all contributing to the Thai economy every day no matter how small or great so please get off your high horses.

How can you live here legally if you don't have 800,000 Baht or 65,000 Baht.

I have to show it to get my extension.

And NO i am not a rich man.

• Like 1

Will someone give a quick summary of how much money one needs to show if married to a Thai?

Thanks

you need to show either 400,000 bht in your account or at income of at least 400,000 ie pension or another reckonised income of sorts validated by the embassy i showed income going to my santander account and then transferred here

seems to work for me

Boy people what is the problem? put money in bank if you don't have the money you don't have the money to live here stay in home country geez. simple. Got enough cheap charlies and crooks here as it is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just because the OP does not have 800,000 baht or 65,000 per month does not mean that he is either a cheap charlie or a crook. Many of us live here on way under that figure.........legally I might add.

It annoys me sometimes that here on TV many posters think that just because they have a bucket load of cash or big pensions that they are the only ones worthy of being able to stay here. We are all contributing to the Thai economy every day no matter how small or great so please get off your high horses.

Even if I agree with you that the poster of your quote is way too harsh, you are wrong. You can't live here legally on a retirement visa if you don't have 800k or 65k a month (or combo)

Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know. I'm in CNX and when I changed from Marriage to Retirement, the only thing I had to show was Income Verification from U.S. Consulate showing I have XXX amount of monthly income, well over the required monthly income figures. Never been asked to show 800k in the bank, only proof if monthly income. Have renewed it 4 times, and it's always the same.

Nothing to do with being lucky. You can use the Baht 800,000 in the bank for 2 months (initial application) or 3 months (subsequent applications) OR an affidavit from your embassy showing income of at least Baht 65,000 a month OR you can combine the two approaches to meet the financial minimum. Either method using income does not require that you keep money in the bank for any period of time.

Many, many people use the income or income & bank balance approach, so (surprise, surprise) it's not just you.

Since the O/P wants to borrow money to put in the bank, he probably can't claim sufficient monthly income either (without prevaricating).

Edited by Suradit69

Looked at going to live in Australia: $750,000 in bank and yearly income of $65,000 just for openers if want to retire (other type of retirement is "closed").

i am the same as you i got the monthly income that is way over what i need got the verification as well do you need that every time you apply for your 90 days address? also i am waiting on my 60 day before i go back for extension ,do i need to show that again? as well

I believe it is important to note from current reports that on the combination bank, foreign income option that unlike previous years, the bank funds have to be seasoned. Meaning, in the bank for 2 months, first time and 3 months second time and following years; AT THE TIME THE APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED.

As far as I know, after the approval, all the bank funds can be withdrawn.

I encourage all new applicants to report any current, new Immigration, unwritten or written orders regarding this combination option as there is growing concern and lots of disappointment over the current unwritten order.

Even if I agree with you that the poster of your quote is way too harsh, you are wrong. You can't live here legally on a retirement visa if you don't have 800k or 65k a month (or combo)

Wrong...............some nations have made agreements with Thailand that their citizens can swear to an income and the embassy stamps it. Immigration accepts that paper making it satisfactory for a retirement visa. I have one. No 800 G's or 400 G's in the bank. Never had. And I have a retirement visa.

Yes but you still need to have 65k a month. If you swear to your embassy that you have it. If you don't tell the truth you are not staying here legally. So he was right and you wrong

Wrong...............some nations have made agreements with Thailand that their citizens can swear to an income and the embassy stamps it. Immigration accepts that paper making it satisfactory for a retirement visa. I have one. No 800 G's or 400 G's in the bank. Never had. And I have a retirement visa.

I wrote 800k or 65k a month. So I was right. You have to swear that you have at least 65k..................

whistling.gif You need to be clear about a retirement VISA that you get outside Thailand, and a later I year retirement EXTENSION you can get to stay in Thailand.

In at least some countries you can get a retirement visa, which, depending on the Thai consulate or embassy you get it from, may ask you to show evidence of funds to live in Thailand. Some consulate don't ask that, some do ask.

usually that is evidence of a bank account in your home country.

Once you are in Thailand you can apply to extend your visa a year at a time and that can be done annually.

This EXTESION of the existing VISA that you received from the consulate or embassy outside of Thailand is done at your local immigration in Thailand.

Don't get the two confused, as they have different financial requirements.

What you will need for a requirement extension to your existing visa has the following financial requirements:

1. Evidence for a 65K Baht equivalent monthly income from OUTSIDE of Thailand. This may be a income or a pension source. You can use a income letter from your countries embassy to show this income.
  2. OR a 800K Thai Baht bank account in YOUR name. This bank account may be a savings account or a fixed income account in a Thai or Thailand based bank. Usually, immigration wants that account to be available to you for immediate withdrawal of the funds, a account that requires a notice period before you can withdraw the money is not acceptable. For your first application the money must be in the bank at least for 60 days before you approval, and for annual renewals the funds must be in that account for 90 days before your renewal date. This is called "seasoning" of the funds.
  3. OR a COMBINATION of #1 and #2 that adds up to a total of at least 800K Thai Baht annually. This combination option usually does not require a "seasoning period" for the bank account funds. However there have been reports of some immigration offies insisting on a seasoning period for the bank account funds also.

Borrowing of funds, especially from a source in Thailand is specifically NOT allowed. So, to be clear, you can NOT borrow 800K Baht from a source in Thailand and keep it in you bank account for 90 days to show it to immigration.

It is a no-no.

rolleyes.gif

I disagree 100 percent.

Borrowing the money is not prohibited under any existing Thai written law.
So ipso facto: IT IS ALLOWED.

To follow the law, the money in the bank must be seasoned for two months for the first extension, and three months for subsequent ones when using the 800K bank method.

Yes, there are commercial visa fixers who have methods of providing the funds and based on information I have gleaned, no they do not even bother to season the funds.

Those who have obtained extensions via commercial outfits using dodgy methods, and you know who you are, I am not sure how you sleep at night, but that's your business.

While the visa fixers are obviously "stretching" the law when not actually seasoning the funds, say no more, wink wink nod nod, if you get a loan and season the money you are actually in compliance.

As has been mentioned before, if doing a CONVERSION in Thailand from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to O IN Thailand, then there is a problem because the money is supposed to be IMPORTED FROM ABROAD for that purpose. Whether they enforce that or not is another matter.

Aside from that, there is no requirement that money for extensions be IMPORTED from abroad though.

Many people will likely reckon that the money seasoning rules were instituted to discourage / add extra costs (see wink wink nod nod above) borrowing money for these accounts. Fair enough, they may do that, but that is not the same thing as specifically PROHIBITING the practice.

Edited by Jingthing