Ekhamai Or Morchit?

thaigerd

Planning to come for long weekend to Pattaya at the end of the month from Phuket.

But will fly to BKK first and stay there for one day.

What's the better option from BKK: Ekhamai or Morchit?

Thanks!

Gerd

It depends on where you will be staying. Ekamai is right on a Skytrain stop, if you are staying somewhere near a Skytrain stop, for instance Sukhumvit Road or the Siam area, you simply hop on the Skytrain.

Morchit is not off a Skytrain stop, but it is a little closer to the airport if you want to skip Bangkok and head to Pattaya directly. Figure on somewhere close to 120 baht for the ride from either place. Take the VIP airconditioned bus with the toilet onboard.

Have fun in Pattaya.

Is Morchit the "Mo chit" BTS out at Weekendmarket?

Mo Chit BTS and Mo Chit bus station are in the same general area and therefore share the same name. However, they are not really that close to each other, the distance between them being around 1.5 km as the crows flies and probably twice that following the roads.

To get from one to the other you really need to take a taxi.

Sophon

Thanks Sophon, then Ekhamai sounds better but I read somewhere that the bus from Ekhamai takes a longer/more stops way to Pattaya - True? Also does the bus goes often?

I have never taken the bus from Mo Chit so I don't know for sure, but any difference in transport time would in my opinion be marginal. From Ekkamai it takes in the region of two hours to get to Pattaya, but it of course depends a little on what time of day you are travelling.

The bus leaves Ekkamai approximately every 20 minutes all day long.

Sophon

Thanks Sophon, then Ekhamai sounds better but I read somewhere that the bus from Ekhamai takes a longer/more stops way to Pattaya - True? Also does the bus goes often?

Make sure you catch the "blue & white" Pattaya Direct bus, cost 117 baht.

Don't be persuaded to "jump on" the "orange stripe" but which I think goes to Jomtien via Pattaya as this is the bus that stops at every stop on the way and takes up to twice as long!

It's a favorite trick for someone to catch you on the outside of the bus station, ask you if you're going to Pattaya and then say "come quick, bus leaving now!" :o:D

The problem with taking the 'V.I.P.bus with toilet on board' is that you do not actually have a choice, you either take the next bus which may or not be 'The Motorway' bus or you wait until the 'Motorway bus' runs which could be in two hours time. I think all the buses have a toilet on board, but I have never braved them!

Edited by fisherd3

The problem with taking the 'V.I.P.bus with toilet on board' is that you do not actually have a choice, you either take the next bus which may or not be 'The Motorway' bus or you wait until the 'Motorway bus' runs which could be in two hours time. I think all the buses have a toilet on board, but I have never braved them!

The milk run bus I took by mistake (many years ago) DID NOT have a toilet on board! The AirCon was at almost freezing, before the 4 hours was up I was looking for a bottle to pee in!

Planning to come for long weekend to Pattaya at the end of the month from Phuket.

But will fly to BKK first and stay there for one day.

What's the better option from BKK: Ekhamai or Morchit?

Thanks!

Gerd

Morchit is nearer the airport and marginally quicker as you don't have to fight the traffic on Suk . On the downside buses from Ekhamai are very frequent, buses from Morchit are not. Last time I used Morchit I waited 1 hour 20 mins for the next bus and this was at about 5 pm . Unless you are lucky with bus schedules Ekhamai is the way to get to funtown quicker.

morchit is minutes from airport and MUCH quicker. further, you dont need go thru bkk and the bus takes less time. much better option. i would never go to ekamai from airport unless i intend/ed to stay in bkk one nt.

morchit is minutes from airport and MUCH quicker. further, you dont need go thru bkk and the bus takes less time. much better option. i would never go to ekamai from airport unless i intend/ed to stay in bkk one nt.

Thanks for ur help!

I "have to stay" for one night in BKK unfortunately :o

Gerd

The toilet on the bus is still cleaner than the ones at the bus stations. :o

• 1 month later...

if you only have 1 night in bkk, may i suggest the woraburi hotel on suk. soi 4. good quality for low price. look it up.

also, my friend stays at the rex hotel near ekamai which is convenient. look online for some details for both. the woraburi has a free shuttle (large tuk tuk) pick up service from the nana hotel. make sure you take their tel. #.

FYI I made the trip yesterday and was told the last bus from Ekamai is at 11:00 PM and Morchit is 9:00 PM. I took the 7:50 PM bus and was told that there were no more "Motorway" buses for today. Ended up going through Ban Chabeng and Sri Lacha, but total time was still only 2.0 hours (This was a sunday night!).

Suday AM to Mochit was under 2 hours, price each way 130 Baht, what a deal!