Phitsanulok vs. Nakhon Sawon to break up train?

hermespan

I am travelling light and wish to break up that gruelking train ride from Chiang Mai to Hualompong.

Have any readers visited both places? I have only been to N.

Factors of relevance...

1. Selection of vegetarian food

2. Good value guesthouses/hotels near train station

3. hotsprings/nightlife/beautiful temples (OK, dreaming)

Yes. Nakhon Sawan is already quite close to Bangkok too, and it's a pretty ordinary town.

Phitsanulok is already better, and you also have the option of visiting nearby Sukhothai.

Or, a very interesting place is Lopburi. This is also closer to Bangkok but really nice. Many historical sites inside the town; right next to the railway station even.

Do check that it works with the train arrival times.. Best not to arrive somewhere in the middle of the night, like you would with Phitsanulok taking the sleeper train.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

A matter of opinion of course that train is worse than bus. In my experience and opinion the train is better because of comfort, safety and scenery. Plus it has a charm that the bus does not. It is also more social - passengers a tually talk to each other on the train. No security check (though passport number required). No having to be at departure point way in advance. Can ship ahead luggage all way to Bangkok unaccompanied fir under THB100. Train station is a ten minute songthaew ride from where I stay in Chiang Mai. Terrorists prefer airplanes. Huomphong is near an MRT and Chinatown. I could get off far in advance of destination.

A tually I might bus it from Phitsanulok to BKK but that is unlikely.

Edited by hermespan

I just bought a r/t CNX/DM for 1230 THB.......leave at noon, return flight at 2 pm. Train is worse than the bus, and twice as much........

Which airline? Is that the return fare including tax?

Air Asia, yes bottom line, I saved about 160 thb by paying direct from my bank account, instead of credit card....595+595+40......There is about a 25% chance that the train will be delayed for longer than it takes to fly to BKK.

A matter of opinion of course that train is worse than bus. In my experience and opinion the train is better because of comfort, safety and scenery. Plus it has a charm that the bus does not. It is also more social - passengers a tually talk to each other on the train. No security check (though passport number required). No having to be at departure point way in advance. Can ship ahead luggage all way to Bangkok unaccompanied fir under THB100. Train station is a ten minute songthaew ride from where I stay in Chiang Mai. Terrorists prefer airplanes. Huomphong is near an MRT and Chinatown. I could get off far in advance of destination.

why would you ride the train? you can fly for about 1300-1700 round trip. all the airlines have promo fares now. trains are terrible in Thailand, filthy, uncomfortable and dangerous. flying is the only way to travel.

Air Asia direct payment works only with one or two Thai bank cards - unfortunately not the two Thai banks I use.

I don't have a Thai bank card. It allowed me to use my BKK Bank savings account. No fee from bkk bank, but they charge me 12 thb to pay my condo fee online.

why would you ride the train? you can fly for about 1300-1700 round trip. all the airlines have promo fares now. trains are terrible in Thailand, filthy, uncomfortable and dangerous. flying is the only way to travel.

For the views and general experience. Thailand does actually get tourists and others who enjoy seeing and experiencing the place.

But yes, when travel is only a way to get to a different place quickly and conveniently, then you fly. But travel can be something else too.

Write 100 times: "Not everyone on this forum is 100% like me."

• Like 2

It is really hard to talk to people who are not into having new experiences.

I for one am interested in taking the train to Bangkok just for the experience and the scenery as I have never had a chance to see much of it in Thailand.

I have many friends who say it is no good and good for them. I still want the experience. If money is not an object I might consider chartering a plane but the difference between a train and a bus is to me immaterial. Generally if I go to Bangkok I fly Bangkok air.Perhaps the day will come when I take the train. I am not impressed with the bus rides. Taken enough of them.