NLA to vote on provisions for impeachment of lawmakers

Lite Beer

NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
NLA to vote on provisions for impeachment of lawmakers
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Draft also includes guidelines on termination of assembly membership

The National Legislative Assembly is expected to vote on Thursday on whether to accept a draft directive that includes provisions on impeachment of political office-holders.

NLA directives drafting committee spokesman Tuang Untachai said yesterday that the committee had completed the draft, which features 17 chapters and one transitory provision made up of 221 Articles, most of which were similar to the 2006 Assembly's directives.

Tuang said the draft also included provisions on the termination of NLA membership, which stipulated that members who fail to attend NLA meetings to vote at one-third of meetings held in a 90 day period would face having their membership terminated unless the NLA chairman gave them permission.

The NLA comprises 16 standing committees plus a whip committee. Each member is allowed to take positions in two committees at most and can take the committee chairperson post in one committee.

As the interim charter stipulates that members serve both as a senator and an MP, they can impeach political office-holders.

Tuang said the drafting committee did not intend to include this chapter to impeach any official in particular but was bound to include it because senators have an impeachment responsibility.

The provisions on impeachment have four parts.

The first part features impeachment proceedings in accordance with the National Anti-Corruption Law, which is the constitution organic law.

This part also touches on details about complaints, accused political office-holders and damaged parties. It also features the timeframe of impeachment proceedings.

The second part features impeachment in accordance with other laws such as the National Human Rights Commission law and public prosecutor laws.

The third part identifies who can seek impeachment and stipulates that those who are entitled to seek impeachment can request Parliament launch impeachment proceedings against officials in accordance with the constitution organic law on the auditor general, the anti-money laundering law, the frequency regulators and the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission law, as well as other related laws.

This part also identifies impeachment procedures.

The last part features impeachment decisions. The draft identifies how Parliament carries out impeachment proceedings and votes to terminate the membership of political office-holders in accordance with the laws mentioned above.

The draft also stipulates that Parliament calls a secret vote. After the vote is called, the Parliament president reveals the decision to the National Anti-Corruption Commission or related agencies, the accused and impeachment officials including the Cabinet secretary-general.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NLA-to-vote-on-provisions-for-impeachment-of-lawma-30242705.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-07

I would have liked to see the "fail to be present" rule a bit more strict. Now it seems that if there's one vote meeting in 90 days and a member is present that day, but absent all of the other days, he's complying. Being present during general gatherings for most of the time unless offering acceptable reasoning to be absent would not be too restrictive I hope.

Mind you, I'm not sure how strict the rules were for the elected parliament, if any.

• Like 1

The secret vote is the best part. It will protect some against possible repercussions.

I'm more impressed with the fact that after one meeting and two weeks in office the NLA thinks it may be infiltrated with members so bad that it rather urgently needs some way to get rid of them. I thought these were carefully vetted people with high integrity. What went wrong?

Frankly, nothing but "bells and whistles" to yet another government created by a coup. I would be more impressed with Thailand having a permanent constitution that cannot be violated, suspended or voided by independent "agencies" except by a majority of democratically-elected representatives that represent the Thai People.

Frankly, nothing but "bells and whistles" to yet another government created by a coup. I would be more impressed with Thailand having a permanent constitution that cannot be violated, suspended or voided by independent "agencies" except by a majority of democratically-elected representatives that represent the Thai People.

What happens in your utopia when the democratically elected majority represent their own interests, lie, cheat, steal, disobey the law and turn a blind eye to assaults, murder and intimidation of their opponents and the judiciary?

Or to you believe politicians should be above the law?

The secret vote is the best part. It will protect some against possible repercussions.

I'm more impressed with the fact that after one meeting and two weeks in office the NLA thinks it may be infiltrated with members so bad that it rather urgently needs some way to get rid of them. I thought these were carefully vetted people with high integrity. What went wrong?

No den mother to keep them in check.

On a more 'serious' note, maybe it's those non-military members rolleyes.gif

Maybe change the 'majority' into '2/3 majority' as in 66.6% ?