Scottish independence: Yes camp hails 'momentum'

Lite Beer

^^ Yes.

tumblr_lsz184n7Vu1r0xrdm.jpg

I feel insulted by your derogatory remarks about Scotland and what relevance is Rab Nesbit? Typical English w@n**r

I see The Independent has Yes 8 points ahead.

Read post 46, it might make you feel better.

I wouldn't take any of this seriously, it's just Scots and Englush ribbing each other.

There are one or two who appear to take it very seriously indeed even if it happened centuries ago.

• Like 2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scotland voluntarily and enthusiastically signed up to the union in 1707, an act that in todays terms would be akin to the whole of UK becoming the 51st state of America. I don't particularly wish to see them leave, but I struggle at the thought that they might do so without the remainder ever having been asked.

Just my 2p

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

They want a currency union ( which means sharing economic policy) with the very people they wants to separate from. Jim Sillars let the cat out of the bag with his statement about day of reckoning and wanting to nationalise BP etc. What company is going to locate in Scotland after that. Who wants to go back to the 70's? All they have done is tear the country apart and made the Scottish look ridiculous.

Salmond has had the power to increase NHS spending and decrease taxes by 3 % for years with the already devolved powers, but he chooses not to do it...why?....because half the Scots didn't know that, and it is easier to induce 16 years old Children with half truths.

£27billion left the Scottish Financial System last week why were we not told that?

Hmm, making 60 million people who are currently our friends into foreigners and competitors doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.

Let's hope common sense prevails.

• Like 1

We're not seeking a currency union discussion now....we are looking for a landslide!

Not sure the English will dig you out of that old boy.

Lol we have a couple of days left.....this is going to be one hell of a vote!

It really is thrilling stuff Smoke's. When do we get Peter Snow and the Swingometer . . . makes a vote that does!

We're not seeking a currency union discussion now....we are looking for a landslide!

Not sure the English will dig you out of that old boy.

Lol we have a couple of days left.....this is going to be one hell of a vote!

It really is thrilling stuff Smoke's. When do we get Peter Snow and the Swingometer . . . makes a vote that does!

I'm hoping for the cast of Trainspotting....with Begbie out as the roaming reporter......

• Like 1

Here is a short clip for you.......please take the time to watch the full 19 seconds.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204890024635543

I really don't know why both the SNP and Westminster didn't sort out even the most basic details of both separation in the event of a Yes vote and the absolute essentials of what would follow afterwards.

I know I've said this before Smoke's and yes I know it's a vote about independence but surely this would be a lot better if the voters knew these basics without uncertainty . . . because the politicians really don't seem to either.

Here is a short clip for you.......please take the time to watch the full 19 seconds.

I really don't know why both the SNP and Westminster didn't sort out even the most basic details of both separation in the event of a Yes vote and the absolute essentials of what would follow afterwards.

I know I've said this before Smoke's and yes I know it's a vote about independence but surely this would be a lot better if the voters knew these basics without uncertainty . . . because the politicians really don't seem to either.

The Governor of the Bank of England does though! clap2.gif

• Like 1

The Governor of the Bank of England does though! clap2.gif

Well, at least it's some information. Real information has been lacking throughout this whole campaign, it's almost cloak and dagger on both sides. Scottish electorate are being treated very badly.

In fact the whole lack of information has worked well for the YES campaign overall.

Its allowed the issue to focus on how badly run the no campaign has been and their manipulation of mainstream media....coupled with the lies they have told has galvanised the YES campaign.

YES have won it so far using social media and people shaking hands throughout towns and cities all over Scotland for the last six months.

The no lot have been complacent.

I have a 73 year old lovely lady from St Andrews on my Facebook who I will call "Auntie Mary"....mainly because that's what I have been calling her since I was 2. Now I had no idea she had any political viewpoint at all until a month ago..... I get a couple of YES links a day from her....and sometimes personal messages sent out to all her friends. Lovely to see normal mild mannered grannies taking up the battle on social media sites and letting their voice be heard....simply magic!......the replies from others and likes from people whose views I have never sought is great to see too.

People are changing their vote from no to YES....in dribs and drabs all over Scotland as more and more conversations happen....I think its a wonderful thing to see a true democratic movement like this....and largely its been fuelled by a government who don't want to share the truth with us coupled by a very strong SNP leadership who have battled to make sure their lies are exposed.

Great stuff....I wonder how badly the no lot can screw it up by Thursday.....we watch in gleeful anticipation!

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 2

^^ I'm not sure it has Smokie. People are scared of change and especially uncertainty. If Salmond could have confirmed how transition would happen and how independent Scotland would actually work I reckon you'd have got your landslide. Of course none of us like Westminster. It's the same here in the South West.

That sounds like the option of simply using the English pound, much as Panama uses the US dollar. It does not impinge on English sovereignty and does nothing for Scottish independence - unless you think it is a wise move to constrain the freedom of action of Scottish governments.
  • Like 1

That sounds like the option of simply using the English pound, much as Panama uses the US dollar. It does not impinge on English sovereignty and does nothing for Scottish independence - unless you think it is a wise move to constrain the freedom of action of Scottish governments.

I think it's a good idea for Scotland until it finds its feet and organises a Scottish central bank. A smooth and painless transition as possible should be the immediate aims. None need to suffer because of silly politics.

• Like 1

^^ I'm not sure it has Smokie. People are scared of change and especially uncertainty. If Salmond could have confirmed how transition would happen and how independent Scotland would actually work I reckon you'd have got your landslide. Of course none of us like Westminster. It's the same here in the South West.

In fact people in Scotland are waking up to the fact that nothing is going to improve under the current system and choosing to vote YES.....its happening right now....for sure we don't know exactly what the future holds but we are gaining support for change......and the only change on the table is full independence.

In fact people in Scotland are waking up to the fact that nothing is going to improve under the current system and choosing to vote YES.....its happening right now....for sure we don't know exactly what the future holds but we are gaining support for change......and the only change on the table is full independence.

We'll see by Friday I guess.

Just looking at the comments to this . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29200793

I had a look at the lowest rated comments, here's one . . .

wulsy

13 HOURS AGO

The fundamental problem is that England is bankrupt after a YES vote. That's why the NO side exists, to stop the UK becoming a nothing in the world. I find it sad that this is the case but I don't see that we Scots have an obligation to be bled dry to support an incompetent Westminster Government. I wish the English all the best and hope that they can somehow redeem their disastrous economy.

Thing is I struggle to disagree with that. It's a mess in England. Unaffordable housing, even rents, food banks, pay day lenders, zero hour contracts, student debts which will never get repaid and they can't even go bankrupt to be free of them, the crazy deficits each year, the debt, the city . . . I could go on and on, but we all know.

Fair play to the Scots.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 2

In 1959 after becoming independent from Great Britain, the British Virgin Islands simply adopted the US dollar, which they still use. Many countries have done that. Many create their own currency and then trade it 1:1 for USD to create some feeling of security for users of their currencies.

I don't have an opinion about the upcoming vote, but Scotland wouldn't find it difficult to adopt a major currency.

• Like 1

In 1959 after becoming independent from Great Britain, the British Virgin Islands simply adopted the US dollar, which they still use. Many countries have done that. Many create their own currency and then trade it 1:1 for USD to create some feeling of security for users of their currencies.

I don't have an opinion about the upcoming vote, but Scotland wouldn't find it difficult to adopt a major currency.

The British Virgin Islands is in the Caribbean, has a population of 27,000 and has no industry at all to speak of. Trying to compare them to Scotland is simply absurd cheesy.gif

The British Virgin Islands is in the Caribbean, has a population of 27,000 and has no industry at all to speak of. Trying to compare them to Scotland is simply absurd cheesy.gif

That said though Sus, Bermuda uses the USD and retains British law I think.

All I can remember is was extremely hot and humid there, especially around mid-afternoon.

All I can remember is was extremely hot and humid there, especially around mid-afternoon.

The official currency of Bermuda is the Bermudan dollar which is pegged to the US Dollar. Their flag is the defaced Red Ensign.

• Like 1

I want Scotland to stay but, after due deliberation, I hope they go.

Because to stay would give the smug threeseome (Cameron, Osborne and Johnson - all members of the Bullinger Club, i.e. "Born to Rule" - neverending grins that would put the Cheshire Cat to shame and confirm which they already suspect inthat, apart from their business cohorts, we - including the Scots - are a simple folk worthy of little more than milking until we can be shipped off to the knacker's yard).

Just my opinion.

There is NO good outcome forthcoming from this Scottish referendum.

I'm damned if they leave (because I don't want them to) but I'm damned if they stay (because it reinforces aforementioned trio's positions).

Sad state of affair's for me, all in all. crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.ENG_hyc8Gu.gif

Because to stay would give the smug threeseome (Cameron, Osborne and Johnson - all members of the Bullinger Club, i.e. "Born to Rule" - neverending grins that would put the Cheshire Cat to shame and confirm which they already suspect inthat, apart from their business cohorts, we - including the Scots - are a simple folk worthy of little more than milking until we can be shipped off to the knacker's yard).

Just my opinion.

I'm damned if they leave (because I don't want them to) but I'm damned if they stay (because it reinforces aforementioned trio's positions).

Sad state of affair's for me, all in all. crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.ENG_hyc8Gu.gif

So your position is based on spite?

The official currency of Bermuda is the Bermudan dollar which is pegged to the US Dollar. Their flag is the defaced Red Ensign.

Yeah, that's it, remember now. Although they took USD the same, same, same.

Just my opinion.

_77608443_leaders.jpg

Yup.