Australia Network Terminated 28 Sept

gkroo

The following below info received from the ABC Facebook page for all that are interested.

"Quote"

It is with much regret that, after many years of broadcasting into the region, I must inform you of the termination of the Australia Network TV service.

As you may be aware, the ABC has been forced to terminate the service following the Australian Government’s withdrawal of its funding. The ABC has developed a new service to fulfil its obligations to broadcast internationally however, at this point in time, this does not include a widely available television channel.

We will be terminating the Australia Network service at 12.00 midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on Sunday, the 28th of September. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you wish to know more about accessing blocks of our programming which we are making available for limited syndication to local networks then please address enquiries to Michael Bishay in our International Services department. Michael can be contacted at [email protected]

Thank you for your support of Australia Network and the ABC over the years and we hope that one day in the future we may be able to partner with you again.

Yours Sincerely,

Lynley Marshall
CEO ABC International

"Unquote"

Bloody shame.

Very un Australian. Most of the shows were pretty crappy, but was good for watching the footy and v8 race cars.

Krisb ...crappy shows ? you mean like the multi award winning 4 Corners, Foreign correspondent, Insight ,Q & A, Australian, World , Business news,etc etc, the excellent "Learning English "

shows which all my students used to watch. Travel and Food programs showcasing Australia to the world, a huge interest for incoming tourism.

But typical of politicians,who have never lived in the real world ,they can something that actually benefits the country not just expats.

An Florida based friend is taking his family to Tasmania purely based on what he saw on a ABC doumentary. The Libs just hate the ABC and SBS and would bring the whole lot down given the chance

Channel new Asia is funded by the Singapore Government ,a spokesman recently said what it cost is returned 10 fold by investment and tourism.

I'm sorry Krisb you will miss the footie and the V8 cars but for some of us there's a bit more to life.

Why would your students be watching someone else teach?

Whats wrong with watching sports btw?

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad at this decision....it kind of represents the Abbott admin's attitude to "foreigners" I think.

Why waste money talking to them?

It also mean for those in Thailand that their is one less alternative source for news about the country.

I really think that the "white Australia" mentality has been allowed to make the decisions here and although it will be hard to quality the damage done, it will undoubtedly be done

Bloody shame.

Very un Australian. Most of the shows were pretty crappy, but was good for watching the footy and v8 race cars.

Krisb ...crappy shows ? you mean like the multi award winning 4 Corners, Foreign correspondent, Insight ,Q & A, Australian, World , Business news,etc etc, the excellent "Learning English "

shows which all my students used to watch. Travel and Food programs showcasing Australia to the world, a huge interest for incoming tourism.

But typical of politicians,who have never lived in the real world ,they can something that actually benefits the country not just expats.

An Florida based friend is taking his family to Tasmania purely based on what he saw on a ABC doumentary. The Libs just hate the ABC and SBS and would bring the whole lot down given the chance

Channel new Asia is funded by the Singapore Government ,a spokesman recently said what it cost is returned 10 fold by investment and tourism.

I'm sorry Krisb you will miss the footie and the V8 cars but for some of us there's a bit more to life.

Why would your students be watching someone else teach?

Whats wrong with watching sports btw?

Why would your students read a book when you could speak to them instead??????

You obviously know notthing about teaching.....the Aussie network supplies loads of valuable EL materials.

Edited by wilcopops