Are the machines destroying Thai culture?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids are obssessed with technology, yet the government does not allow calculators (a tool) to be used in Thai government schools...go figure!

Until about grade 10 when learning more advanced math, a calculator shouldn't be needed/allowed.

Students should practice doing simple math without a calculator.

When asking grade 10 what is 36 divided by 9 they get their calculators.

Very sad

Although a calculator can do it, I think education is training the mind to think.

I can get the answer faster than they can push the buttons. Students are impressed but I feel they can also use their brain.

• Like 2

Now the Luddite is claiming Wikipedia as his infallible source. Do you have any idea how Wikipedia is put together? Put your teeth back in and sit back down in your chair Grampa.

A Luddite and proud of it.

I'll take Wikipedia over you any day.

Aha, Gramps you really are just one big mass of ridiculous contradictions. A purportedly proud Luddite who loves Internet forums and Wikipedia. Go tell! But I am sure you don't really understand what I am talking about, or you'll have forgotten it by the end of this sentence. What were we talking about again? Yes, the weathers been pretty wet up here in Lanna lately.

Stop moaning all of you. Mobile phones and tablets have made many things possible that we're only previously a dream. If your one of those moaning you are either too thick to work one or too old, or a combination of both.

Right, now cellphones kill people when you drive & text.

Enjoy technology progress, and dig your hole! (combination of both) :)

• Like 1

Does anyone actually know what Thai, let alone other people, of different age groups use their mobile devices for?

Is it for a conversation? Is it for the basic, Mum pick me up stuff? Is it for taking pictures of self and others? Is it for accessing games? Is it for accessing informational websites? And so on.....

Mechanical devices and technologies have transformed the world from the wheel via the agricultural revolutions to today. It is not just electronic devices. Thai agriculture has also been transformed by the availability of tractors and harvester to plough and harvest rice.

Is there something special about phones and pads?

Phones and pads They have clearly transformed the ease of communication between friends and families and businesses beyond what TOT and CAT were able to offer in Thailand. Is there a downside?

Well I think there are downsides in terms of the participation in social and other events. No-one I know would permit the use of a mobile phone by an adult or a child at a meal, formal or informal. True; I have seen couples go into restaurants and consult their phones and pads separately and to the exclusion of the other for an hour.

The whole selfie thing is I think complete narcissism, which is a matter connected as much to the Thai notion of self-image as much as to the technology.

There is also the issue of consumption and production. I live in a world where it is more important, and profitable, to produce rather than consume, whether it is rice, garden produce, painting, clothes etc rather than go out and buy things. So as I see it, the phones and tabs encourage so much time 'consuming' the content virtual or informational available that nothing is, as a consequence, ever made or produced. Even a computer interface allows for the transformation of information into something new.

Of course I think people spend too much time gossiping about nothing!

Edited by laolover88
  • Like 1

Stop moaning all of you. Mobile phones and tablets have made many things possible that we're only previously a dream. If your one of those moaning you are either too thick to work one or too old, or a combination of both.

like wasting time and doing nothing usefull ?

anyways thai culture consists of sitting on ones ass gazing into the distance so whats the loss ?

the diabetes figures confirm the worst fears