Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

We're going to use the pound.

Then Scotland won't actually be independent, unless it's the Scottish Pound issued by a Scottish central bank. Has that been confirmed and agreed with the BoE and English Parliament?

Of course it hasn't.

But all of these details should have been worked out and agreed before the vote so that Scots knew what they were voting on.

This isn't fair on the Scots.

Actually it's very fair - it's what is in use in Scotland now -- just continue. Did UK sort out all the details of currency when they went decimal? Certainly not wink.png Westminster is the problem - not the English wink.png

But it has not been confirmed before the vote.

Do you understand what I am saying?

This is not fair on the Scots to treat them like this. Get the details of everything agreed first without this acrid hate and then put it to a vote.

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable :(

Scotland has said they want to use the pound -- Westminster is stalling,,,,,,,

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your alluding to the rise of UKIP, you could't be more wrong ...

I wasn't so the rest of your post was wasted. thumbsup.gif They (our partners in the EU) were being referred to as the Krauts, Frogs etc long before Farage made his entrance. Why is that the English have these derogatory names for just about every other significant nationality? Is it a need to look down on, or sneer at everyone? I've never understood nor wished to be associated with it.

Who exactly,certainly not me, thou I have heard Scottish Nationalist throw many insults at the English, as well as at other people.

If your alluding to the rise of UKIP, you could't be more wrong ...

I wasn't so the rest of your post was wasted. thumbsup.gif They (our partners in the EU) were being referred to as the Krauts, Frogs etc long before Farage made his entrance. Why is that the English have these derogatory names for just about every other significant nationality? Is it a need to look down on, or sneer at everyone? I've never understood nor wished to be associated with it.

Who exactly,certainly not me, thou I have heard Scottish Nationalist throw many insults at the English, as well as at other people.

I'm reminded of the Tories in Westminster laughing at the thought of the oil revenues going straight to the Scottish parliament.

Hey transam....many of us HAVE considered our position very carefully.....you are insulting us to suggest otherwise.

Like I said....its a leap into the unknown....but we have faith in sorting our own future.

What is the UK offering apart from tuition fees, a semi privatised NHS, exclusion from the EU, a billion pounds a week in debt payments and a Tory government we would never vote for?

Tell me tell me?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, I am far from insulting. Don't even go there eh. As an English guy your SNP has NOT given you the answers for YOU to go forward. Absolutely nothing, if I can see it Why can't you...?

The present UK gov is crap, WE ALL KNOW THAT, it is NOT a Conservative voted in gov. IT IS A CRAP DUO, we know that but that is how stuff is.

If you think all will be better if a YES vote, you are ___________Cos the YES folk have Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo answers have they, HAVE THEY...?

So stuff is crap and we should just put up with it and drink some warm beer?

Well I am not against the warm beer....and indeed I have no plan to remain long term residing in Scotland....but to me our kids have a better future in an independent Scotland....right now our society is badly prejudiced against poorer kids....and I want to see them have a fair crack at a better future.

The UK is broken transam.....and a no vote won't fix that.

You say you have no plans to remain in Scotland. Wise decision. Congratulations that's the first sensible thing you said in this thread .Where will you go to live,England.Just make sure you tick the "YES" box before you jump ship.

I see Lord transam has still not offered us his vision for a better Britain....together in union.

What's wrong mate?

Surely you're not shy? :-P

Now how did you know my ancestor was a Lord..........whistling.gif

I am not a politician, or business man. All I know is the union has done well, we ALL have security that we fought for. To me the breaking up of the union because of a few gung-ho folk is a travesty. That is my view.

BUT, since this stuff started I have read a lot, and NOT all one way stuff. My problem is the SNP has got absolutely NOTHING on the table, NOTHING.

YOU cannot deny that, and hence my continued interest in the subject. Folk are being sold stuff by salesmen, end of story, nothing on paper, nothing anywhere but bluster and silly smiles and folk are falling for it. Why are the SNP not honest and say "Hey guys, we've sorted nothing out "....WHY........

• Like 1

We're going to use the pound.

You can use chocolate buttons for all it's worth.

The name means nothing.

Very true Chicog... We could call it melting middles and tether it to the UAE economy given our oil reserves.

I will pass the idea along to Mr Salmond.

I see Lord transam has still not offered us his vision for a better Britain....together in union.

What's wrong mate?

I am not a politician, or business man. All I know is the union has done well, we ALL have security that we fought for. To me the breaking up of the union because of a few gung-ho folk is a travesty. That is my view.

BUT, since this stuff started I have read a lot, and NOT all one way stuff. My problem is the SNP has got absolutely NOTHING on the table, NOTHING.

YOU cannot deny that, and hence my continued interest in the subject. Folk are being sold stuff by salesmen, end of story, nothing on paper, nothing anywhere but bluster and silly smiles and folk are falling for it. Why are the SNP not honest and say "Hey guys, we've sorted nothing out "....WHY........

There is a whole pot of oil on the table transam.... And a whole world of difference in how we want our governments to behave.

Education is a key issue....in Scotland we take free education as a very serious issue....even those of us who are past the age where we will benefit.

What's wrong mate?

I sympathise with you -- westminster should have arranged the referendum for the whole of UK on the break up of the union.

With the deeper water and shale technologies that exist today - the folk north of that wall- know only too well that there is oil in those murky waters yet !!

And - so do the intellects too. Yes we do still have a couple or so.....so what is the big picture then?

Penny arcade song - gives a clue IMO !

• Like 1

"Scottish independence: FORMER SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars has claimed there will be a “day of reckoning” for major Scottish employers such as Royal Bank of Scotland and Standard Life after a Yes vote.

Speaking from his campaign vehicle the “Margo Mobile”, Mr Sillars insisted that employers are “subverting Scotland’s democratic process” and vowed that oil giant BP would be nationalised in an independent Scotland."

^^ Jpnix. It should have nothing to do with Westminster. They won't be your government after the inevitable Yes vote. It's down to Mr. Salmond this. There is clearly no plan.

That demonstrates a singular lack of understanding of how this whole scenario has arisen ;)

• Like 1

^^ Jpnix. It should have nothing to do with Westminster. They won't be your government after the inevitable Yes vote. It's down to Mr. Salmond this. There is clearly no plan.

That demonstrates a singular lack of understanding of how this whole scenario has arisen wink.png

Nope. You want independence, go and be independent, including your central bank, otherwise this is all a charade.

• Like 1

That demonstrates a singular lack of understanding of how this whole scenario has arisen wink.png

Nope. You want independence, go and be independent, including your central bank, otherwise this is all a charade.

that means you want to disenfranchise the rest of UK from voting on whether to break up the UK ?

What's wrong mate?

There is a whole pot of oil on the table transam.... And a whole world of difference in how we want our governments to behave.

Education is a key issue....in Scotland we take free education as a very serious issue....even those of us who are past the age where we will benefit.

Seems in "your" view the oil thing is "you" saying "Goodbye England and Wales, stuff you lot, we are off, thanks for taking care of us but now we don't give a toss cos got oil".

Yes or No....?

PS. In the bigger picture you will lose out if a YES, oil means sod all in relation to what you lot are given in hand outs....

Again following the Tory line of fear.

The reality within this vote is quite different....there is no hate....only a desire for better government.

Great news. Who cares what happens to England. We hate them and all they have done from tricking us into the Union, The Highland clearances, killing our Queen, Margaret Thantcher etc etc. I feel for the Welsh but. Maybe we could take them with us, Thatcher f****d them as well.

Personally I don't think we should accept a share of their debt and to you English who say it's better for England - ha ha ha, you are screwed without us.

And the Royal Bank of Scotland have said YES vote were off to London England. The polls in England are stronger for a YES than the neck and neck race at the moment in Scotland, so the majority of England wish you well in your quest for a YES vote.

Taking care of us???

Lmao.....remember the Poll Tax?

Your Iron Lady demanded £386 from me for that abomination at a time I was earning £250 a month.....my appeal for some relief on that was denied.

Yes we long remember what England has given us transam.

• Like 1

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable sad.png

I don't understand how Westminster is stalling on this? They've said No to Scotland using the pound. You might believe that to be a bluff, who knows, but they've all come out and said it. That's not stalling that's an answer.

I agree with MJP and this issue should be sorted out long before any vote, so you Scots know the exact situation. If Westminster says No as it has done so far, it's up to the Yes vote to come up with what they will use.

Again following the Tory line of fear.

The reality within this vote is quite different....there is no hate....only a desire for better government.

Yup clearly rolleyes.gif

If you're all so confident in being an independent nation why do you need to hang on to someone else's currency and central bank?

I want Scotland to be independent. I just don't think the Yes camp actually want true independence.

• Like 2

What's wrong mate?

Seems in "your" view the oil thing is "you" saying "Goodbye England and Wales, stuff you lot, we are off, thanks for taking care of us but now we don't give a toss cos got oil".

Yes or No....?

PS. In the bigger picture you will lose out if a YES, oil means sod all in relation to what you lot are given in hand outs....

Actually there is lots of oil and gas for everyone, both iScotland and rUK :)

The latest round of improvements to fracking undersea is just the first stage of this research which will benefit both countries.

The oil companies will take the revenues -- the governments will only get licensing fees and similar regulatory proceeds.

The oil and gas is not Scotlands not England -- it's BP's etc ;)

You not read that? Westminster is the problem -- they never tell everything beforehand. Even the latest pensions changes are unfathomable sad.png

I don't understand how Westminster is stalling on this? They've said No to Scotland using the pound. You might believe that to be a bluff, who knows, but they've all come out and said it. That's not stalling that's an answer.

I agree with MJP and this issue should be sorted out long before any vote, so you Scots know the exact situation. If Westminster says No as it has done so far, it's up to the Yes vote to come up with what they will use.

Westminster does not say no....the current Tory government says no.

Big difference.

Big difference.

Whaaaat?

Various MP's have said NO to iScotland using the pound, and some bankers too, but Westminster has not said anything.......

Don't forget that several other smaller countries use the pound already .. it's no big deal smile.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling

Edited by jpinx

that means you want to disenfranchise the rest of UK from voting on whether to break up the UK ?

If the Scots want independence, have independence. The rest of UK will no longer be your problem.

Time the English had a say if they want independence from the, Welsh, Northern Ireland . . .

Edited by MJP

Big difference.

Whaaaat?

The Tories are facing a battle with Farage at the next election....how is it going to look if the pound is weakened by Scotland taking another currency?.