Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

If there is Independence for Scotland in this vote, in regards to the Currency, is it just too simple an idea to use the existing Scottish Pound and simply peg it to the UK Pound?

Surely Scotland can't use the UK pound or the Euro?

Asking, not telling.

Hopefully and hopefully it will still be worth something, then at least the Scots may be able to dodge the coming debt armegeddon.

I have pondered the Royals involvement in all this. If they think the UK is going to collapse why not secure the Scottish nest and let the rest slide into oblivion?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there is Independence for Scotland in this vote, in regards to the Currency, is it just too simple an idea to use the existing Scottish Pound and simply peg it to the UK Pound?

Asking, not telling.

See my previous post regards Jersey or Guernsey David...answer is of course we can.

The Guv of the bank of England begs to differ on this point.

Really?

Is he planning to force Jersey and Guernsey to use potatoes as currency from next week onwards?

Another denial in the face of truth.

Independent Scotland 'would have to increase taxes by up to £18,000 per person to keep the pound' Mark Carney, the Bank of England’s Governor, writes to a Commons committee showing how much reserves are held by countries that use other nation’s currencies in the same way Mr Salmond has suggested Scotland could adopt the pound

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11090804/Independent-Scotland-would-have-to-increase-taxes-by-up-to-18000-per-person-to-keep-the-pound.html

Asking, not telling.

See my previous post regards Jersey or Guernsey David...answer is of course we can.

The Guv of the bank of England begs to differ on this point.

Really?

Is he planning to force Jersey and Guernsey to use potatoes as currency from next week onwards?

Another denial in the face of truth.

According to wiki, Jersey, Guernsey and Scotland are in a currency union with the UK which is why they can issue their own bank notes. If, as has been said, rUK refuses to continue in a currency union with a now independent Scotland what would happen then?

• Like 1

The governor of the Bank of England is has a greater understanding of scale of the economic problems that Scotland will inherit than big Alex.
16,000 jobs with the relocation of the Clyde Submarine bases, financial centres moving south, the end of warship building and now the retail industry has stated that prices may well have to increase if Scotland votes yes.

Salmond just wants his name down in history at any cost, preying on the austerity affected and anyone else 16/17 year olds who are likely to follow the flag blinkered.

• Like 2

@jpinx post No 764

Are you saying the Banks are covering themselves,in the event of a YES vote?

And is'nt RBS still owned by the British Government,which would be ironic if they had to change their name!

I'm suggesting what might be reasons for them to be doing a bit of CYA-ing wink.png

I believe RBoS is being split up into a "good" bank to continue to operate and a "toxic" bank to get treated in whatever way they can. There's a lot of unravelling to be done and we're not going to be able to second guess the details, but it's not a big deal. Banks come and go, merge and split, many times. Look at the shenanigans the Lloyds/TSB combo went through wink.png

If the RBoS is owned by the current UK government, then it'll be in the pot of assets and liabilities which have to be wrangled over between rUK and iScotland wink.png

RBS is owned by the UK tax payer, so in reality all their employees are civil servants.

RBS as said it will move it's HQ south if a Yes vote.

So the SNP get rid of their debt riddled bank and start a new one with chocolate smarties.

Do we accept chocolate smarties south of the border?

Should the unlikely YES happen in the forefront,so will the inevitable checkbin follow close behind! except Salmond who thinks he can plunder England and leave us in the South Bankrupt,what a silly man! reminds me of the stupid Mel Gibson "Braveheart "nonsense film. Much like Salmond...boo hoo England is bullying us! boo hoo! and when he is losing the debate, then it's you companies are ganging up on us,because you are moving your business down south,because Scotland is not viable anymore! and many other warnings from the experts who forecast the YES financial road to ruin!

• Like 1

Yes, but he's an economist, knows what he's talking about, why should the Scots listen to him, better to listen to all the ignorant hateful bigots in the narrow minded nationalist campaign.

A fact that I've overlooked until to-day, there has been much publicity that the Scot electorate Hate the Conservatives and that the Conservatives only have I MP, well if you look at the latest general election result in Scotland for 2010, you will notice that the SNP gained less than 20% of the total votes. 491,386. The Conservative and Unionist party gain 16.7 of the total votes cast. 412,855. So not a large difference there then, the only big difference is that the SNP finished up with 7 MP's.

• Like 1

The gloves are off.

Amazing how the BBC are spreading propaganda.

It's not a smackdown in any way, shape or form. Other than too a blinkered Yesser. To an impartial viewer, Salmond just makes himself look silly because at no point does he answer the question. He just blusters and diverts attention.
Nothing new thenrolleyes.gif
£?facepalm.gif

Three words from Salmond: Bluster and B*** S***

It gets boring!

• Like 1

It seems the momentum is stalling on Salmond's inability to explain how he's going to have a currency union with a country that will not let him.

Daily Record: No: 53%; Yes; 47%

That is one of the points I have been trying to point out, get across. To me voting on something important and NOT being given concrete answers is daft.

To me it seems that YES folk just want to be on their own, which sounds a bit archaic. The world has been trying to get rid of barriers, move on, get closer. BUT, you cannot get rid of hate, I personally have experienced it cos I am English. Sad but true, just because I ask questions they fear and don't want others to read, Very sad...........sad.png

Yep! just work in the North Sea for a few years and you will find your skills are hated as much as you,why? because they don't have enough of a particular skill,and have to reluctantly employ you!

So if we get the no vote it will show Scotland's commitment to the cause.

I expect after a no vote we will have....

The Bank of the United Kingdom

All bank notes will be from same Bank of the UK

No more separate sporting teams....always a UK side

A new inclusive national anthem

And of course Alex Salmond leading the new Labour Party.

Always a UK side, well it'll at least give some Scottish footballers the chance to go to the World Cup, or will it. Q/ What do you call a Scotsman taking part in the World Cup. A/ referee.

The no campaign have absolutely fluffed it tonight.....I can only suggest their whole campaign has been staffed by double agents such is their ineptitude!

Don't believe the Bluster and BS,it's not over till the fat man gives in!

The gloves are off.

Amazing how the BBC are spreading propaganda.

It's not a smackdown in any way, shape or form. Other than too a blinkered Yesser. To an impartial viewer, Salmond just makes himself look silly because at no point does he answer the question. He just blusters and diverts attention.

Nothing new thenrolleyes.gif

£?facepalm.gif

Maybe Alex Salmonds never thought the nationalist would succeed with a "YES" Just maybe he thought if they put up a strong showing the Westminster elite would come along and offer yet more concessions and inducements to those poor oppressed Scots. Well lets hope there is a "YES" vote , it sure will help the employment figures in the rest of the UK.

I don't mean any of them ill will, hope they all do great, but frankly I've had enough of hearing "the Englush this and the Englush thaaat, it's all the Englush's fault".

Vote Yes!

That will not cure the problem MJP

The English will still be the Butt of the whinging Scots no matter what ever the outcome!

• Like 1

Asking, not telling.

Ask Salmond,he seems to be the only one who knows and he dosn't want to talk about it!

love hime or loathe him Gorgeous George Galloway nails it ... gonna be No by a mile and then Westminster will never allow a fair election ever again as it had them really scared for a brief moment until the big guns came out determined to trash the movement.

http://theneedleblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/george-galloway-argues-against-scottish-independence/

Rarely agree with G.Galloway but yes, he nails it. It's about hated and divisiveness and it will turn out to be all about personal gain for the few. i.e, Salmond.

George is no favourite of mine,but boy did he perform tonight,while Nicola Sturgeon,was a damp squib,in need of a holiday!

Asking, not telling.

Ask Salmond,he seems to be the only one who knows and he dosn't want to talk about it!

The currency question has been done to death. There are lots of options for iScotland if rUK does not want to share the pound (and the national debt) whistling.gif

love hime or loathe him Gorgeous George Galloway nails it ... gonna be No by a mile and then Westminster will never allow a fair election ever again as it had them really scared for a brief moment until the big guns came out determined to trash the movement.

http://theneedleblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/george-galloway-argues-against-scottish-independence/

Rarely agree with G.Galloway but yes, he nails it. It's about hated and divisiveness and it will turn out to be all about personal gain for the few. i.e, Salmond.

I've also wondered from the start, why George Gallaway was't the leader of the No campaign instead of that dull Alistair Darling. Like him or hate him Alex Salmonds is a great orator and debater only surpassed on the Scottish scene by George. Me thinks, that maybe there are people in Westminster who would prefer a "YES" result the same as I and many, many Englishmen.

I've also wondered from the start, why George Gallaway was't the leader of the No campaign instead of that dull Alistair Darling. Like him or hate him Alex Salmonds is a great orator and debater only surpassed on the Scottish scene by George. Me thinks, that maybe there are people in Westminster who would prefer a "YES" result the same as I and many, many Englishmen.

Indeed !! The whole NO campaign has been very poorly run - indicating that there are many things going on in the background. Westminster has many reasons to want Scotland to be independent and maybe they are playing on both sides.

What I want to know is -- who's the referee? ;)

• Like 2

Perhaps this link might expose the '' Independence'' issue for the harsh reality it would be, Rule by Brussels and no doubt sinecures for the leaders of the cause.

Draw your own conclusions as to the ''truth'' of '' Scottish Independence.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11087302/Scots-wont-get-independence-from-a-Yes-vote.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11088316/Alex-Salmonds-independence-bandwagon-stalls-on-his-Black-Wednesday.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11088643/RBS-and-Lloyds-will-leave-Scotland-if-it-votes-for-independence.html

Edited by siampolee

Perhaps this link might expose the '' Independence'' issue for the harsh reality it would be, Rule by Brussels and no doubt sinecures for the leaders of the cause.

Draw your own conclusions as to the ''truth'' of '' Scottish Independence.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11087302/Scots-wont-get-independence-from-a-Yes-vote.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11088316/Alex-Salmonds-independence-bandwagon-stalls-on-his-Black-Wednesday.html

For a start, I don't believe a word I read in the Daily Torygraph.

• Like 2

Neeranam post # 835

And your sources of information are?

Why can't you or won't you post your sources comments to provide all of us interested in the matter a balanced set of comments?

Neeranam post # 835

And your sources of information are?

Why can't you or won't you post your sources comments to provide all of us interested in the matter a balanced set of comments?

Don't confuse an opinion with facts. Newspapers need to sell, so they cherry-pick facts and write opinionated and usually controversial articles so that people in here will have something to argue about ;)

Eat your heart out Scotland, you'll still be part of the U.K. We will still respect you too. In truth we have in hours of need always marched side by side.

Ye dinna wan Dadda Amin back do ye in the guise of Salomd do ye?clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprh8ElXgbU

Edited by siampolee

Ruled by Brussels or ruled by Westminster, there's not a lot of difference. Unlike many of our southern neighbours, we don't despise or look down on the Germans, French, Dutch, or even the Belgians.

• Like 1

Ruled by Brussels or ruled by Westminster, there's not a lot of difference. Unlike many of our southern neighbours, we don't despise or look down on the Germans, French, Dutch, or even the Belgians.

If your alluding to the rise of UKIP, you could't be more wrong, the British people want to remain on friendly terms with the whole of the EU,as trading partners. What UKIP is campaigning for is the the right to control our own boarders, and in so doing allow in only those people who will benefit the UK, without any discrimination as to nationality,race, religion or colour. Additionally to also control the British economy including the monetary system, this is called REAL independence, ring a bell.

If and I repeat IF the English now despise any other people perhaps it's those from up north.

Personally I don't think the majority think like that, certainly those who are NOT in the Nationalist camp, including those who voted in One UKIP MEP out of six, nearly gaining a second seat.

clap2.gif