Ex-graft buster Jaruvan to be indicted

webfact

Ex-graft buster to be indicted
The Nation

30242574-01_big.jpg
Jaruvan

Jaruvan, accomplice to be charged for falsely claiming to have held seminar

BANGKOK: -- The attorney general has signed an order for the prosecution of former auditor-general Khunying Jaruvan Maintaka for allegedly falsely claiming to have held a seminar so members of her staff could file claims for travel expenses.

Wanchai Rujanawong, spokesman for the Office of the Attorney-General, told the press yesterday that Attorney General Trakul Winijanaipak had signed the prosecution order on August 26.

The order endorses the National Anti-Corruption Commis-sion's decision to arraign Jaruvan and an alleged accomplice on malfeasance charges in Criminal Court.

Two in collaboration

The NACC found that Jaruvan, while she was auditor-general, had collaborated with Kamphi Somjai, then director of the Human Resources Administration Division of the Office of the Auditor-General, to state falsely that her office had held a seminar in Nan on October 31, 2003.

The NACC alleged that the seminar was falsely claimed to have taken place so Jaruvan's staff in the Auditor-General's Office could seek reimbursements for travel and accommodation expenses. However, her staff allegedly travelled to Nan to attend a merit-making ceremony. Further investigation showed that the seminar had never been held.

The NACC decided to have Jaruvan and Kamphi charged with violating Articles 157 and 83 of the Criminal Code, and passed the case over to the Office of the Attorney-General on August 29, 2013.

Year spent gathering evidence

When the attorney-general argued that the case lacked details and enough evidence, the public prosecutors and the NACC set up a joint panel to investigate the case further.

Wanchai said the joint panel spent a year gathering more evidence and further investigating the case before sending it back for the attorney-general's approval on August 26 this year.

The spokesman said the NACC was now required to take Jaruvan and Kamphi to the public prosecutors' office to hear the prosecution order.

The case will be passed on to the Special Cases 5 Office so the two suspects can be charged in court, Wanchai said.

When Jaruvan was auditor-general during the second tenure of Thaksin Shinawatra as prime minister, she built a reputation as a graft-buster when she came out to warn the public against alleged irregularities in some mega-projects.

After the 2006 coup was staged, Jaruvan was appointed as member of the Assets Examination Committee that launched several graft cases against Thaksin. She was also elected as a Bangkok senator, but has not been able to take office as the military dissolved the Senate after again seizing power on May 22 this year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Ex-graft-buster-to-be-indicted-30242574.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-05

She should have held the damn seminar. It wouldn't have been too difficult. Some times it's difficult to believe how stupid these people are. Why not hold a seminar and merit making on the same trip?

Perhaps some of the people who "claimed" expenses didn't even know they went on the junket.

• Like 1

This junket happened almost 10 years ago. Who has she upset to have the charges finally laid?

That's a long time ago, it makes me wonder if someone's trying to get some old investigations reopened because of her now proven corruption dating back ten years.

What would they do in the west if a prosecutor was proven to be corrupt 10 years ago ? I'm pretty sure every case they ever worked on woud be scrutinised.

• Like 2

She who was being touted by many on this forum as some kind of Mother Teresa-like saviour from corruption. What about the allegation that she pressured Thai Airways to provide free tickets for her kids to go to Moscow? And didn't she appoint her son as her secretary?.Oh, it can't be true, surely.

• Like 2

What a wonderful, kind and considerate boss arranging a fake seminar so her staff could claim expenses.

I'm auditor-general, who is going to audit me ?

I wonder how many of the staffers that "claimed" expenses for the junket even knew about it. She could have easily invoiced for 100 attendees and only taken 10 on the merit making trip. This would be a lot like state enterprises having phantom non existent employees on their payroll.

• Like 1

She who was being touted by many on this forum as some kind of Mother Teresa-like saviour from corruption. What about the allegation that she pressured Thai Airways to provide free tickets for her kids to go to Moscow? And didn't she appoint her son as her secretary?.Oh, it can't be true, surely.

Was that her? Same person?

She should have held the damn seminar. It wouldn't have been too difficult. Some times it's difficult to believe how stupid these people are. Why not hold a seminar and merit making on the same trip?

Perhaps some of the people who "claimed" expenses didn't even know they went on the junket.

To actually organize and hold a seminar involves some serious work and that's not the favorite pass time among officials here.

To actually organize and hold a seminar involves some serious work and that's not the favorite pass time among officials here.

When I used my marketing budget in a previous job to hold seminars I'd always take photos of the guests eating at the venue. This was in case some backstabber came after me with false allegations 3-4 years later. This lady thought she was untouchable. No one is untouchable not even the PM or the top graft buster.

• Like 1

Yes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/716627-group-asks-ec-not-to-endorse-jaruvan/

• Like 2

If they do have the goods on her and she is dirty, then I am amazed. I thought she was made of better and sterner stuff than that.

Now it seems so obvious why she was her desperate to hold her post as auditor general during the Thaksin administration, citing royal appointment, and despite rules that required her to leave.

I remember a quote from that time- "Fighting with Thaksin is hard. But fighting with Jaruvan is harder."

She wasn't in it for the good of the country, she was in it to ride the gravy train and whitewash all of her transgressions.

On second thought, I am not so amazed. She is a politician in Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

This junket happened almost 10 years ago. Who has she upset to have the charges finally laid?

That's a long time ago, it makes me wonder if someone's trying to get some old investigations reopened because of her now proven corruption dating back ten years.

What would they do in the west if a prosecutor was proven to be corrupt 10 years ago ? I'm pretty sure every case they ever worked on woud be scrutinised.

If the prosecutor was found to have falsified evidence or otherwise prejudiced a case, yes. But financial irregularities (to be kind) are no indication that her work was flawed.

• Like 1

Is this the same lady who had a huge house built and said it

only cost 3M. THB,looking at it i would have said the windows

alone would cost that,floor to ceiling windows.I never heard

anymore about that,like lots of things in Thailand,under the

mat,and forgotten about.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

mat,and forgotten about.

regards Worgeordie

Thailand the hub of big carpets.

Yes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/716627-group-asks-ec-not-to-endorse-jaruvan/

How could they do this to her.

She is a Christian, and Christian are honest people.

After all she had done (falstify evident or not I don't know) to jail Thaksin, instead of honor her as the country top heroine together with the supreme great leader General Prime Minister Prayuth, she is to be investigated for criminal doing, now that she is no longer needed.

mat,and forgotten about.

regards Worgeordie

Same lady - although some reports are that it cost 2.x million Baht.

I believe her - that she only forked out 2.x million Baht. The actual house cost >>10 million.

The difference was paid by various people/companies who owed her (or per position) a "favour". Of course, being an honourable decorated Khunying, she can be trusted not to treat those anonymous donors with undue bias in her subsequent decisions.

Needless to say, the chance of her being convicted is negligible.

Edited by tx22cb
  • Like 1

If the prosecutor was found to have falsified evidence or otherwise prejudiced a case, yes. But financial irregularities (to be kind) are no indication that her work was flawed.

I'd say it's a little more than "financial irregularities", She is the so-called anti graft buster of Thaksin, so now it's her honesty, integrity, and professionalism are all called into question, so yeaqh why not have a closer look at her work?

• Like 1

Yes.

I don't see anyone in that thread praising her in the terms you describe, not even close; fact most argue that all corruption should be investigated and prosecuted.

A clear example of a strawman argument.

Yes.

I don't see anyone in that thread praising her in the terms you describe, not even close; fact most argue that all corruption should be investigated and prosecuted.

A clear example of a strawman argument.

You can see a number of threads discussing her on TVF. Much praise...undeserved.