Related bodies meet on prevention of Bangkok floods

webfact

Good to see that the Water Management Policy Committee and Gen Chatchai Sarikalya have decreed that flooding only affects Bangkok and that the rest of the country can go fend for itself.

fab insult to beatles fan. I liked your post.... nobody in office gives a real flying fuct about what goes on externally from BKK.

I agree that flooding is controlled, and aimed at places that can take the water weight outside of BKK at a last straw, like Phatumtani.

However, why do you have to then suddenly, again, blame the current government, when you know the PTP fucted it all up in 2011?

Firstly the username fab4 has nothing to do with the beatles, think Dell comics.

secondly, I'm blaming the bangkokcentric attitude of the current "government" because you may not have noticed but the north has been hit by extreme flooding and eight people have died but they decide to hold an urgent meeting to discuss flooding in Bangkok?

and thirdly, other posts have pointed out that the severe flooding of 2011/2012 was made a damn site worse as the result of p*** poor policies of a succession of governments - decisions concerning the water resource management, be it irrigation, hydro electric power or flood prevention involve a plethora agencies. In fighting between the "democrat" Bangkok Governor and the government didn't exactly help matters.

To say that the PTP fucted it all up in 2011 is simplistic, partisan and pointless.

Ok how about last year? Can hardly blame that on the dems, Suthep, or any other of usual suspects you so like to place blame. How many people died last year in floods, how much property damage was recorded? Who said there will be no more flooding?

Good to see that the Water Management Policy Committee and Gen Chatchai Sarikalya have decreed that flooding only affects Bangkok and that the rest of the country can go fend for itself.

fab insult to beatles fan. I liked your post.... nobody in office gives a real flying fuct about what goes on externally from BKK.

I agree that flooding is controlled, and aimed at places that can take the water weight outside of BKK at a last straw, like Phatumtani.

However, why do you have to then suddenly, again, blame the current government, when you know the PTP fucted it all up in 2011?

Firstly the username fab4 has nothing to do with the beatles, think Dell comics.

secondly, I'm blaming the bangkokcentric attitude of the current "government" because you may not have noticed but the north has been hit by extreme flooding and eight people have died but they decide to hold an urgent meeting to discuss flooding in Bangkok?

and thirdly, other posts have pointed out that the severe flooding of 2011/2012 was made a damn site worse as the result of p*** poor policies of a succession of governments - decisions concerning the water resource management, be it irrigation, hydro electric power or flood prevention involve a plethora agencies. In fighting between the "democrat" Bangkok Governor and the government didn't exactly help matters.

To say that the PTP fucted it all up in 2011 is simplistic, partisan and pointless.

They <deleted> up 100% the least they could have done was given out good news about the flooding instead of lying telling people they would be safe.

The flooding came because officials did not release water from the dams before the flood. They were under orders of a politician to keep water high for rice later one.. it coincided with the rice program.

So while you might be right that other previous governments (mostly PTP as they been in charge the longest in recent history) neglected it.. it was the government at the time that made the most mistakes and did not tell the people they were going to be flooded even when it was obvious. That is PTP lying and caused a lot of damage where I live because people had too short a time to prepare.

You can wiggle all you want but i lived through it i followed the news all the time and have vivid recollection of this time. More then a month living in a flooded house stays with you. Had they told us more we would have gone out.. they were too late and we could only move out and leave our dogs to fend for themselves.. no other options.. so we stayed taking care of the dogs.

Flashback to AFTER Yingluck's government was overthrown:

Met Dept: Thailand not expected to face major flood this year

BANGKOK, 23 June 2014 (NNT) – The Meteorological Department said that Thailand is unlikely to face another major flood this year, as less rains are expected compared to last year.

During the celebration of the 72nd anniversary of the department’s establishment, the weather bureau said the overall volume of rainfall will not be as high as that of last year, as most of the rainwater has already been accumulated in the southern and western regions.

et cetera.....

nntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.5C6sHNTwTn.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-23

wai2.gif

They could be like Yingluck. Once the flood waters receded, she went on her business of promoting and financing the development of shopping centers in the north. After all, people can seek refuge in the food court. No need to improve street drainage systems. It's too late to do anything about this year's flooding.

Is it a requirement for all Thai PM's to be hands on for every issue 365 days a year or just certain political parties? I also didn't realise that Yingluck had a business of "promoting and financing development of shopping centres in the north".

I suppose it could have been worse, a PM could have been on holiday with their family in the Maldives when the floods hit Bangkok and have their Party spokesman lie on their behalf by stating the PM was in Bangkok helping the flood effort, not in the Maldives at all............coffee1.gif

http://asiancorrespondent.com/67990/facts-and-rumors-in-politics/

Your link says he was leader of the opposition then. Have you run out of things to say about Abhisit that might be nearly true? PS Where was Suthep then? That has got to be worth a try.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Bangkok And places like Ayutthaya Lopburi etc lie in a flood plain of the river. Its a large flood plain.

Most of the water from the highlands drains through Bangkok. The highlands are North west, North, and Northeast.

The top part of Thailand tends to drain through Bangkok. The ocean has high tides at the same time as the floods occur.

Water runs downhill as we know. Its difficult to avoid the flood plain from being flooded each year but it could be done with channels cut to take the water to other areas out to sea.

The bureaucrats talked about it but did nothing, why was that? A big project and they could scoop their usual percentage off it as always but eventually these channels would be built!

And be helpful. Why not. I tell u why not. They couldn't agree on the divvy thats why not!

I actually talked to one of the guys on these projects (last incarnation two years ago). I suggested they take those huge cement trapezium shaped risers that were put up for roads they will never finish -- many have squatters using them as one wall to temporary dwellings, and all are covered with three or more years of vegetation -- I suggested they use them to build river walls and have students paint murals on them. They actually fit together nicely -- like jigsaw pieces, with one up and one down. The cement was already paid for, and Thailand would only have to assume movement costs (way below any new construction costs).

You can guess what he told me. He said two things make that impossible. One, using them for something else would make the original road builders lose face. Two, he said, any idea that does not come from leaders is impossible -- suggestions from subordinates make the bosses lose face. I was waiting for him to tell me that explaining this made him lose face, so I changed the subject so I did not lose face. Then we stopped talking as we sat there, so no one could lose face. Of course, typing this might make us both lose face, so I am saying maybe I dreamed the whole scenario, and that way neither of us ever loses face, but I just told you that. So now to save face for everyone, I am saying someone hacked my account and made all this up, and now no one loses face at all.

I expect a full apology from Thai Visa, even though it is not their fault, so they do not lose face either, but since I am asking them I am losing face by asking them to lose face. Okay, let's try something else. I am asking the reader to accept that the hacker is posing as me trying to save face, and that way you do not lose face reading me talking about losing face by asking Thai Visa to lose face........please notice I did not ask you to forget what I implied, because that would not make anyone lose face unless you object. Please don't.

I hope no one reads this. They might lose face by not losing face, and that would make the hacker and myself both lose face (if we existed, which we don't, by the way).

If I was here, which I am not, I might think I had embraced Thainess, which I didn't.

Wasn't the sunset beautiful?

PS: Please don't tell anyone to read this -- it would confuse the issue.

Edited by FangFerang

preventive measures against flooding in Bangkok

it is too late ....they build every where the professional of the question (also many farangs ingeniere) told them not to build.

but the market never listen, they prefer money today and tomorow we will see,...also all anterior government closed their eyes in front of the evidences, also like for the hypotetic tsunami in the andaman sea who came and devasted what we know now.

all over bkk the water is underneath coming from the sea and invading the city and there is nothing to do about it.

coffee1.gif

The best prevention to keep Bangkok free of water is to make from all the surrounding provinces buffer basins.It sound maybe a little strange but if we can keep the water in Nonthaburi for only 3 months and just 2 meter deep then Bangkok is safe.

Oh.. sh@t ... this is the same as the 2012 plan...

It seems to me I remember reading a story about folks wanting the drains cleaned out to help with drainage. In this sub-tropical environment vegetation grows along with refuse collecting in these drains and canals. If I were PM instructing an immediate clearing of these would be my first order of business.

Whereas us Farangs know better and buy our houses where the floods cannot reach us.

And our sewers are so large you can walk around in them.

409988696.jpg

I really have to wonder city planners (of any country) were thinking when they designed a sewer system that's barely a half meter wide and deep, in a country that regularly gets drenched by monsoons.

Whereas us Farangs know better and buy our houses where the floods cannot reach us.

And our sewers are so large you can walk around in them.

409988696.jpg

I really have to wonder city planners (of any country) were thinking when they designed a sewer system that's barely a half meter wide and deep, in a country that regularly gets drenched by monsoons.

I see you are not so long here....this Thai planning....

Discuss ? Do what you did last time. Close all the sluice gates around rangsit, PT, etc and let us all suffer 2m of water for 3 months whilst Bangkok is saved.....

Hopefully they might discuss how to say thank you for the 10s of thousands of families around here who lost everything last time. They should come and see the water lines still on buildings to see the hell that was caused. So many empty buildings still where people never returned or couldnt afford to fix the damage.. Livelihoods lost, people not being able to work and not being paid for 3 months.

They should simply discuss how to stop that nightmare happening again in Lamlukka and the bordering districts. Bugger Bangkok this time....

Good to see that they are doing SOMETHING other than organising committees, allocating budgets, talking a lot and actually doing nothing apart from spending the budget which is all the PTP ever did.

IIRC the Army literally bailed the PTP out every year around this time and got no thanks from them for it. OTOH the Thai people were grateful to the Army every time.

They could be like Yingluck. Once the flood waters receded, she went on her business of promoting and financing the development of shopping centers in the north. After all, people can seek refuge in the food court. No need to improve street drainage systems. It's too late to do anything about this year's flooding.

Is it a requirement for all Thai PM's to be hands on for every issue 365 days a year or just certain political parties? I also didn't realise that Yingluck had a business of "promoting and financing development of shopping centres in the north".

I suppose it could have been worse, a PM could have been on holiday with their family in the Maldives when the floods hit Bangkok and have their Party spokesman lie on their behalf by stating the PM was in Bangkok helping the flood effort, not in the Maldives at all............coffee1.gif

http://asiancorrespondent.com/67990/facts-and-rumors-in-politics/

And worst of all he wasn't in power anyway so it didn't matter.

What is the problem? YL said, in mid 2012, that the THB 120 billion flood rehabilitation and prevention plan would be completed in August 2012.

I don't remember any of it being spent for Bangkok.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"As chairman of the committee, Gen Chatchai Sarikalya discussed with representatives from various agencies, including the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, about short-term measures to be taken to stave off flooding both in inner and outer Bangkok."

Hope someone has told the General where the water is coming from?

I was in Suhkumvit Road 2 years ago after a heavy downfall. The road was flooded. But standing under a tree was a rat trying to get away from the flood waters. No one was worried about the rat that seemed to share the side walk equally with everyone else. Maybe the rats are smarter than the people in charge?

• 1 month later...